PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > WP7 HTC Devices > HTC Arrive/7 Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2011, 06:39 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Axim x51v and TouchPro 2 now Arrive
Carrier: Sprint

JohnMcD348 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Is there any way to use WM programs on the WP7

ok, I've been dealing with poor TP2's now for a few months and cannot get a decent refurb that doesn't have issues. Sprint has offered to give me an Arrive to replace it with but my problem is that I use a couple of Medical Programs on it that don't have a WP7 version. I have found similar programs that have a WP7 version but I'd like to keep the ones I have and use.

I know nothing about WP7, only what I read when it was first introduced and it seems that nothing from WM is supposed to work with this newer OS. Am I correct or is there a way to make them work?

Thanks
Old 07-18-2011, 07:24 AM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Re: Is there any way to use WM programs on the WP7

I dont know about the medical programs but I do know that if u install the mango beta u should be able to do just as much as u did on the tp2 and then some, if there's not yet an app u need u can request a wp7 version from the developer.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:21 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG V10, iPhone 6 and Nokia ICON
Carrier: Verizon

DavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to DavidinCT Send a message via MSN to DavidinCT

To answer your question clearly. If you need an application that works on Windows Mobile (6.1/6.5 etc) it would need to be repogrammed to work in WIndows Phone 7.

SO, out of the box, a Application designed for Windows Mobile WILL NOT work on a Windows Phone 7 device.

As Eric said, Windows Phone 7 is worlds better than a 6.5 device, re-written from the ground up.

http://mc.anywherecool.com/Blog/
If I helped in anyway, please hit thanks !
Old 07-18-2011, 01:12 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

OK, thanks for the input. That's what I thought. I've written to Tarascon about it but don't know if they have it in their plans to create a WP7 version or not. they don't even list the WM version anymore.

The other issue I may have, is the lack of an SD card in the newer phones. How has that effected storage and usability? I've always been one to try and keep my main memory as clean as possible by loading my programs/data onto the SD/CF cards ever since my days with the iPAQ and Axims.

Thanks again for the help and insight. I still have a lot to learn adn catch up on. I only started using Smartphones last year when I finally took the step to stop carrying my PTT Phone and Axim x51v with me everywhere I went.

Bonus for me is that, according to the store rep, if I take the Arrive as a freebie trade in on my TP2, it won't affect my upgrade path at the end of the year so I can get one of the newer models thats coming down the channel later in teh year.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:07 PM
VIP Member

DavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMcD348 View Post
OK, thanks for the input. That's what I thought. I've written to Tarascon about it but don't know if they have it in their plans to create a WP7 version or not. they don't even list the WM version anymore.

The other issue I may have, is the lack of an SD card in the newer phones. How has that effected storage and usability? I've always been one to try and keep my main memory as clean as possible by loading my programs/data onto the SD/CF cards ever since my days with the iPAQ and Axims.

Thanks again for the help and insight. I still have a lot to learn adn catch up on. I only started using Smartphones last year when I finally took the step to stop carrying my PTT Phone and Axim x51v with me everywhere I went.

Bonus for me is that, according to the store rep, if I take the Arrive as a freebie trade in on my TP2, it won't affect my upgrade path at the end of the year so I can get one of the newer models thats coming down the channel later in teh year.
As for the SD card, it comes with a 16gb card, it can be upgraded to 32gb but, you have to pull the phone apart (yea, pull it apart, AKA remove screws,etc) and can change it but, all your data will be lost on the upgrade and the card you pull will be almost unreadable in other devices (yea, there is work arounds but, dont always work). As long as 16gb is ok for your needs, it should not be a problem, I loaded a ton of apps and music on mine and I still have over 8gb free.

So you know, Windows Phone uses it's SD card as memory, so it will use its internal memory and the SD card in a raid 0 type config, so it's one drive.

I came from the same deal as you, I still have my HP hx4700 I used as a PDA with a cell phone (with tethering with bluetooth), I used to have a keyboard, GPS kit and everything for it. I moved to a Windows Mobile 5, 6, 6.5 device and never looked back.

If you can live with out your app for now, or can get another one to fit the bill, you can't go wrong with WP7, you will love it. It's faster, stabler, and smooth. What a major upgrade from the TP2 (and I did have one of those for almost a year and 1/2). At first glance it's not too fancy with the color tiles but, you will learn to love the instant updates on them. Simple to get your data when you need it.

And, you can get one with out changing your upgrade date ? Dam, I'd go for it, if you, again, can live for the time being with out your app.

I do know how important thos apps are

Trust me, there is a bunch of small apps from WM that I wish I could use on WP7 but, for the better OS, I can live with out them.

Enjoy !

Last edited by DavidinCT; 07-18-2011 at 02:14 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:27 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Ok, thanks. I didn't realize they actually had an SD card INSIDE the phone. I thought it had the standard memory modules as was in most phones and htey expected you to create storage "in the clouds". I talked with the guys a Tarascon and I'l just suscribe to their web based edition of the Pharmecopiea for now and they are working on the WP7 version. If thati pans out, I may delay my interest in going Droid. 16Gb is probably more than enough for me at this point in time. I think even back int eh days of my 2210/2415/x51v I didn't carry much more than about 6gb total between the two cards.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:36 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Ok, thanks. I didn't realize they actually had an SD card INSIDE the phone. I thought it had the standard memory modules as was in most phones and htey expected you to create storage "in the clouds". I talked with the guys a Tarascon and I'l just suscribe to their web based edition of the Pharmecopiea for now and they are working on the WP7 version. If thati pans out, I may delay my interest in going Droid. 16Gb is probably more than enough for me at this point in time. I think even back int eh days of my 2210/2415/x51v I didn't carry much more than about 6gb total between the two cards.

If your a Windows Mobile guy like I have been for many years (and it appers you have), You'll love WP7... Give it a fair shot, I don't think you will be disapointed.

I do still have my 2gb card when I had my hX4700...the good old days...

Enjoy !
Old 07-18-2011, 03:36 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

Quote:
I can attest to this 16gb is enough especially if u are going to get a Zune pass, u can stream all the music u want on demand wherever u have a data or WiFi connection. and with VEVO u can watch almost any music video u want wherever. as soon as u get it tho I recommend that u install the mango beta on it, doing this will give u SkyDrive access to save ur documents,pics and videos. also the ability to chat on Facebook, link mailboxes and more!
Old 07-18-2011, 06:00 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Thanks but I'll hold off on rooting and installing Betas for now. I rely on my phone and can't risk bricking it. Ill wait till the actual upgrade comes out and then install it. Isn't that part of what the whole redesign for WP 7 was, to make it more like our own PC's that we can install/upgrade? Or will this still be an issue where we have to wait for Sprint, or whatever carrier, releases it for us?
Old 07-18-2011, 11:04 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Mogul > TP1 > TP2 > Arrive > SGS3 > SGS4 > LG G4

esqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuffesqueue knows their stuff
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

To the first question. No, someone would have to make some sort of emulator which will not happen. The medical application should be available after the official mango is released. There will be lots more WP7 applications when it becomes more mainstream. Which IMO can't be before mango comes out.

To your question about WP7 being redesigned, from my experience with WM6.5, it was always slower then most phones that I used, it lagged and was unstable requiring more restarts that I wanted to deal with. From my WP7 experience, their goal is stability and speed which they have greatly succeeded on accomplishing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinCT View Post
If your a Windows Mobile guy like I have been for many years (and it appers you have), You'll love WP7... Give it a fair shot, I don't think you will be disapointed.
Enjoy !
I always thought that most Windows 6.5 users on this site would enjoy android. What windows 6.5 had going for it was it's ability to be customized which I think that android dominates. As for speed, dependability and insanely quick boot times, WP7 can't be beat IMO. I do agree that he will not be disappointed though.

I honestly hated the whole Windows Phone 7 thing before giving it a try. After my TP2 broke I went if for a replacement and while waiting I saw an arrive. Played with it for a few minutes and loved how quick it was, how useful the search was and how it just worked. I then found out about the Sero Premium plan then I was sold. I would have gotten an epic 4g long ago but the loss of my sero plan kept me with the TP2. I'm happy that I waited.

Last edited by esqueue; 07-18-2011 at 11:15 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > WP7 HTC Devices > HTC Arrive/7 Pro