PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2007, 04:51 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Whitestone
Carrier: Verizon

w0rdie is becoming a PPCGeeks regularw0rdie is becoming a PPCGeeks regularw0rdie is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
BREW Running on Windows Mobile 5?

My carrier offers "Unlimited Internet" via BREW driven browser for the small clamshell phones for $5.99 or "Unlimited Data" for PPC/Blackberry for $39.99.

I was running the Gmail java midlet using the Java run-time environment and it occurred to me that Brew is just a modified Java environment; why couldn't I just install something similar to emulate BREW and use a BREW based browser rather than paying forty bucks a month for data.

Can it be done?
Old 08-08-2007, 05:42 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: vogue/titan/omnia/ sprint touch pro gone vzw
Carrier: vzw

angel12 is becoming a great contributor
the thing is, your carrier knows you are on a ppc/blackberry just by your esn number.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:31 AM
Almost a VIP
Threadstarter

w0rdie is becoming a PPCGeeks regularw0rdie is becoming a PPCGeeks regularw0rdie is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Thats fine, I just want to know if I can emulate the BREW environment.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:37 PM
Almost a VIP
Threadstarter

I see a Brew folder when I load the phone in QPST!~
Old 08-09-2007, 06:13 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Apache + HTC Diamond
Carrier: Cellular South

the18thtee is just getting started
Yeah, i have often wondered the same thing and i was thinking that BREW would be a whole lot better than the 40 dollar plan, but they always say the phone isnt BREW capable, which is crap because this phone is capable of everything and a whole lot more compared to those clamshells. Let me know if there is anything i can do to assist your "investigation"
4. Give THANKS to those who deserve it!
Old 08-09-2007, 10:59 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Titan

OffUrRcker is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to OffUrRcker
The browser itself is irrelevant, all that matters is the plan. You are getting the same data on a VCAST phone as you are with an XV6700 on the unlimited data plan for $45. Your carrier figures you're going to use the internet more with IE and a big screen and keyboard, so they charge you more. It's just discriminating. Unless you can trick a retarded CS agent to give you an MOU data plan, your only option is to change your esn. It's not difficult, just illegal. It works well if you have a clamshell you know you won't use, just use that esn. And I didn't tell you to do it. :]
Old 08-09-2007, 11:28 PM
Almost a VIP
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by the18thtee
Yeah, i have often wondered the same thing and i was thinking that BREW would be a whole lot better than the 40 dollar plan, but they always say the phone isnt BREW capable, which is crap because this phone is capable of everything and a whole lot more compared to those clamshells. Let me know if there is anything i can do to assist your "investigation"
I'm still working on it... damn I want to work this out.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:29 PM
Almost a VIP
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffUrRcker
The browser itself is irrelevant, all that matters is the plan. You are getting the same data on a VCAST phone as you are with an XV6700 on the unlimited data plan for $45. Your carrier figures you're going to use the internet more with IE and a big screen and keyboard, so they charge you more. It's just discriminating. Unless you can trick a retarded CS agent to give you an MOU data plan, your only option is to change your esn. It's not difficult, just illegal. It works well if you have a clamshell you know you won't use, just use that esn. And I didn't tell you to do it. :]
The PPC tries to go over #777 where as the BREW connection doesn't. As far as I know.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:56 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: apache
Carrier: china telecom

jnjn is a n00b
Send a message via ICQ to jnjn Send a message via AIM to jnjn Send a message via MSN to jnjn
Quote:
Originally Posted by w0rdie
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffUrRcker
The PPC tries to go over #777 where as the BREW connection doesn't. As far as I know.
No. The device WILL dial #777 with another username/password.

You can use EPST to check your default username/password on the page named "M.IP settings". If you change the option to "Simple IP only" it will use the username/password you've specified in the connection settings. Here in PR China, the carrier uses "BREW/BREW" with brew and "CARD/CARD" for internet access. And there's an "SMTP/SMTP" for push mail.

Anyway, brew stands for "binary runtime environment" which is designed by quallcom for their MSM processors (arm core?? no idea). Thus I've no idea if it can only be implemented on other cpus. But I guess it is not that simple to do that.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:33 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Titan

OffUrRcker is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to OffUrRcker
Yeah, W0rdie, I'm sorry, but it does indeed dial #777. The phone provider assumes you don't need to know this, because it's technically not costing you anything but minutes. I don't know about the vzw interface, because it sucks, but on all of my motorolas, when data is being used, I get a little data indicator at the top; it has connected via #777.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache