PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2007, 08:08 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

Karmashock is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Ok... Is there any reason I shouldn't upgrade to 1.4?

I ask because I saw that there were some bugs or errors that people were getting with the new kitchen and I really don't need new problems with this...

Can anyone give me a quick break down of what the pros and cons are of the new kitchen?
Old 08-11-2007, 08:25 PM
Deep Thinker
Pocket PC: Tin Can
Carrier: Atomic Vibration

gguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Pro:
  • Faster
    More memory available for your use
    Some broken things work (bluetooth!)
    more stable
    no junk-ware
Con:
  • voids warranty
    No support - if you need hand holding, your carrier will be of little help
    accident's happen - you might brick your phone (rarely permanently)
The bottom line is, if you're happy with what you have, stick with it. Most everyone here has had one problem or another that custom ROMs help with or fix - and they're willing to take all responsiblity when it goes wrong upon themselves instead of calling their carrier.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:58 PM
Indigenous Nudist
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

Torx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIP
there should be NO REASON NOT to upgrade to the latest and greatest kitchen.

download the 1.0.4, read the instructions(super easy to follow, if you skip the "adding in cabs and crap"), use the tools to build and upgrade..

super easy, super fun, very stable.
youve already made the first big step, joining this community, the next big step is UPGRADE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-11-2007, 10:50 PM
Deep Thinker
Pocket PC: Tin Can
Carrier: Atomic Vibration

gguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributions
yeah, despite the cons I listed above, unless you're a total whiner ('cause nobody wants to help a whiner) you should upgrade. ROMs built off of Helmi's 1.04 will make you fall in love with your 6700 again. If nothing else, you won't want a 6800 unitl they have a kitchen!

And it realy is super easy.

There are some tough things you need to know before you start though:
  • who's your carrier? (if you don't know perhaps you should stop now)
    what version bootloader do you have? (If you don't know, press and hold the cassette key, the power key, and the reset button all together until the screen goes dark (about 2 secs). Now read the hard to read version on the bottom of the screen. Press Reset to exit bootloader)
    Do you have about 450MB of free disk space? (make it so, number one)
    Do you know how to back up your PIM stuff? (synchronize...you'll lose whatever you don't store somewhere else)
    Have you backed up everything of any importance on your PPC? (copy is your friend...and an SD card is really handy)
    Do you use and know how to configure your email account? (if you need certificates or IT support, now's a good time)
    Do you have the serial numbers of all your purchased apps? (get ready to reinstall all you stuff and personalize everything again)
    Do you know how to clear Memory? (hold in both softkeys (the keys with the '-'s on them) and the reset button (about 2 secs) Use the keyboard to answer the question)
yep, that's it. Don't go crazy including things on your first attempt - stick with the defaults (plus required selections like your carrier) a time or two so you know what success looks like.

May the Force be with you.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:05 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Karmashock is a n00b
Hmmm... I guess I should clarify here... I already used the 1.0.3 rom to upgrade my phone some time ago.

My question is not so much about the difference between 1.0.4 and stock as it is about 1.0.4 versus 1.0.3

I was reading through the 1.0.4 thread and it looked like there were a lot of bugs and that worried me a bit.

What are the pros and cons of kitchen 1.0.4 versus 1.0.3?
Old 08-12-2007, 12:00 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Apache (PPC6700); Titan (Mogul)

luv2chill is keeping up the good workluv2chill is keeping up the good work
Send a message via ICQ to luv2chill Send a message via AIM to luv2chill Send a message via MSN to luv2chill Send a message via Yahoo to luv2chill Send a message via Skype™ to luv2chill
You need to understand that it's difficult to assess the true bugginess of one of these things because there is no "standard" ROM (nor physical environment) to give any constants here--everything is a variable.

So most of the bugs you see reported are specific either to a given 3rd party OEM package, some interaction between two or more OEM packages, user error, or some combination. Others will be seen by some people some of the time (the ones who reported it) and others never.

The biggest advantage (you really should review the changelog at the bottom of the sticky post which shows you ALL changes between revisions) is the correct core is now included--meaning that it mates the proper files from the newest AKU 3.5 OS version along with the newest Apache-specific stuff from the Bell ROM.

That has always been the case for the kitchen itself, but the core has some extra-special files in it that in previous versions of the kitchen were using one older file or another. 1.0.4 is the first release with the rebuilt core in it.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:04 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Karmashock is a n00b
sorry, I had a hard time with that thread.

What specific improvements are there in 1.0.4 over 1.0.3? Sorry, I did read it but I felt some of it was talking about improvements over the stock rom instead of 1.0.3 ...
Old 08-12-2007, 01:09 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Apache (PPC6700); Titan (Mogul)

luv2chill is keeping up the good workluv2chill is keeping up the good work
Send a message via ICQ to luv2chill Send a message via AIM to luv2chill Send a message via MSN to luv2chill Send a message via Yahoo to luv2chill Send a message via Skype™ to luv2chill
Quote:
you really should review the changelog at the bottom of the sticky post which shows you ALL changes between revisions
Those are the specific improvements. I can't spell it out any more clearly than that.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:03 AM
jt3
Lurker

jt3 is a n00b
I think the bottom line is... If you're not having any issues with your 1.03 build, then there's no compelling reason to upgrade to 1.04.

However, if you ARE having problems, or if you're going to reflash anyway (perhaps to add/subtract something from your current build), then you might as well use the latest kitchen. It may fix the issues you're having (maybe even issues you don't yet KNOW you're having), and it will certainly be the most "supported" kitchen through these forums.

For example, I am having zero issues with my 1.03 build. I've had no lockups, no excessive battery drain, my bluetooth works for a change (both A2DP and my Acura's HFL), etc., etc. Thus, for me, there's no compelling reason to screw with that build, so I'm not upgrading. However, my dialer-of-choice breaks SmartDial, so if I ever decide to fix that by changing dialers, I would probably use the 1.04 build to do so.

Finally, remember... with a decent backup-package, there's very little risk in trying out the 1.04 ROM. If it doesn't work for you, simply flash back to your 1.03 build, and restore your backup (to get any post-flash changes you've made). Easy-Cheesy.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:12 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Karmashock is a n00b
very well... I'll start turning the few cabs that I want on here into "oem" folders...

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache