PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > WP7 HTC Devices > HTC Arrive/7 Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2011, 11:15 AM
Retired Moderator
Pocket PC: NULL
Carrier: NULL

[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Alright, I've spent over 2 weeks with the phone now...

Worst part is that battery technology doesn't have anywhere to go without some pretty extreme breakthroughs... They're limited by chemistry at the moment, you can't increase their efficiency and capacity without making them significantly more dangerous, toxic, and volatile.

Lithium ion batteries are pretty safe. If you look at a periodic table, Li is in Group I. Of you move down one period to sodium, you get a much more reactive metal. Lithium by itself reacts with water because all metals of Group I have a single valence electron. Water is very polar and pulls the electron towards it to try to satisfy its outer shell. Sodium explodes when it comes in contact with water. Potassium... well, even more explosive.

Those kinds of batteries have to be in compounds, normally Lithium bonded with another metal and oxygen. The higher the energy, the greater the output. But... the higher the energy normally mans larger molecule, which leads to bulkier and heavier batteries.

So manufacturers are stuck trying to maximize battery size so their phones can keep up with the lack in battery technology advancement. Start closing your apps and don't count on any breakthroughs soon. lmao
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:16 PM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead
Carrier: T-Mobile

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid
Re: Alright, I've spent over 2 weeks with the phone now...

I get just as good battery life on Android as I do on WP7 if I tweak my settings, choose my kernel wisely, pick a good scaling governor, and set good profiles.

The thing is that in Android apps running in the background are mostly managed by RAM and don't really require much processing so they don't chew up battery really, I can get a full day out of WP7 or Android just fine.

Android requires a more experienced user, if you have 4G, WiFi, GPS, and full brightness turned on as well as refresh for all your widgets in 30 seconds and a bunch of crap open as well as using ATK every minute because you think freeing up RAM will help something in Linux then you won't have battery for shit, but both to me are just as good.

I use Android to tether, stream music (while multi-tasking), USB storage, and some apps and games.

I use WP7 for Netflix streaming, so I'm good with both ATM, just gotta tweak each to fit you.

PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > WP7 HTC Devices > HTC Arrive/7 Pro