PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2007, 12:35 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Whitestone
Carrier: Verizon
Threadstarter

w0rdie is becoming a PPCGeeks regularw0rdie is becoming a PPCGeeks regularw0rdie is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnjn
Quote:
Originally Posted by w0rdie
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffUrRcker
The browser itself is irrelevant, all that matters is the plan. You are getting the same data on a VCAST phone as you are with an XV6700 on the unlimited data plan for $45. Your carrier figures you're going to use the internet more with IE and a big screen and keyboard, so they charge you more. It's just discriminating. Unless you can trick a retarded CS agent to give you an MOU data plan, your only option is to change your esn. It's not difficult, just illegal. It works well if you have a clamshell you know you won't use, just use that esn. And I didn't tell you to do it. :]
The PPC tries to go over #777 where as the BREW connection doesn't. As far as I know.
No. The device WILL dial #777 with another username/password.

You can use EPST to check your default username/password on the page named "M.IP settings". If you change the option to "Simple IP only" it will use the username/password you've specified in the connection settings. Here in PR China, the carrier uses "BREW/BREW" with brew and "CARD/CARD" for internet access. And there's an "SMTP/SMTP" for push mail.

Anyway, brew stands for "binary runtime environment" which is designed by quallcom for their MSM processors (arm core?? no idea). Thus I've no idea if it can only be implemented on other cpus. But I guess it is not that simple to do that.
So if I get the "BREW Access" enabled on my account I can access the web via #777?
Old 08-10-2007, 12:47 PM
Almost a VIP
Threadstarter

w0rdie is becoming a PPCGeeks regularw0rdie is becoming a PPCGeeks regularw0rdie is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
I just enabled the $5.99 Brew Access package and #777 works fine... the question here is at the end of the month will I see some massive "out of plan" usage charges or will this be the best deal I've ever found since getting on board with this rinky little provider 4 years ago!?

I'll update when I know more.
Old 08-11-2007, 04:49 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Apache + HTC Diamond
Carrier: Cellular South

the18thtee is just getting started
w0rdie,

If this is real you have just made me the happiest person in the world! Seriously!
Please log into your account on CellularSouth.com and check your charges (or call 611 and ask) so i know whether this is amazing or just a tease! Regarding your "out of plan" thing, I would seriously doubt that they would charge you for anything, because you really arent doing anything wrong, you are just using the BREW service for all they know.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW SOMETHING SOON!
4. Give THANKS to those who deserve it!
Old 08-12-2007, 02:22 PM
Almost a VIP
Threadstarter

I've logged in a few times to check it out but didn't see any thing out of the ordinary... then again with the unlimited voice plan I'm not sure that I would.

My billing cycle ends in a week... I'm just going to sit tight and look on my statement... if there are no charges there then I'm good to go.

If there are charges the fact of the matter is my phone isn't even BREW capable and the 611 rep should've told me that before letting me add a feature that I wasn't going to be able to use and on top of that would be billed per KB for... so I am not paying any overages.

Free test.

I suggest you call and add the feature... or you can do it online, if you call and they question your device say that you're a BREW software developer and you plan on using the BREW Connect to test your software using a virtual machine.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:09 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Any updates on the BREW charges? Everything still good?
With the BREW when you open PIE what happens? Does it go to some BREW homepage or to your personal homepage?
How does the sign-in work? Just like the data plan?
Damnit, im too much of a broke college kid to sign up and then find out there are ridiculous charges. Well, the more i talk about it the more i want it, so i may just have to nut-up and do it.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:02 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Ok, so i just made the leap into the unknown... (a.k.a. signed up for BREW)
Wish me luck!
Old 08-13-2007, 09:05 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

*Posting this from my 6700 and BREW!*

Holy crap this is cool!
Old 08-14-2007, 09:58 AM
Almost a VIP
Threadstarter

Congrats man... I think this is going to work out just fine... then again it's tough to say until the billing cycle is up and we can confirm that they're not charging us on a per KB rate but if so, like I said it's easy enough to argue since we're technically not supposed to be able to use this feature.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:58 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Titan

OffUrRcker is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to OffUrRcker
You're not using any kind of brew client are you, just PIE, right? Your carrier is just retarded and doesn't discriminate between phones?
Old 08-14-2007, 06:56 PM
Almost a VIP
Threadstarter

Just Opera/PIE

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache