PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2008, 11:34 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Hero w/Touch Pro on the bench
Carrier: Sprint

MILH0U5E is keeping up the good workMILH0U5E is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sprint Diamond and Ebay

With the release just a week or two away, I thought I would throw a question to the masses.

How many people will buy this phone on Ebay when it is officially released?

I know it has been mentioned before how you can save so much dough by buying a phone on Ebay, and adding it to a plan, or just beginning service... but how safe is it?

I bought a Treo 700P a few years ago when it first came out from some phone dealer on Ebay. They billed my Sprint account for the phone, but all the rebates and discounts were applied immediately. There was some funny things that went on with my account after that, but it was all resolved.

So again, is buying the Diamond (or any phone) on Ebay from an online cell store safe?

Opinions, past experiences, and/or reccomendations are very much appreciated.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:22 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

lxcivic4life is keeping up the good worklxcivic4life is keeping up the good worklxcivic4life is keeping up the good work
Re: Sprint Diamond and Ebay

I personally would not do it based on a family member's experience. My cousin bought a Sprint Touch back in December from ebay. The seller noted that it was used but works great. When my cousin got it, he could not activate it because its ESN was blacklisted by Sprint as a stolen phone. So he could not activate it on Sprint at all. He eventually unlocked it and used it on Cricket (They will activate any CDMA phone). But still that was money down the drain.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:48 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Mogul

ilkhan is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxcivic4life View Post
I personally would not do it based on a family member's experience. My cousin bought a Sprint Touch back in December from ebay. The seller noted that it was used but works great. When my cousin got it, he could not activate it because its ESN was blacklisted by Sprint as a stolen phone. So he could not activate it on Sprint at all. He eventually unlocked it and used it on Cricket (They will activate any CDMA phone). But still that was money down the drain.
Your cousin fails the most basic security precaution of buying a CDMA phone, checking the ESN.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:18 AM
Coz-erator
Pocket PC: Sprint Galaxy Note 2 & other misc digital devices

CozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to CozBoogie Send a message via Yahoo to CozBoogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilkhan View Post
Your cousin fails the most basic security precaution of buying a CDMA phone, checking the ESN.
Agreed...."buyer beware".

late,
Coz

Last edited by CozBoogie; 09-12-2008 at 12:15 PM.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:35 AM
The Pusher Man
Pocket PC: BB
Carrier: Sprint - Simply Everything

Lsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I have bought many Phones off of Fleabay/Craigslist and will continue to.

Lets just for a number say 30 off Ebay.
Only one I bought was bad and it had water damage but a lot have been brand new.

I also always ask for the ESN off any phone before I buy them,
but in my head I have bought more phones from Sprint that have been bad than on Ebay.

Last edited by Lsme420; 09-12-2008 at 01:32 PM.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:16 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Hero w/Touch Pro on the bench
Threadstarter

MILH0U5E is keeping up the good workMILH0U5E is keeping up the good work

What about the online sellers that actually have you do a contract and deeply discount the NEW phone to buy with them? There are many posts for brand new Touch phones right now, that are basically free with sign up. Now they will not be offering the Diamond for free, but I bet it could be as low as $150.

My reason for asking is because I am out of contract with Sprint and should I decide to buy the Diamond, I do not want to break the bank if I don't have too.

So, is anyone familiar with these types of sellers? And if so, what experiences have you had/heard about.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:21 PM
The Pusher Man
Pocket PC: BB
Carrier: Sprint - Simply Everything

Lsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on repLsme420 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Never did that only bought them out right. For a discount like that I would go to the Sprint store and get the same thing.
Either way its a 2 year contract with discounts just the Sprint store you can go there in person. Also return if you have issues.

Last edited by Lsme420; 09-12-2008 at 12:23 PM.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:28 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evo 4G LTE

Sauske is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSauske is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSauske is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I buy phones off of eBay and don't have problems, but as mention before CDMA 101 - always check the ESN. I had one issue but it was resolve b/c i only pay thru pay-pal and when the product was not delivered as described they refund you the money (well at least I did). You also aviod contract extention......meaning I only buy the phone out right! Hate contracts
Old 09-12-2008, 01:38 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4g

Tenny is becoming a PPCGeeks regularTenny is becoming a PPCGeeks regularTenny is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to Tenny

Never bought of ebay, but really considering it with the diamond. With the Vogue drivers not coming around, and touch flo being so sweet, I am very tempted.

Will def. buy one outright though, I don't want to lose my SERO.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond