PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2008, 06:13 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint SERO Premium

mswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Maybe, just maybe I might have found a hint to overheating.

First this issue is really bugging me.

I had been trying to shut everything down and nothing has helped.

I think everyone agrees the issue is DURING a call it heats up pretty fast (and sucks battery fast).

I was making a flurry of calls, and call waiting today (which the phone handled quite well by the way).

And one time when the phone popped up it showed one of the previous calls.

And you know that little letter that shows "m","h" etc. for mobile home etc. was flipping out, non stop spinning through that whole contact over and over.

No huge biggy, just yet another glitch.

Then it came to me that perhaps the Skin has a bug in it that is chewing up CPU. This is a not so difficult a bug to imagine and I write windows UI's for a living and it wouldn't be the first I made an error like this that the UI is sucking down the CPU because I didn't follow the rules and did something really dumb. When the app is running "normal" it may be constantly updating that field but normally you don't see it. But by luck I caught it off guard and it revealed itself. Then again I may be completely all wet too.

So I dug through the registry to disable the HTC skin. Just to see how it might behave with it off.

So I renamed HKLM\Security\Phone\Skin
To HKLM\Security\Phone\Skin_

And rebooted.

I just made a 30min call and it was warm, but in no way hot. Longest call I've actually made and much shorter calls have made it hotter. My battery was low too to start and I was amazed I didn't run out.

This is a huge wild guess and it may be completely off. But it will take a couple days to verify and go back to HTC Skin to verify.

If you want to wait, just hang in there and I will report back.

If you want to try it please do and report your findings.

I'm not sure yet. Usage varies a lot and so does the heating up. So it's hard to say immediately if it helps or not.

I'm just sharing my hunting.

Last edited by mswlogo; 09-29-2008 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Fixed a few typos
This post has been thanked 6 times.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:19 PM
tmz
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC EVO & Pro2
Carrier: sprint

tmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the communitytmz is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Re: Maybe, just maybe I might have found a hint to overheating.

Im giving it a try, I will let you know how things work out,

Thanks for looking for a solution....

T M Z
Old 09-29-2008, 07:38 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G
Carrier: Sprint

jason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

giving it a shot too
Old 09-29-2008, 10:10 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: 1 Evo LTE 1 Samsung GSIII & Toshiba Excite 10

meccadon123 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmeccadon123 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmeccadon123 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

thanks to all who are attempting to find a fix for this ridiculous problem. I'll be looking fwd to seeing your results.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:40 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

jason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

She still got hot last night, but I will see what today brings.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:37 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch

laestrella is a n00b

i too changed the reg entry as suggested. but i noticed that once i made the change the data connection arrow bars were always on (the ones next to the EV icon). it constantly stayed on and would not turn grey even though i had no apps running and push was turned off. Once i changed back the registry entry the problem was fixed. anyone else notice this?
Old 09-30-2008, 09:51 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: HTC Desire
Carrier: Telus

Mr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

Ive tested Juicy's rom Idol Discharge to the telus rom. and its exactly the same. but sprint rom is proving to be difficult to make like the telus rom even with the same base rom just different carrier provisioning. the more and more i think. the more im blaming the sprint battery on there radio rom as its different. SINCE sprint does not roam on Verizon towers, Sprint had to get HTC to modify the Radio rom to amp it up a bit to keep it from dropping calls in low signal areas. this is why a) your device gets so hot in some calls and not in others. Signal difference and the radio may or may not be going into over drive. and 2) Battery drain on idol. because the radio is using more juice even at idol to keep a lock on the towers.

Since telus roams the other major service provider here in Canada via contract we have stronger signal available usually with out the radio working very hard or as hard as the srpint one.

there is my theory, Note, Sprint and Telus use different radio versions.

i Highly doubt a graphical phone skin can cause this issue. the only possible way is if it was maxing out the GPU rendering for the 3d in it at 100% which i find doubtful. the skin would have no effect on the radio and its power draw on the battery while in cal... the radio has the effect on battery drain. im definitely going to say this is just a coincedence and thats it.

If I have helped you, you like my work, want to get me a coffee or you feel like you wish to help me get my next device.

feel free to its appreciated, but not required!

Thanks To everyone who donated!

Last edited by Mr. X; 09-30-2008 at 09:54 AM.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:32 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: I have Evolved.

chappy is halfway to VIP status based on repchappy is halfway to VIP status based on repchappy is halfway to VIP status based on repchappy is halfway to VIP status based on repchappy is halfway to VIP status based on repchappy is halfway to VIP status based on repchappy is halfway to VIP status based on repchappy is halfway to VIP status based on repchappy is halfway to VIP status based on repchappy is halfway to VIP status based on repchappy is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Since when does Sprint not roam on Verizon?
Old 09-30-2008, 11:07 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG v10
Carrier: T-mobile

clockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on rep

You can use "advanced configuration" program by schaps to enable disable various settings easily. Removing the Phone Skin is one.

Did anyone notice that the GPS is always on? It also runs quickgps always downloading sat up dates, as well as the weather is also auto updating? These "chew" up battery and keep your phone constantly at use..

I turn most auto update off, location for GPS is also off.. My phone lasts longer than my Mogul, Touch, Apache ever did.. and I play with it alot more..

Sprint does Roam on Verizon, as well as Alltel, US Cellular and many others. Here you can view an exmaple of some older PRL interpretations and see a listing of which other carriers Sprint Roams on. http://www.rainyday.ca/~dialtone/sprint/sprint.htm

My Phone almost always has 4-5 1x CDMA bars, but only 3-4 EVDO bars.. Perhaps the unit tries to boost it's EVDO connection, especially with REV. A (which uses compression, perhaps further taxing the cpu on the unit).

-CC

Last edited by clockcycle; 09-30-2008 at 11:15 AM.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:18 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint SERO Premium
Threadstarter

mswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockcycle View Post
You can use "advanced configuration" program by schaps to enable disable various settings easily. Removing the Phone Skin is one.

Did anyone notice that the GPS is always on? It also runs quickgps always downloading sat up dates, as well as the weather is also auto updating? These "chew" up battery and keep your phone constantly at use..

I turn most auto update off, location for GPS is also off.. My phone lasts longer than my Mogul, Touch, Apache ever did.. and I play with it alot more..

-CC

I had already done those and agree.

I have TF3D off.
Push Mail Off.
I could swear when I had HTC Phone skin the GPS was off, but I recently noticed it was on using the Windows Mobile stock skin.

Battery life at idle is good.

A bug in the skin could cause overheating. I'm still not 100% sure it is a problem or not.

One thing that I think may have thrown me off is last night when I tried it my battery was low and it did not get hot.

This morning on full charge in a short call it did get fairly warm pretty quick.

We know on previous HTC phones they throttle things back (even in the radio) when the battery was low. The infamous my calls go to voice mail on low battery.

So what may have happened is the phone was throttled back.

When throttle back it seems to run fine. I'd love to tweak these throttling thresholds.

Now I have had one call go to voicemail that should not have. It was at the end of the day and the battery may have been low.

It's my understanding that a major element of this is the slot cycle index.

By the way it is NOT the battery that gets hot.

It's behind the buttons and I assume the radio and processor are down in this area.

We don't know if it's the processor or the radio or a combination that causes the heat.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond