PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > WP7 HTC Devices > HTC Arrive/7 Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2012, 08:58 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Apache(PPC6700)->Touch Pro-> TP2-> Arrive
Carrier: sprint

Esmartuek is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Using TEP for once for replacement

I dropped my phone for the last time yesterday. I jumped on the Sprint site to make use of my Total Equipment Protection thing and they overnighted it here (it's being held at fedex still?)
I took the opportunity to rip my phone apart, since I've been dying to since I bought it the day they came out.

My biggest concern: I can't do anything with the SDHC. It's locked/encrypted? I need to erase it's contents. I don't need Sprint or Asurion or whoever snooping in files that they should not be seeing.
Should I just bite the bullet and open up the new one when it comes in and toss in my old SD?
I honestly don't care about upgrading the SD, I just wanted to erase that SD before I send it in. The circuit board in the phone is toast, it's fractured from the fall (the phone has taken quite a few falls, way more than I would expect any phone to withstand... all up until this one without a scratch)

Also, has anyone used TEP after having 'voided the warranty' by unscrewing that top screw? Do they care even if you paid out that $100 deductible? (I can imagine they would care if it were any other type of failure, but physical damage sounds like open game for playing with the innards)
Old 01-05-2012, 09:08 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

sal475 is just getting started
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Re: Using TEP for once for replacement

I have replaced three phones in the past 10 yrs with sprint. They were lost and was never asked for the return of the phones. Now in wanting to open up my phone to do the 32gb upgrade I found that you can format the card, but need to use other devices... Look at this link.

[REF] - Confirmed Devices for unlocking WP7 encrypted SD Cards - xda-developers
Old 01-05-2012, 03:38 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

No need to worry about them snooping the contents of the card as it will be reformatted if they insert it into a different device. Reformatting will either:

1) erase all data on the card.
or
2) create a different partition with only the unused section of the card rendering the other section inaccessible.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:53 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D
Carrier: Sprint

yankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
That's one reason why I always buy a phone with external memory card. But just in case, is the reason you can't do on the broken phone because its damaged so much you can't turn on? Good luck. The arrive is a nice looking phone.

Sent from my HTC EvO 3D... On The Now Network
Old 03-10-2012, 08:40 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Apache(PPC6700)->Touch Pro-> TP2-> Arrive
Carrier: sprint
Threadstarter

Esmartuek is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Sorry about the massive delay in this post.

I ended up very carefully reading the instructions that came with the replacement, they stated: remove all accessories, batteries, and SD Cards from the phone before sending the damaged unit back.
I took that to be very literal, even though I'm sure they didn't expect me to crack it open and yank out the card... that's exactly what I did.
I was also able to salvage my old screen protector and reapply it to my new phone.
In short, I had no worries about the SD Card anymore, even though I had pretty much junked it by trying to wipe it.
They also sent me a NIB phone, with 3 spare batteries, 2 wall-wart plugs (with cable), and a spare headset. All of that on top of what was in the box.
I made off like a bandit =D

PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > WP7 HTC Devices > HTC Arrive/7 Pro