PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2008, 12:04 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Most new phones from these carriers except BBs (don't like RIM).
Carrier: Sprint, ATT, Verizon AND T-Mobile. Yes, you read right.

snovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: i know why battery life sucks so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the7thson View Post
You mean it's the stock HTC wall charger that doesn't charge it up to 100%? I've been using an old Blackberry charger to charge the Diamond but I still get the immediate drop from 100% to 94-96% within a few minutes after unplugging.
Correct. When I use an outboard charger, the battery will remain at 100% for some time (even after a boot from inserting the battery).
Old 10-10-2008, 12:12 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC HD2
Carrier: T-Mobile

the7thson knows their stuffthe7thson knows their stuffthe7thson knows their stuffthe7thson knows their stuffthe7thson knows their stuffthe7thson knows their stuffthe7thson knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by snovvman View Post
Correct. When I use an outboard charger, the battery will remain at 100% for some time (even after a boot from inserting the battery).
Interesting.. I'm definitely not using the stock charger, but I still get the same drain. Guess I'll try and find another charger to test. What kind of charger are you using? Just a regular wall plug to mini-USB?

Thanks.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:30 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC mogul
Carrier: Sprint

aseidman is a n00b

Just exchanged my diamond for another. Heat issue and battery drain without use after only 10 hours. I was wondering if the battery drain could be caused by changing the active profile from 0 to 1, but then again that made the data connection work. Will have to see if the same thing happens with the replacement diamond.
Alan
Old 10-10-2008, 06:44 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

mardukeme knows their stuffmardukeme knows their stuffmardukeme knows their stuffmardukeme knows their stuffmardukeme knows their stuffmardukeme knows their stuff

Today i noticed my internet arrows were white even though I was not using and programs that would need to access the internet. Using Dot Fred's task manager to see what program was running that would need the internet. I saw rss hub was running in the background, even though I didn't even open it up today. As soon as I killed the process the arrows went grey. So then I disabled the auto update feature with rss not to update.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:54 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Diamond

cappy is keeping up the good workcappy is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by mardukeme View Post
Today i noticed my internet arrows were white even though I was not using and programs that would need to access the internet. Using Dot Fred's task manager to see what program was running that would need the internet. I saw rss hub was running in the background, even though I didn't even open it up today. As soon as I killed the process the arrows went grey. So then I disabled the auto update feature with rss not to update.
That may be a good find. I have seen the Data Connection go live today for no apparent reason. I just checked and RSS hub is set to update when Network is available. I just turned it off and will watch it. I have never even used RSS hub.

Thanks.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:40 PM
Almost a VIP

SprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by themuffinman View Post
That is so true, everyone wants it to be 10 times better, while running 10 times faster, and in a small a device as possible, something is gonna get sacrificed in the process. Personally I think I have been getting pretty decent performance out of my diamond. Admittedly, I haven't played with it too much since I am really waiting for the pro, so I put my girlfriend up to the task since she is a phonaholic and a textaholic. On a typical day of use: 9am off the charger, by 8 in the evening its at 40% to 50% which is acceptable in my opinion.
Id venture to guess this is the #1 top "problem" with people's batteries on this phone, not placing realistic expectations to their devices.

Ex. a guy in another thread said "i streamed a sports game for 3.5 hours and only had 50% left, why does my battery suck." Seriously.....realistic expectations.

3.5 hours of data and you want a full battery still? physically impossible. If that runtime is true thats GREAT battery life.

Im not saying the Diamond batterylife is excellent, great, or spectacular (or that there are SOME people with legit issues), but im SO tired of the whining based on unrealistic expectations. " Hmm i talked on my phone an hour and browsed 30 min and used gps why is my battery only 40% this phone sucks!!" if you have a legit issue than by all means vocalize it but more than half the posts on the topic are rediculous

Last edited by SprintTouch08; 10-10-2008 at 10:47 PM.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:48 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Most new phones from these carriers except BBs (don't like RIM).
Carrier: Sprint, ATT, Verizon AND T-Mobile. Yes, you read right.

snovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by the7thson View Post
Interesting.. I'm definitely not using the stock charger, but I still get the same drain. Guess I'll try and find another charger to test. What kind of charger are you using? Just a regular wall plug to mini-USB?

Thanks.
I'm using a universal charger bought from eBay. It works remarkably well.

On to another interesting finding...

If you read my posts, I live in a bad Sprint coverage area. It seems that the Diamond burns battery worse than other phones in bad coverage areas. Strangely, as bad as the coverage is, none of the phones ever go into roam. They just go to zero % coverage and acquire and back and forth on Sprint.

Last night, I forced my phone into roam. The coverage is still not excellent (35-65%) via Verizon, but here is what I found: With BT on, forced roam, between the hours of 11:30 PM and 7:30 AM (7 hours), it burned 1% battery. I turned on the screen a few times now and it's still at 65% (from 66% last night).

If I left the phone on Sprint/Automatic, the phone would have easily used 30-50% over 7 hours at idle.

Last edited by snovvman; 10-11-2008 at 11:38 AM.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:30 AM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Yep. It really wants to be on Sprint. It keeps trying hard to get there, when it's on automatic. Force roam turns that behavior off.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:31 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

mardukeme knows their stuffmardukeme knows their stuffmardukeme knows their stuffmardukeme knows their stuffmardukeme knows their stuffmardukeme knows their stuff

After making the change to RSS hub NOT to update when Network is available, and making a few calls, some text messages, 10 minutes surfing online and 14 hours later my phone only used 30% battery. If battery life continues this way I'll be happy with the phone.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:08 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Diamond

cappy is keeping up the good workcappy is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by mardukeme View Post
After making the change to RSS hub NOT to update when Network is available, and making a few calls, some text messages, 10 minutes surfing online and 14 hours later my phone only used 30% battery. If battery life continues this way I'll be happy with the phone.
Good news. Having moved on from the battery life itself, which is good unless the phone is defective, I have begun monitoring that Data Connection. Preliminary information says "watch that Data Connection." It has some issues, both in battery drain and answering phone calls. If it is on, even while inactive, it can (but not always) start a sustained battery drain. If it is on, even if inactive, it always causes at least a 2 to 3 second delay before my Answer button will work. If you do not hit the Answer button on the first ring or two, the call will go to voicemail.

Your RSS find was a good one because it turned on the Data Connection when it wanted. Also, I have GPS Today installed and I had to change the settings in it so that it would not automatically connect.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond