PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2007, 09:59 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: ppc-6700
Carrier: Sprint

neweternity4321 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
cracked my screen... remote backup tools?

So I'm sitting at my desk. I turn around in my chair to get up, and turn my head just in time to watch my PPC-6700 (which was plugged in... little did i know that the cord was wrapped around the arm of my chair) fly into the base of my coworker's chair. It hit hard... the screen is useless. Does anyone know of any software to make a remote backup? It's been a few weeks since my last backup with spb backup. Or is there a way to run spb backup automatically from some sort of batch file that would run when I insert an SD card? I don't mind trying to get this thing replaced (I'm hoping they give me a 6800.. hehe), I just want to get my mail off of it. I can still connect it to my pc... if I just copy everything that's in the device's folder structure, would I be able to restore from that later? My contacts are synced with outlook and so is my calendar, but I want to save my text messages. Any help would be great, I'm going to at the very least copy all my data to my pc before whining to Sprint.

Wish me luck!
*Crosses fingers for 6800*
Old 07-28-2007, 11:23 AM
The Source of Power
Pocket PC: EVO4G & EPIC4g

Trident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via Skype™ to Trident
You need to install some sort of remote viewing software. Ideally, one that doesn't require you to see the screen when it is installing.
I use Soti's Pocket Controller Pro. A powerful program that lets you see and interact with your PPC with an ActiveSync connection. I know there are cheaper/free ones out there, but this one is worth the extra cash when you need it.
I used it when I had a small crack in the upper right corner- right where the close/OK button was- to backup my device before I reinstalled my OEM ROM and exchanged the unit.

Good luck.

Old 07-28-2007, 12:23 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: ppc-6700
Threadstarter

neweternity4321 is a n00b
I apparently can't post links here yet, but do a google search for "Microsoft Remote Display Control / WM5 and VGA" and look for SolSie. You should find a post with instructions on how to setup a free utility (from microsoft) to view your screen, the problem is that it needs to be set up on both the ppc and the desktop pc. I cant do that. It looks like I'm just going to have to take it to sprint... the problem is that the screen is completely dead... it displays nothing of any real worth, just a pretty spiderwebbed crack in the middle on the far right, with three cracks that fan out to touch the other side of the screen... I really hope that I get a replacement. I think I might try to get the 6800 at a discount if they offer the 6700 as my replacement. There is no point in getting a new device that won't be supported in 6 months if I can find a way out of it. Thanks for your help though. Oh well... wish me luck!
Old 07-28-2007, 12:35 PM
The Source of Power
Pocket PC: EVO4G & EPIC4g

Trident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via Skype™ to Trident
The nice thing about the one that I mentioned is that it sets up on your PC. The only thing you need to do is press a hard-key to let it know that you want it to install in main memory or storage card and it installs.

I think they have a trial for free... yep. Check it out at:
http://www.soti.net/default.asp?Cmd=...s&SubCmd=PCPro
You just have to give them a little info about yourself.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:52 PM
VIP & Master of my Domain
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4g

stroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIP
I 2nd SOTI...excellent app. Been using it for a while on different WM devices.

Old 07-28-2007, 04:39 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Apache 6700
Carrier: Verizon

craigerk is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to craigerk
I use My Mobiler, freeware and works great. Just download it and isntall from your compw hen conected. Then hit the left soft key for ok to install to deivce. Soft Reset and ythen open it from your comp.

http://www.mtux.com/

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache