PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2007, 07:28 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

saqer is keeping up the good worksaqer is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Maximizing Battery Life?

I was wondering if anyone knows what could be causing the battery to drain quicker than usual. Listed below are some obvious reasons to help newbie's out wondering the same thing, but I was hoping further discussion can identify certain apps, registry features, etc, etc that drain the battery quicker. I'm running the latest 3.5 kitchen and have a 2600 mAH polymer battery.

1. Higher backlight setting
2. Active data connection
3. Bluetooth on and paired with bluetooth device
4. Many programs running in background
5. Certain apps (will update)
a. skype

I was wondering, does the inclusion of more OEM packages into the kitchen entail higher rate of battery drain?

I use skype from time to the other and if you keep it connected the phone may not enter standby mode. So for any skype users...look out for that
Old 07-17-2007, 07:38 PM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
skype is a killer for sure.

If you did the latest update, check for a PhoneEx.log file (might be large by now!) in the root directory (\) - if you have that, then you've got the PhoneEx dll issue some of us have... search the board or let me know and I'll track down the post on it, disabling that service (and then removing that dll from my rom build) returned my batter performance to normal, at the cost of time sync not working anymore.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:50 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

yes i do have that log file and it's nearing a 1mb now! I'll regularly update my first post with potential battery hogs.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:37 PM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
PhoneExt_Service.log info (such as it is)

first, no harm comes from deleting the log file.

http://ppcgeeks.com/helmi-official-a...120.html#64603
http://ppcgeeks.com/helmi-official-a...120.html#64629

If you search for "PhoneExt_Service.dll" in your reg, and change the string (I put XX around it) and then soft reset, it will kill the service for you until you get around to building a rom without that dll...

But you will probably lose time sync

http://ppcgeeks.com/helmi-official-a...150.html#64790
Old 07-18-2007, 12:52 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Omnia i910
Carrier: Verizon

phoenx06 is keeping up the good workphoenx06 is keeping up the good work
Here is a better solution for the PhoneExt_Service problem
http://www.ppcgeeks.com/helmi-offici...,start,30.html
Make sure you give props to all those who keep this site running, as well as those who provide all those ever-so-useful ROMs and applications. If someone helps you out, or answers a question of yours, be sure to click the "Thanks" button.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:03 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Does anyone have experience with weatherpanel being a battery hog? I don't know if it's it, but ever since I've included in the kitchen the my 2600 mah seems to love the reaching the empty bar quicker.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:26 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: XV6800 Titan (on Sprint) / PPC6700 (Sprint) Apache / Sprint Touch

tiermann is still contributing even after becoming a VIPtiermann is still contributing even after becoming a VIPtiermann is still contributing even after becoming a VIPtiermann is still contributing even after becoming a VIPtiermann is still contributing even after becoming a VIPtiermann is still contributing even after becoming a VIPtiermann is still contributing even after becoming a VIPtiermann is still contributing even after becoming a VIPtiermann is still contributing even after becoming a VIPtiermann is still contributing even after becoming a VIPtiermann is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to tiermann Send a message via Yahoo to tiermann
I've only used it once... But maybe if it has animated icons and it's updating the info frequently (shorter than 10-15 mins) it could drain you a bit.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:04 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Palm Pre

Shaska is just getting started
Ive found that the more current versions of XCPUScalar work Great compared to the older ones...

I *Had* my phone set to use 208mhz from 0-30% CPU and from 31-60% the default 416mhz, and anything over that (rarely happens) it would crank it up to 520mhz...

After a day of having an online 1x connection going active every 30 min (weatherpannel) I still had 80% battery...

So the biggest Battery hog In my opinion, Is a CPU that sits at 400+ mhz all day long with no reason to be there... Ive found that the 6700 rarely needs to go over 60% CPU for ordinary tasks, and runs remarkably well at 208mhz...
Old 07-22-2007, 10:16 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

interesting observation....i'll have to try that and report back later...But my initial impression would be it would drain battery more of you constantly use your phone. Just because it has to keep down/upscale.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:57 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Palm Pre

Shaska is just getting started
Quote:
Originally Posted by saqer
interesting observation....i'll have to try that and report back later...But my initial impression would be it would drain battery more of you constantly use your phone. Just because it has to keep down/upscale.
Well that sure was an issue, And I can say that you do have to tweak the autoscale settings to your own desire/needs...

My friend with a XV6800 had all 4 of the scale bars at different speeds, and indeed it ate his battery for breakfast and was starving by lunch...

With mine I kinda forced my PPC to stay under 416mhz with the fact it rarely needs to use over 60% CPU, But then again Im sure if I played worms world party for a few hours, It would have drained it pretty quick being at 520mhz

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache