PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2007, 12:25 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

saqer is keeping up the good worksaqer is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
AGPS -> Is it finally available?

I was talking to a CSR on totally other related issue when he brings up an option for me to upgrade my powervision package to include Navtech gps service amongst other things. It's still $15/mo like I'm paying now and he said I would only have to pay a one time fee for the navtech software and there are no other fees after that. Unfortunately I had to prorate so I won't actually be on that new plan until the 21st of this month. Anyone else do this?
Old 08-05-2007, 12:34 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

gbm85 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargbm85 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargbm85 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargbm85 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Navtech has been available for our devices for quite some time. Notice how the CSR said you were being charged for the software? That's because it is only software. You still need a Bluetooth GPS device in order to use it. The difference is that it uses online maps instead of maps on the storage card, so it is a lot smaller (but won't work in areas without service).
Old 08-08-2007, 04:05 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Fuze
Carrier: ATT

TechnoHippie is becoming a great contributor
yeah it's been out for a while - but it's a rip-off - do yourself a favor and do NOT buy it. No point in it since you still gotta buy a GPS reciever to use the stupid thing.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:11 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint PPC-6700
Carrier: SprintPCS

sniffs is a n00b
Gotta love how sprint cripples the agps unit.. I have an Blackberry 8800 with an agps unit in it and it's fully unlocked.. allowing me to use it to navigate using google maps or any other software that uses a gps.. i love it.

its because sprint wants more money.. guaranteed that when sprint gets their version of the Blackberry 8800.. the agps unit will be crippled.. no doubt.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:42 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint PCS

psiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuff
Navizon

Navizon seems to be the only software only solution that works on Cell Towers without a GPS or a fee to Sprint, but I find it only accurate to within about a mile.... (The WiFi location works MUCH better (if you are in a city/town) but eats too much battery power) Also the online Maps update way too slow... The only thing it really seems practical for is tracking your general location and posting to web...

I would go with Yahoo Go and its WiFi locator if you are in the City alot and have an extended battery, or else just get a Bluetooth GPS and good Mapping software...
Old 09-17-2007, 02:08 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Apache

jbrianj is a n00b
Send a message via MSN to jbrianj
Not Sure if this helps or not, but i was able to open up some additional GPS Settings under FieldTrial.exe.

By Changing HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/OEM/FieldTrial/DisablePage from 4 to 0

then Dialling ##33284#

This Display GPS as an option in the Drop Down list in Field Trial.

I was reading up on the efforts at:
http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/ppc-6...6700-a-10.html

and it Seems that they have been able to view GPS Data and then add Latt/Long to Google Maps to get a location. IMO we just need to be able to track down where this data is being stored.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d71/cac9478/GPS.jpg
Any Ideas?
HTC Titan
HTC Apache
Old 09-17-2007, 06:30 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

computercarl is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrianj View Post
Not Sure if this helps or not, but i was able to open up some additional GPS Settings under FieldTrial.exe.

By Changing HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/OEM/FieldTrial/DisablePage from 4 to 0

then Dialling ##33284#

This Display GPS as an option in the Drop Down list in Field Trial.

I was reading up on the efforts at:
http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/ppc-6...6700-a-10.html

and it Seems that they have been able to view GPS Data and then add Latt/Long to Google Maps to get a location. IMO we just need to be able to track down where this data is being stored.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d71/cac9478/GPS.jpg
Any Ideas?
I just tried all of that on my vzw 6700 w/ wm6, and no dice. Fieldtrial opens, but all of the gps tab says N/A. Bummer.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:48 PM
N00b

store2000 is a n00b
I know for a fact that AGPS is supported on the phone's radio. The XV6700 uses the Qualcomm MSM6500 as its radio chip. Googling for MSM6500 brings up this which is an overview of MSM6500.

As you can see, aGPS is a BIG feature on it.

AGPS page
AGPS datasheet

What needs to be investigated is how this is exposed to the "outside world" i.e. Windows Mobile applications. I believe the API into the MSM6500's GPS module is secret, so we'd need to reverse engineer that. However the fact that fieldtrail.exe and/or calling 922 is able to alter the MSM6500 state machine to generate GPS co-ordinates is a huge starting point.

Also, we should collect all interested developers to one place to concentrate efforts ...
Old 09-17-2007, 08:40 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

computercarl is a n00b
Well, I work at a 911 callcenter, and can test quite easily. Any help I can provide, just let me know.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:12 AM
N00b

store2000 is a n00b
I'm guessing there is an internal API exposed thru BREW (which is Qualcomm's "User mode, poor man's OS"). I think the Verizon RAZR's VZNavigator is a BREW application. BREW also has a PC emulator. If one can somehow "debug" VZNavigator on the BREW simulator, that may offer some more insight into the AGPS interface. Of course, I don't have ANY tools to create/debug stuff, so unfortunately I can only talk ...

Getting the A (=Assisted) of AGPS working might be tough since it requires a network component to cooperate (i.e. a local base station tells your unit "you are in 'this' state"). Without the assisted component the time to first lock is a few minutes instead of a few seconds. But hey - given the level of interest from devs/hackers I'd be glad if we even got to GPS, let aside AGPS.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache