PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2008, 11:07 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG v10
Carrier: T-mobile

clockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Maybe, just maybe I might have found a hint to overheating.

You can use "advanced configuration" program by schaps to enable disable various settings easily. Removing the Phone Skin is one.

Did anyone notice that the GPS is always on? It also runs quickgps always downloading sat up dates, as well as the weather is also auto updating? These "chew" up battery and keep your phone constantly at use..

I turn most auto update off, location for GPS is also off.. My phone lasts longer than my Mogul, Touch, Apache ever did.. and I play with it alot more..

Sprint does Roam on Verizon, as well as Alltel, US Cellular and many others. Here you can view an exmaple of some older PRL interpretations and see a listing of which other carriers Sprint Roams on. http://www.rainyday.ca/~dialtone/sprint/sprint.htm

My Phone almost always has 4-5 1x CDMA bars, but only 3-4 EVDO bars.. Perhaps the unit tries to boost it's EVDO connection, especially with REV. A (which uses compression, perhaps further taxing the cpu on the unit).

-CC

Last edited by clockcycle; 09-30-2008 at 11:15 AM.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:18 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint SERO Premium
Threadstarter

mswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockcycle View Post
You can use "advanced configuration" program by schaps to enable disable various settings easily. Removing the Phone Skin is one.

Did anyone notice that the GPS is always on? It also runs quickgps always downloading sat up dates, as well as the weather is also auto updating? These "chew" up battery and keep your phone constantly at use..

I turn most auto update off, location for GPS is also off.. My phone lasts longer than my Mogul, Touch, Apache ever did.. and I play with it alot more..

-CC

I had already done those and agree.

I have TF3D off.
Push Mail Off.
I could swear when I had HTC Phone skin the GPS was off, but I recently noticed it was on using the Windows Mobile stock skin.

Battery life at idle is good.

A bug in the skin could cause overheating. I'm still not 100% sure it is a problem or not.

One thing that I think may have thrown me off is last night when I tried it my battery was low and it did not get hot.

This morning on full charge in a short call it did get fairly warm pretty quick.

We know on previous HTC phones they throttle things back (even in the radio) when the battery was low. The infamous my calls go to voice mail on low battery.

So what may have happened is the phone was throttled back.

When throttle back it seems to run fine. I'd love to tweak these throttling thresholds.

Now I have had one call go to voicemail that should not have. It was at the end of the day and the battery may have been low.

It's my understanding that a major element of this is the slot cycle index.

By the way it is NOT the battery that gets hot.

It's behind the buttons and I assume the radio and processor are down in this area.

We don't know if it's the processor or the radio or a combination that causes the heat.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:26 AM
VIP Member

clockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Also consider; the ambient light sensor, as well as the other vairous sensors on the unit (i.e. stylus, multi-touch area, gsen) as a cause of battery drain.

I am willing to bet that the CPU and RAM/ROM are all crammed on the bottom half of the phone. As well as the charging mech, USB stuff and Dpad..

My guess is that there is some sort of voltage regulator in that area that causes it get a bit warmer in that area as well.

I would assume the Radio portion is up near the antenna towards the top.

-CC
Old 09-30-2008, 11:28 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: HTC Desire
Carrier: Telus

Mr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

Quote:
Also consider; the ambient light sensor, as well as the other vairous sensors on the unit (i.e. stylus, multi-touch area, gsen) as a cause of battery drain.

I am willing to bet that the CPU and RAM/ROM are all crammed on the bottom half of the phone. As well as the charing mech, USB stuff and Dpad..

My guess is that there is some sort of voltage regulator in that area that causes it get a bit warmer in that area.

I would assume the Radio portion is up near the antenna towards the top.

-CC
All radio is actually packed into the bottom of the device under the hardware buttons. thats why it gets hot in call some one took there diamond apart and you can see the radio heat shield there all the guts appear to be in the bottom of the device

If I have helped you, you like my work, want to get me a coffee or you feel like you wish to help me get my next device.

feel free to its appreciated, but not required!

Thanks To everyone who donated!
Old 09-30-2008, 11:37 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggalo_X View Post
All radio is actually packed into the bottom of the device under the hardware buttons. thats why it gets hot in call some one took there diamond apart and you can see the radio heat shield there all the guts appear to be in the bottom of the device

Sweet, go a link to the pictures? I'd like to see a tare down of the Diamond.

-CC
Old 09-30-2008, 11:39 AM
Retired Staff

Mr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
Sweet, go a link to the pictures? I'd like to see an take apart of the Diamond.

-CC
its in the diamond camera pictures thread probably about 5 pages back now
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:27 AM
Retired Staff

Quote:

Sprint does Roam on Verizon, as well as Alltel, US Cellular and many others. Here you can view an exmaple of some older PRL interpretations and see a listing of which other carriers Sprint Roams on. http://www.rainyday.ca/~dialtone/sprint/sprint.htm

My Phone almost always has 4-5 1x CDMA bars, but only 3-4 EVDO bars.. Perhaps the unit tries to boost it's EVDO connection, especially with REV. A (which uses compression, perhaps further taxing the cpu on the unit).

-CC
thanks for informing me i was wrong i would tend to go with your theory on the EVDO then because again the radio rom is different for a reason. and i think its chewing your battery.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond