PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2010, 02:41 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: TP2 & HD2
Carrier: Sprint & T-Mobile

rhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: numeric signal meter?

FieldTrial should work far better than any task bar signal meters for adjusting your external antenna. In FieldTrial, look at the Rx Power -dbm number in 1X and HDR sections. The lower the -dbm number is, the better the signal. For example, anything under -80dbm is normally considered a decent to good signal in HDR or 1X, -70dbm to -60dbm is very good, and anything in the -60dbm to -50dbm range is excellent. Also, make sure to change the Sample Rate to 1 second for 1X and HDR, as this quicker refresh rate will help you make faster antenna adjustments.

Hope this helps...
Best to all,
R
This post has been thanked 4 times.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:03 AM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)
Carrier: Sprint

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor
Wirelessly posted (HTC Diamond: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint MP6950SP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhacy
FieldTrial should work far better than any task bar signal meters for adjusting your external antenna. In FieldTrial, look at the Rx Power -dbm number in 1X and HDR sections. The lower the -dbm number is, the better the signal. For example, anything under -80dbm is normally considered a decent to good signal in HDR or 1X, -70dbm to -60dbm is very good, and anything in the -60dbm to -50dbm range is excellent. Also, make sure to change the Sample Rate to 1 second for 1X and HDR, as this quicker refresh rate will help you make faster antenna adjustments.

Hope this helps...
Best to all,
R
Wow!
Interesting!
I love learning new info like this.
Hey, here's an idea.
You could maybe make a new thread here with info like this or a tutorial about how to enter and use the FieldTrial and/or other DEBUG Tools.
Sounds like a great candidate for a Sticky!
Old 05-06-2010, 08:53 AM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead
Carrier: T-Mobile
Threadstarter

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhacy View Post

Hope this helps...
Best to all,
R

thanks, now how do I do the same for evdo (instead of 1x)?
Old 05-06-2010, 10:13 AM
Regular 'Geeker

rhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangekid View Post
thanks, now how do I do the same for evdo (instead of 1x)?
Oops, guess I should have clarified, the HDR (High Data Rate) section is for EV-DO (Evolution-Data Optimized) in FieldTrial, and normally the -dbm numbers there will be lower on average for the same quality signal as 1X, if it helps or makes sense...

Factoid: High Data Rate (HDR) was the initial name for the standard now abbreviated as EV-DO or EVDO, or EV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by horndoctor View Post
[/SIZE]

Wow!
Interesting!
I love learning new info like this.
Hey, here's an idea.
You could maybe make a new thread here with info like this or a tutorial about how to enter and use the FieldTrial and/or other DEBUG Tools.
Sounds like a great candidate for a Sticky!
Thanks horndoctor, lol... Guess I never thought it was interesting enough for most members. Plus, using the site search feature should already yield all the info one could need.

Best to all,
R
Old 05-06-2010, 10:19 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G
Carrier: Sprint

jason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Thanks to you I ran the field trial checking my signal strengh along the way to work this morning (~25 minute drive). In areas where I can't call I was around -92 dbm. Here at work I have no signal and am at -104 dbm.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:21 AM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead
Carrier: T-Mobile
Threadstarter

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhacy View Post
Oops, guess I should have clarified, the HDR (High Data Rate) section is for EV-DO (Evolution-Data Optimized) in FieldTrial, and normally the -dbm numbers there will be lower on average for the same quality signal as 1X, if it helps or makes sense...

Factoid: High Data Rate (HDR) was the initial name for the standard now abbreviated as EV-DO or EVDO, or EV.

Thanks horndoctor, lol... Guess I never thought it was interesting enough for most members. Plus, using the site search feature should already yield all the info one could need.

Best to all,
R
yeah i figured the HDR out, thanks.

Searching the site is a great idea and I highly recommend it, it really will solve most issues. Every once in a while you get something that you can't find the perfect answer though. Appreciate the data.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:51 AM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangekid View Post
yeah i figured the HDR out, thanks.

Searching the site is a great idea and I highly recommend it, it really will solve most issues. Every once in a while you get something that you can't find the perfect answer though. Appreciate the data.
Good to hear... And yes... I completely agree about using the site search function. Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason25 View Post
Thanks to you I ran the field trial checking my signal strengh along the way to work this morning (~25 minute drive). In areas where I can't call I was around -92 dbm. Here at work I have no signal and am at -104 dbm.
Normally, with Sprint, I can hold a stationary call (1X) in the -100dbm to -90dbm range. When driving, the signal break point depends on the local, specific handset, as well as environmental and other factors. Anyway, glad to hear FieldTrail has helped pinpoint your local dead spots. Cheers!

Best to all,
R

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond