PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2007, 09:33 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: RAPH800 Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

namopereht is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
vmware and kitchens.

Hi all. Been reading posts and successfully using some pre-built rom's for a few months now, but this is my first post. Finally settled on Kirvin's sprint nojunk and been loving it. Decided to try my hand at cooking my own and seeing how it went. I run vmware with winxp under SUSE 10.1 and have had no problems burning the roms to the apache. Tried this with exactly the same results with both BigJ's 6-12 reloaded, and the APAC 3.5r4 kitchens. I am not running ANY custom oem's and not touching a thing except what is in the how-to. Basically clicking what I want and unclicking what I don't want (paying attention to possible confilcts with like apps/modules). Build goes fine, convert goes fine and burns to apache without a hick-up. Then after the hard reset, goes to a snowy screen with the hardware revision info in red at the bottom. No matter what I select in the build, same thing happens. Have tried it with almost nothing in the builds even. Total of 7 times between the both. Is there something in vmware that is causing the rom to not compile properly? I have been running vmware for over a year with the only problem being my lifedrive causing a sync crash during sync. (problem is I need to recompile without visor support but don't actually use the LD, so no bid deal). Is there anyone else having similar problems? I am unsure if this is a vmware problem, or something else. If it matters, I am using an external USB drive for all the build files and the rom when it is burnt to the apache. Gonna try the prebuilt BigJ reloaded when I finish this post, and will see if that goes well. I appreciate all you do here and for us users, and hope to get past this issue si I might be able to contribute a touch to this project.

namopereht
Old 06-16-2007, 11:27 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Well, the SPRINT_BigJ_1.1r works great. Guess there is either a problem with the vmware winxp or I have a posessed phone. If anyone has any experience using vmware and building from kitchens, or if anyone wants to try it on their linux box to see if I am just a complete dolt, I would appreciate a confirmation of this. I only have my notebook here to do this on (live on the road) and may have to scrounge up another drive to install xp on so I can rule vmware in or out. If anyone is around Reno right now and wants to part with a non sata 2.5" drive for cheap lemme know!

namopereht
Old 06-18-2007, 09:08 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

collindv is just getting started
I had the same problem the first several times I tried to compile my own kitchen on Windows 2000. All I did was unrar the kitchen to another folder and rubuilt and it worked fine. I suspect something got corrupted the first time I unrared the files. Give that a shot, and even try re-downloading the kitchen before you go through more drastic measures I would say.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:45 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Well, I accidentally went to drastic measures anyhow :P Tried updating vmware and forgot I had some statically linked libraries. Installed the new vmware and suse automagically removed about 500meg of data while "upgrading" my system! *DOH!* That will teach me to not watch the update console! Anyhow, re-installed and used vmware under ubuntu 7.04 instead with same results. But, I dual booted and tried the same downloaded files with winxp and success! Until now vmware had never let me down. Guess I will have to keep that windoze partition to screw with my phone. On a side note, anyone had any luck using multisync in linux? Would love to not need XP to just keep my contacts and mail in check. If this rom doesn't give me any problems I will probably keep it, and would love to turn that XP partition into some more /home on this poor little laptop!

namopereht
Old 06-20-2007, 04:11 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

JBabey is just getting started
Send a message via ICQ to JBabey Send a message via AIM to JBabey Send a message via MSN to JBabey Send a message via Yahoo to JBabey Send a message via Skype™ to JBabey
the buildos file relies VERY heavily on .NET framework, im not sure how stable that framework is when running on vmware because there are system services that go along with the install. Either way i would "guess" that your problem lies there. You could potentially hack up a nasty lookin kitchen in the format that createos used to use from the old kitchens, ive thought of it myself because there are some things about buildos that i dont like, but not enough for me to spend a multitude of hours rebuilding the kitchen haha. Anyways, glad you got it working off the xp partition.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:50 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond

nmeister is a n00b
I have been able to run the kitchen and flash a rom via a VM.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:32 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Ok, what version and build of vmware are you using? If you could give me a bit more info like kernel version, which distro, what kitchen, etc it might help me nail down this problem. As much as I like wm5 on this 6700, I don't care much for xp or (OMG I NEED NEW HARDWARE!) vista. Being able to do this on vmware may also help the guys having issues with kitchens on vista if that is still an issue. Thanks for the responses.

namopereht
Old 06-20-2007, 02:19 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond

nmeister is a n00b
I am running xubuntu feisty with windows xp (sp2) in a vm. I am using vm 6.0.0 build-45731.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:23 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Sorry about the long pause before repost, been trying a few things here. After many attempts with vmware on my ubuntu side I have come to the conclusion it must be hardware related on my notebook. Tried it with exactly the same options on both vmware with xp and on xp native and the vmware has never worked. Was thinking it was an issue with something getting mixed up between the virtual usb on the vmware communicating with the hardware usb on the notebook. Built a rom on the vmware and rebooted to native xp, then tried to flash the rom. Same results as on vmware xp. I am at a loss as to what other piece of hardware it would be, but am just going to resign to the fact I need to keep this darn xp on my system. I do have to say that I love the BigJ kitchen, and only wish I would have found this site sooner! Thanks again for all the great work from everyone here, and I will keep trying to kick vmware around to find the issue.

namopereht

edit: my darn "s" key keeps sticking lol!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache