PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 3D > HTC Evo 3D Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2011, 10:42 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 3D - OMJ's Custom ROM
Carrier: Sprint

crensmeyer is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: [FAQ/Summary] HTC EVO 3D DEV FAQ's, Root Status, etc. [Updated: 07.02.2011]

From HTC's Facebook page...

"
**UPDATE 7/10**

We wanted to provide an update on HTC’s progress with bringing bootloader unlocking to our newest phones. We know how excited some of you are for this capability, and we’ve put significant resources behind making this change as soon as possible. While we wish we could flip a simple switch and unlock all bootloaders across our device portfolio, this is actually a complex challenge that requires a new software build and extensive testing to deliver the best possible customer experience.

We’re thrilled to announce today that software updates to support bootloader unlocking will begin rolling out in August for the global HTC Sensation, followed by the HTC Sensation 4G on T-Mobile USA and the HTC EVO 3D on Sprint. We’re in the testing phase for the unlocking capability now, and we expect it to be fully operational by early September for devices that have received the software updates. We'll continue rolling out the unlocking capability over time to other devices as part of maintenance releases and new shipments.

HTC continues its commitment to unlocking bootloaders and supporting the developer community. Because of the importance of this community to us, please expect an update on this about every few weeks as we make progress toward launch. Thank you for your patience and continued support!"
Old 07-10-2011, 11:17 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO 3D

scrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

I beat you by 14 minutes http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/htc-evo-3d...er-evo-3d.html

This is best news yet since release date!

Donations always accepted but never expected!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:47 PM
boe
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Touch

boe is keeping up the good workboe is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

That is great news!!!!

Last edited by boe; 07-10-2011 at 11:50 PM.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:59 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sammy Galaxy Nexus

Anon9mouz is keeping up the good workAnon9mouz is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Anon9mouz Send a message via Yahoo to Anon9mouz
Damn that just mean I might just keep phone but idk and I hope with this update we will have 2.3.4 as well

Sent from my PG86100-EVO3D-using Tapatalk
Kernel: Stock and loven it
I envy the dumb ones.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:48 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: ppc 6850
Carrier: SPRINT

gsanta is a n00b

Sorry if I should not be asking this question here. Is there anything I can do to increase my reception with the Evo 3D? I upgraded from the Evo 4G and dropped 2 bars in my work place, which leaves me with none. ( I do have my MSL # ) If anyone one needs to get there MSL, I called Sprint and told them about my reception loss. I suggested a hard reset. They walk me through and gave me my password(MSL).
Old 07-14-2011, 04:51 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

solarflarex is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsolarflarex is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsolarflarex is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsolarflarex is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsolarflarex is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

so does that mean the community isn't going to worry about trying to root the phone then?
Old 07-14-2011, 05:56 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 4G LTE
Carrier: SPRINT

leckey73 is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarflarex View Post
so does that mean the community isn't going to worry about trying to root the phone then?
Very good question.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:02 PM
VIP Member

scrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

No, rooting and unlocking the bootloaders are two different things.

Rooting means you gain complete control of the device, usually through a hack. Right now we have "Temp Root." Its temp because we cannot write to the device and have it stay permanently. Temp root give us the ability to do many things we could not normally do like WiFi tether and ad blocking...

Unlocking the bootloader will allow us to make the root permanent. It will also allow us to re-write the recovery with a custom recovery. A custom recovery means we can then flash custom ROMS.

The two kinda go hand in hand but I hope that clears it up some.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:25 PM
Almost a VIP
Carrier: SERO Premium

chong67 is keeping up the good workchong67 is keeping up the good workchong67 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

If HTC is going to unlock it, isnt that going to get Sprint mad? I want the Sprint Hotspot thing to work.

I remember the 4g was crack in 1 month? May 26 was 3D release. 1 more week to go.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:28 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

solarflarex is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsolarflarex is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsolarflarex is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsolarflarex is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsolarflarex is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrosler View Post
No, rooting and unlocking the bootloaders are two different things.

Rooting means you gain complete control of the device, usually through a hack. Right now we have "Temp Root." Its temp because we cannot write to the device and have it stay permanently. Temp root give us the ability to do many things we could not normally do like WiFi tether and ad blocking...

Unlocking the bootloader will allow us to make the root permanent. It will also allow us to re-write the recovery with a custom recovery. A custom recovery means we can then flash custom ROMS.

The two kinda go hand in hand but I hope that clears it up some.
That makes sense thanks. So basically it sounds like as soon as they release the bootloader unlock we will have perm root? well that is unless someone can hack the bootloader quicker than HTC releases i suppose. Sounds like a challenge to me =)

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 3D > HTC Evo 3D Development