PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G > HTC Evo 4G Accessories
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2010, 06:27 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: EVO 4G Carbon Fiber Skinned. ;)
Carrier: Sprint

Hrshycro is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Talking Carbon Fiber Skins for the EVO/Other Phones! $5 DIY - $20 Custom Made for You - PICS!

LIKE this on FACEBOOK!

Custom - I skin your phone:
$20 - You mail me your battery cover (or phone), I'll apply the vinyl and send it back to you as quickly as possible - includes return S&H.*

I'll do any battery cover - Several people are sending me battery covers from all types of android phones, from all over the world. If the battery cover doesn't cover the whole back of your phone, I'll send you a small piece to cover the rest of the back of the phone, if you'd like (you will have it apply it and cut it, however).

The local sprint store said they would save some smartphone battery covers for me, if they follow though (hopefully they do) I'll be offering them premade for $25.

PM or email me: hrshycro@gmail.com

*Standard return shipping unless otherwise specified.

DIY - You do it. Its not hard:

What you'll need: 4x6 inch piece of 3M DI-NOC, X-acto knife with sharp blade, cutting surface, hair dryer and about 30 mins of time.

Order a 4x6 inch piece of black di-noc carbon fiber vinyl (seen in the photos above), from me - $5 S&H included via USPS anywhere in the US.

Or...
Order up a $8 sample from carbonfiberfilm.com, which includes free shipping.

Find a piece of firm/thin cardboard (like the type from a cereal box), or other similar cutting surface.

Remove the battery cover and set the phone aside.

Make sure the battery cover is clean and free of any grease or dirt,

Align the vinyl with the case, remove the backing and then place it on as smoothly as you can. You can use a credit card to smooth any bubbles out, if needed.

Turn the hair dryer on low and proceed to slowly and evenly heat the vinyl, whilst doing so, smooth it outwards with your thumb and down around all the edges. If the heat is to hot for your hands, then it's hot enough for the vinyl.

Take your x-acto knife and use the battery case as your guide. Go slowly and make sure of where you're cutting before you cut, hopefully preventing any miscuts or scratches to the battery cover. Rough cut any extra vinyl around the outer edges of battery cover from the back to the front. Then, from the front to the back fine cut it to fit the edges of the battery cover.

The camera and flash holes are pretty easy. Start by cutting a smaller rough circle in them, then using the type of your blade, just follow the edges of the battery case holes trimming the excess away. Use the same idea for the kick stand.

After that, re-heat shrink it and make sure it's sealed down good around all the edges. Retrim any excess.

Punching the holes for the speaker is easy. Just fine a sowing needle that's just large enough to be pushed/pulled all the way though the larger holes. Personally, I would just do the larger holes. These may have to be redone down the road because pocket heat and normal usage seems to close some of them back up.

As seen on these blogs...
GoodandEvo.net
CarbonFiberFilm.com

Help me promote this on other forums and blogs, please. And, don't forget to like it on facebook!

Old 06-28-2010, 08:17 AM
The PPCG CR Guy!
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

Laos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Laos101
Re: Carbon Fiber Skins for the EVO/Other Phones! $5 DIY - $20 Custom Made for You - P

This will probably void your warranty or you'll need to buy another battery cover! That's my warning to interested users! I don't know if Sprint will be cool with you sending in a cover that you melted polycarbon fiber onto in the event a repair is needed.

On an unrelated note, that just looks so cool!

I'd do it if i had a spare cover or the money for a premade, lol

Last edited by Laos101; 06-28-2010 at 08:22 AM.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:52 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

TheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: Carbon Fiber Skins for the EVO/Other Phones! $5 DIY - $20 Custom Made for You - P

I don't see the point in doing this
Old 06-28-2010, 09:18 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: EVO 4G Baby!!!
Carrier: SprintPCS

D\/8 is halfway to VIP status based on repD\/8 is halfway to VIP status based on repD\/8 is halfway to VIP status based on repD\/8 is halfway to VIP status based on repD\/8 is halfway to VIP status based on repD\/8 is halfway to VIP status based on repD\/8 is halfway to VIP status based on repD\/8 is halfway to VIP status based on repD\/8 is halfway to VIP status based on repD\/8 is halfway to VIP status based on repD\/8 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

@TheBundo: There really is no point as CarbonFiberFilm doesn't gaurantee that the cover won't get damaged if you remove the film at a later date. So, you really can't say this is to protect the cover from scratches.

This is just a customization thing for those who like to the look... Personally, I like the look but it's not worth the hassel of finding a spare cover and shipping, etc...

@Hrshycro: If you come across and spare covers, I'd like to be on the notification list to order one... I'd like to keep my OEM one original and purchase the Carbon one from you. If possible can you shoot me an Private Message so I can place my order? It would be greatly appreciated!!!

TIA!
Old 06-28-2010, 10:21 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG v10
Carrier: T-mobile

clockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Looks nice, thanks for the option. Now to source replacement battery covers, I know HTC used to sell via their other store, but since they became that other store, PDAsomething, I've not checked.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:32 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Hrshycro is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laos101 View Post
This will probably void your warranty or you'll need to buy another battery cover! That's my warning to interested users! I don't know if Sprint will be cool with you sending in a cover that you melted polycarbon fiber onto in the event a repair is needed.

On an unrelated note, that just looks so cool!

I'd do it if i had a spare cover or the money for a premade, lol
I pulled some off my iphone last night and it came right off without anything left behind. Just heat it a little bit and it peels off easy as pie.

As far as the warranty goes, if you do exchange them, just keep this battery case and swap it with the new one; better yet, just keep both, because as long as it's from sprint, you don't have to send the old battery covers back, just the bare phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D\/8 View Post
@TheBundo: There really is no point as CarbonFiberFilm doesn't gaurantee that the cover won't get damaged if you remove the film at a later date. So, you really can't say this is to protect the cover from scratches.

This is just a customization thing for those who like to the look... Personally, I like the look but it's not worth the hassel of finding a spare cover and shipping, etc...

@Hrshycro: If you come across and spare covers, I'd like to be on the notification list to order one... I'd like to keep my OEM one original and purchase the Carbon one from you. If possible can you shoot me an Private Message so I can place my order? It would be greatly appreciated!!!

TIA!
See above. I'll post when I get some battery covers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockcycle View Post
Looks nice, thanks for the option. Now to source replacement battery covers, I know HTC used to sell via their other store, but since they became that other store, PDAsomething, I've not checked.
Well I've checked cnn.cn and they usually have every part under the sun; haven't found them anywhere yet. ;( Just hoping the sprint store comes though, but I'm also going to stop at some other stores and ask them.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:17 PM
xSD
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EViO 4G

xSD knows their stuffxSD knows their stuffxSD knows their stuffxSD knows their stuffxSD knows their stuffxSD knows their stuff

I've talked to you via e-mail. Make sure you PM/e-mail me as soooon as you have premade ones available haha.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:55 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint 4G

kash23 is keeping up the good workkash23 is keeping up the good work

Yea i'll go with a pre-made one
Old 06-28-2010, 08:03 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Hrshycro is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by kash23 View Post
Yea i'll go with a pre-made one
Well, if I can get some, I'll be offering those. If you want to go to your local sprint stores and ask for one, or several, I'll pay you for any extra that you get for me.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:35 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

99accordv6 is halfway to VIP status based on rep99accordv6 is halfway to VIP status based on rep99accordv6 is halfway to VIP status based on rep99accordv6 is halfway to VIP status based on rep99accordv6 is halfway to VIP status based on rep99accordv6 is halfway to VIP status based on rep99accordv6 is halfway to VIP status based on rep99accordv6 is halfway to VIP status based on rep99accordv6 is halfway to VIP status based on rep99accordv6 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

di-noc with a hair dryer works great!

I <3 Android

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G > HTC Evo 4G Accessories

Tags
carbon, custom, evo, fiber, skin