PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2008, 09:58 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T
Threadstarter

stravy is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: diamond going back 4 treo 800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivraj View Post
dude.. this whole thread because u cant decide what to do. just man up and flash juicy's rom. i was a complete noob and i managed it easily. juicys rom does more than u think, including getting gps locks in mere seconds (with stock rom i had to wait up to 10-15min for a gps lock), QuickGPS, toggle options for beam and push mail on touchflow3D, internet sharing option on usb connection... i could go on and on. Also it eliminates almost all the lag experienced on the stock roms.
If you are a noob, then instead of downloading random tweaks, its actually much easier to flash the rom because juicy has done all the hard work for you. capiche?

Shivraj....did you read the entire thread before you posted....i started this thread to hear about what other people think about my decision to switch from a diamond to a treo 800.....my wife's treo 800 is working wonderfully since we got our new phones last week....whereas my diamond is doggin it a bit.....now i do not know about you...but when i purchase something i expect it to work as advertised.....now this may be an ideal desire in a not so ideal world but hey....that is me.....but many users on this site are saying that battery life improves over time.....hopefully that is the case.....i am noticing it too....yesterday was by far the best day for this phone as far as battery life goes....

as for your comments about juicy's rom that is great to hear....looks to be a great group of users and developers here that are doing some fantastic work......however...i use my phone for work constantly all day long and do not have the time to be tweeking it and have the possibility of something going wrong at this time.....i have been reading the stickys at the top of the forum to get an understanding of what is going on....however i still have lots of questions that i intend on posting in the appropriate threads.....hopefully within the next week i will have the time to flash to juicy's rom and get the little things ironed out.....if i just jumped in and did it and had problems then i would be figuring out the new problems and resolving them rather the dealing with just one issue right now of the battery life.

before i do anything i want to know everything i can about it before i just "do it".....like what stock functionality will i lose?.....i happen to use the voice command all the time....is that still included on the ROM?....if it is then i see that the long press talk is mapped to rotate the screen....can i remap the long press talk to still us the voice command?....like i said i have a lot of questions and i will get to them when i have time to read all the sticky's.....i have appreciated everyone input tremendously....you have stopped me from driving over to my local sprint dealer and exchanging the phone for the treo for the time being....

cheers
Old 10-09-2008, 10:16 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Most new phones from these carriers except BBs (don't like RIM).
Carrier: Sprint, ATT, Verizon AND T-Mobile. Yes, you read right.

snovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on rep

What are the Juicy's tweaks that result in these reported significant increases? Is it something that is beyond what the popular tweakers do? The registry values are well known and they don't make much of a difference (if any).

For those who don't wish to use a custom ROM, perhaps the Juicy settings can be tried on stock ROMs.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:57 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

ocbizlaw is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by stravy View Post
First let me say this phone is just amazing. The screen is mind blowing. The web is....well...the web. Doing anything on this phone is just so much fun but like everyone else the battery permformance is just too limiting. A mobile device is not a mobile device if you have to have it tethered to a power cord to use it. I am not a poweruser by any stretch of the imagination. Yesterday (which is my typical day). 8am to 5pm. Phone off of charger at 7:30 by 5:00 I am getting the warning that my battery needs to be replaced. My usage was as follows: 30min phone, 6 text, 5 min web, 1 youtube vid, and push email. Bluetooth was turned off, Wifi was turned off & Touch Flow was turned off, screen set to turn off after 40 sec but I turned it off manually when I was not using the phone. My wife has a Treo 800w with pretty much the same usage characteristics as me and her phone was at 80%. Location wise, we both work in an office with a window about 1,500 feet from each other.

Right now I think I am at about an 80/20 split. I am 80% decided to go to the treo but I am going to give this phone a few more days but I don't know how it could get better without a non stock ROM update. Even then it sounds like things aren't getting that much better.

Anybody have the inside track on anything that either HTC or Sprint are doing to resolve this? Alot of good people seem to be making some good headway here.

BTW - I just purchased my diamond 4 days ago and it is running ROM version 1.09.651.5 dated 8/4/08.
I didn't have time to read this entire thread because I'm on my way to work but I had to respond because I switced from the Treo 800w to the Diamond. The battery life on the Treo is worse, way worse, and the Treo is the worst phone i've ever had. In fact I had three of them in 60 days and they were all the same and all terrible. I'll post more when I get to the office but please, save yourself and don't do it.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:19 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
..but many users on this site are saying that battery life improves over time
i might have attributed this more to the "wow" factor the first few days though while you are playing with the new device and letting everyone else look at it...but i would have to say in my case the usage the device saw during that first day or two is rather insignificant....web for 10 minutes max....one youtube video and a quick 1 or 2 minute demo of teeter (which is really really really neat)

anyway

ocbizlaw.....what sort of problems were you having with the treo 800w that you needed to take it back so many times?....and how long ago was it that you purchased the treo?.....thx
Old 10-09-2008, 03:01 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

ocbizlaw is a n00b

Quote:
i might have attributed this more to the "wow" factor the first few days though while you are playing with the new device and letting everyone else look at it...but i would have to say in my case the usage the device saw during that first day or two is rather insignificant....web for 10 minutes max....one youtube video and a quick 1 or 2 minute demo of teeter (which is really really really neat)

anyway

ocbizlaw.....what sort of problems were you having with the treo 800w that you needed to take it back so many times?....and how long ago was it that you purchased the treo?.....thx
I had a ppc 6700 for several years. It died so I went into the Sprint store looking for a WM replacement. My options were limited so they suggested the Treo 800w. That was in mid June. The first one wouldn't sync with my computer, the battery lasted no more than half a day, it froze regularly and would turn itself off for no apparent reaons then would not restart for an hour or more at a time then it would just come back on.

I took it back into the store within a week and they gave me a second one. I had that one for about 2 weeks but it too would freeze at least daily, turn itself off for random blocks of time and the battery lasted about 4 hours. It would discharge on car charger then it wouldn't take a charge at all. But it did now sync with my computer.

About the fourth time it refused to charge after freezing I took at back and they gave me a third one but it had essentially the same problems. This was about two months after I got the first one. I went back pretty angry and they told me that if I would wait for the Diamond to come out they would let me swap the Treo for the Diamond. This was in late August. I made them email me confirmation that they would trade for the Diamond despite the 30 day exchange policy that had expired. I waited in the store until the email came on my phone before leaving.

The Treo was a nightmare so I really needed a new phone. Originally they told me the Diamond would be in the store on Sept. 2 which was about a week after I got the third Treo. On September 2 they told me it would be in on Sept. 16. On September 16 when it still wasn't in the store I called retentions and told them the whole story and that I had an email confirming that the store said I could swap but I couldn't wait anymore because the Treo was a joke. They honored the deal the store gave me and shipped me the Diamond and I shipped back the Treo.

I liked Diamond so much that I called Sprint back and told them I'd like to move an AT&T line I had to Sprint but that I don't get Sprint service at home while I do get AT&T service at home. They offered to send me a free Airave and waive the monthly charge so I cancelled the AT&T account, sold the iPhone that was on it and bought another Diamond.

Yes, battery life on the Diamond could be better but it lasts a full day unless I'm heavily using GPS but then I'm in my car so I have a charger. The Treo drained so much power when using GPS that it would die after 2 hours WHILE PLUGGED INTO MY CAR CHARGER. That drove me crazy because when it really drained, it wouldn't charge or turn on and I'd have to go to the Sprint store and get a new battery. That happened twice in addition to the three phones.

That's pretty much my Treo 800w story. I'm very happy with both my Diamonds.

Last edited by ocbizlaw; 10-09-2008 at 03:03 PM.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:53 PM
Almost a VIP

SprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocbizlaw View Post
I didn't have time to read this entire thread because I'm on my way to work but I had to respond because I switced from the Treo 800w to the Diamond. The battery life on the Treo is worse, way worse, and the Treo is the worst phone i've ever had. In fact I had three of them in 60 days and they were all the same and all terrible. I'll post more when I get to the office but please, save yourself and don't do it.
i would again second this that the 800 battery is worse than the diamond, by how much is your usage and what radios or gps etc you use or dont use. Overall ive found the Diamond to be acceptable and the 800 life was poor.

I also fully agree with the post above me i had many problems with 800's and had retentions swap me out for the diamond. Solely on battery and quality id give the Diamond the edge, but it will also depend if you want older hardware with a keyboard or newer hardware without. If the hard keyboard is a non-issue i saw stick with the newer hardware with better build quality and a little better battery.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:18 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocbizlaw View Post
That's pretty much my Treo 800w story. I'm very happy with both my Diamonds.
wow....that would have driven me nuts....glad sprint was able to take care of you though....thanks for your user experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintTouch08 View Post
i would again second this that the 800 battery is worse than the diamond, by how much is your usage and what radios or gps etc you use or dont use. Overall ive found the Diamond to be acceptable and the 800 life was poor.
this past week i have tried to keep my usage to a minimum....it looks to be getting a little better though.....i took it off the charger at 7:30 and returned home at 5:00...when i left the office it had 70% battery.....5 minutes of phone....one text message....5 minutes of internet.....and listened to 3 mp3s....push email all day long....however when i was driving home i had a 25 min phone conversation and the battery dropped to 20%....

here's an update on my wife's treo.....she took hers off the charger this morning at 7:00....12 hours later it is reading 76%.....she sent 1 text message.....5 min phone and push email all day long

i do not doubt anything you all are saying one bit.....her phone was bought the same day as me last week.....so maybe they have ironed out some of the kinks in the treo 800.....i really hope so for her sake....and mine too....because i am the one that has to fix it if there are any problems

i noticed juicy just posted a thread with the registry entry on extending the battery life....i am gonna have figure out how to edit the registry and try this.....i have edited the registry in windows before but never on a wm device

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond