PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2007, 09:13 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio
Carrier: VZW

johnny2678 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to johnny2678
Preserving option.xml files between releases...

So R4 is most likely on its way (thanks colonel). With each release comes new features/fixes that I can't resist so I have to upgrade.

One of the biggest pains every go-round is editing every option.xml to get the default values that I like for BuildOS.exe. Has anyone figured a good way to do this?
Old 06-13-2007, 09:20 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Apache (PPC6700); Titan (Mogul)
Carrier: Sprint

luv2chill is keeping up the good workluv2chill is keeping up the good work
Send a message via ICQ to luv2chill Send a message via AIM to luv2chill Send a message via MSN to luv2chill Send a message via Yahoo to luv2chill Send a message via Skype™ to luv2chill
Just an idea... maybe instead of/in addition to releasing a full kitchen every time a "delta" is released, which is just the changed files/folders. There are several apps out there that can do that, and that makes for a more efficient download for people who already downloaded the kitchen once.

That way you could modify the option.xml files for the OEMs you want to be selected/deselected, and all or most of those would be preserved when you applied the latest kitchen changes (since most OEMs are the same from release-to-release).

Probably not the solution you were looking for, but I think without the source code to the buildrom application, there's not much we can do to change the way it functions.

Also, here's my super secret method--I set all of the option.xmls to be enabled by default, and I just move out the OEMs I never use outside of the OEM directory. That gives me my core list--as I find another OEM I want to add/mess around with I just add it to the OEM folder. Again, it sort of defeats the process of the checkboxes but it's quicker for a non-n00b like me.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:42 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio
Carrier: VZW
Threadstarter

johnny2678 is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to johnny2678
that works for me... i don't know why i spend the time to edit them with every new release when there are certain OEMS i know i will never use.

thx for the feed back luv2chill!
Old 06-13-2007, 09:44 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: xv6875 - Touch Pro2
Carrier: Verizon

biglcny is becoming a great contributor
This is probably a noob question but do you have to rebuild the DSM file if you modify or replace the Option.xml or .rgu file? I would image the Option.xml file is ignored other than the info inside it when you run BuildOS.exe.

I would be somewhat easy to write a small vb app to restore the xml and possibly .rgu files
Old 06-13-2007, 09:49 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Apache (PPC6700); Titan (Mogul)
Carrier: Sprint

luv2chill is keeping up the good workluv2chill is keeping up the good work
Send a message via ICQ to luv2chill Send a message via AIM to luv2chill Send a message via MSN to luv2chill Send a message via Yahoo to luv2chill Send a message via Skype™ to luv2chill
The important thing for DSMs is just file names, so as long as you're only changing the contents of existing files (like the .rgu) without changing the names of the files then you do not need to rebuild the DSMs.

Option.xml files are definitely not processed into the DSMs so it doesn't matter what you do there.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache