PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2008, 12:07 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: 6850
Carrier: sprint

Justin311 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Diamond USB connection port loose - finally solved connection and activesync issue!

Well after the last 2 weeks battling with this thing, wondering why sometimes it would connect and most times not (thought it was my computer's software settings - wasted umpteen hours - can I backcharge sprint? ), I finally found the reason tonight:

The USB port is loose in the phone!

It happened after I had been messing with it, plugging it in and out. Set it down on the bed comforter and the wrinkle must have held the usb plug at just the right angle, all the sudden my activesync starts up. Pick it back up and it stops. Try wriggling plug back and forth and VIOILA everything works if I hold it at an angle. Man the tethering is fast on this thing...10 mbps!

Anyways just wanted to put it out there in case others are having issues. I'm going to wait a week and just return it and get a pro, was thinking about it anyways and this made up my mind. Hope the pro doesn't have the same QC issues!
Old 10-04-2008, 12:17 AM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1
Re: Diamond USB connection port loose - finally solved connection and activesync issu

good to know, glad you found the fix.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:53 AM
a2k
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Diamond
Carrier: Sprint and the occasional headaches

a2k is keeping up the good worka2k is keeping up the good work
Re: Diamond USB connection port loose - finally solved connection and activesync issu

Ditto, I too am having problem with the USB Port, BAD DESIGN!
Old 10-10-2008, 11:57 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

quarky42 is keeping up the good workquarky42 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via Yahoo to quarky42

I hate that the usb port isn't standard mini-b or mini-a. proprietary crap stinks.

I like the phone a lot though. Been using a ton.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:03 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: HTC Desire
Carrier: Telus

Mr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

Im happy to say that my diamond is solid. are you using the USB cable that came with it or a mini-b?

If I have helped you, you like my work, want to get me a coffee or you feel like you wish to help me get my next device.

feel free to its appreciated, but not required!

Thanks To everyone who donated!
Old 10-11-2008, 03:12 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep8notime is halfway to VIP status based on rep

It's not the cable, it's the port. My replacement Diamond has this problem and is very noticeable when using the headphones. If I wiggle the connector it will cut in and out. My first Diamond had the buttons not responding issue and now this
Old 10-11-2008, 09:04 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio™
Carrier: Verizon

y0himba is keeping up the good worky0himba is keeping up the good worky0himba is keeping up the good work
Send a message via ICQ to y0himba Send a message via AIM to y0himba Send a message via MSN to y0himba Send a message via Yahoo to y0himba Send a message via Skype™ to y0himba

I just got an insurance replacement on a Palm Treo 800w, same exact problem....
Old 10-11-2008, 09:25 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond

ken830 is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarky42 View Post
I hate that the usb port isn't standard mini-b or mini-a. proprietary crap stinks.
I don't have my Diamond yet, but from what I understand, it's not quite proprietary. It's designed as sort of a "super-set" of mini-USB. Fully compatible with USB Mini-B plugs.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:48 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2

quarky42 is keeping up the good workquarky42 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via Yahoo to quarky42

I have two Touch Diamonds. The formfactor is proprietary...it is not a standard shape port. This is very annoying.

I tried ordering a charger from ebay like I do for every phone I've ever had and they send me a mini-b style usb charger instead of one that fits my Diamond phone. I email them telling them that they said the charger was compatible but in fact it isn't so they quoted some poorly written sprint page about the phone and charger compatibility.

I took a picture of the port and sent it to them. That shut them up pretty quickly.

The stupid HTC style port doesn't hold the usb connector as tightly as the b-shaped usb does.

No they aren't compatible. Check out some pictures of the Touch Diamond via a google image search and you'll see.
Old 10-12-2008, 01:53 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Diamond

bcrooker is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarky42 View Post
I have two Touch Diamonds. The formfactor is proprietary...it is not a standard shape port. This is very annoying.

I tried ordering a charger from ebay like I do for every phone I've ever had and they send me a mini-b style usb charger instead of one that fits my Diamond phone. I email them telling them that they said the charger was compatible but in fact it isn't so they quoted some poorly written sprint page about the phone and charger compatibility.

I took a picture of the port and sent it to them. That shut them up pretty quickly.

The stupid HTC style port doesn't hold the usb connector as tightly as the b-shaped usb does.

No they aren't compatible. Check out some pictures of the Touch Diamond via a google image search and you'll see.
The USB port on the diamond absolutely is backward compatible with standard mini-b connector. I have a Touch Diamond and have had no problem at all using it with my existing USB cables (for sync or charging).

This is identical to the Mogul/6800.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond