PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2007, 03:33 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: UTStarcom 6700 Apache

passosjd is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Unhappy Phone functions? Help!

Hi, Ive just bought an UTStarcom PPC 6700 Apache and am really disapointed with the phone's functionality.Some really basic functions, found on early mobile phones are missing and I cant figure out why Microsoft ignored them.

My two main problems right now:
1) Sound volume - there are no preset profiles for sounds and vibration (like in ALL normal mobile). Can I create sound profiles? How?
2) Contacts - Can't set a ringtone to a group of contacts, have to set the ringtone to each and every of my contacts (there MUST be another way)
3) No OBEX - Any hack posible?

Is there anything I can do to improve my phone? Can I change the entire OS?

Thanks,
D'Acosta
Old 10-12-2007, 05:03 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: XV6700
Carrier: Verizon

TMB_XV6700 is just getting started
D'Acosta,
Welcome to the board. I'm sure with some time you'll come to know (and love) your new Apache. As a quick answer, there are tons of things you can do to improve this phone - probably more than for any other phone (in the US, anyway). First thing to do is to read the stickies at the top of this forum - all of them should take about a week. By then you should be ready to flash to an updated rom (and forget most of the tweaks and hacks you learned by reading, because they're already included in the new roms.)

Here's some attempted answers to your questions:
1) The sound volume itself is the Achilles heel of this phone. Even after doing all the tweaks, chances are it still won't be loud enough for you. Good sound profiles require 3rd Party software or one of the latest roms incorporating HTC Home. I use (and strongly favor) PhoneWeaver.
2) I've never tried assigning separate ringtones to contacts, but this groupwise editing sounds like something Pocket Informant should be able to do.
3) OBEX supposedly works already. See here: http://ppc6700users.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=658 and here: http://howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=855158
Old 10-12-2007, 08:02 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: XV6800
Carrier: VZW

weedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to weedahoe Send a message via MSN to weedahoe Send a message via Yahoo to weedahoe
You can use Photo Contacts Pro to assign certain ringtones for certain contacts

As for volume, well I know for a fact that if you want a more loud of a ringer you can use Photo Contacts and set it to "OUTDOOR". When I do that to mine it gets CrAzY LOUD.

As for earpiece loud, you can try to following reg edit. Some people say they notice a difference while others say we are crazy and its in our heads.

Change Voice Codec (VOCODER) from EVRC to 13k on xv6700

First dial ##778
Tap on "Edit"
Enter Unlock Code 000000
Tap on arrow to upper left hand of screen to reveal drop down menu where it says "Display"
Select "CDMA Settings"
Click and hold on the "EVRC Enabled" line under the Settings column
Select "Edit"
Switch to "Disabled"
Then press "ok"
Click and hold on the "Home Page" line under the Settings column
Select "Edit"
Switch to "Voice 13k"
Repeat for "Home Orig" and "Roam Orig"
Old 12-28-2007, 12:55 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung
Carrier: VZW

Sarge, USMC is just getting started
Didn't make my phone louder.

What is that ##778 for? I mean I saw where it took me, but what was I looking at?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache