PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache
Register Community Search

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you currenly have a GPS system?
Yes, my PPC and an additional device 5 25.00%
Yes, I have a stand alone GPS device 2 10.00%
Yes, my car has GPS built in 2 10.00%
More than one of the above 3 15.00%
No, but I am thinking about it 8 40.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2006, 01:01 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: Sprint

NetApex is keeping up the good workNetApex is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to NetApex
The GPS question

Ok after some research and some questioning, I went and purchased (off of eBay non-the-less) a bluetooth GPS for my phone. (At the time I had the PPC-6600) I was able to get the device for around $80 and since I had the phone anyway, I am not going to include that into the price. After all, I didnt get the phone so I could have GPS right? The software I "aquired" from a long distance annoymous associate. So we will just say that to get GPS it cost me $80. Of course the most asked question isnt "how much does it cost" (although that is always a factor) the question usually is "which one and why?" Well I will give you my reasons and results to those questions.

I chose to go with the i-Blue ( http://www.iternet.com.tw/b-gps/ps3200-f.htm ) because it is small (think zippo lighter size...kinda bulky for a keychain but entirely possible. It usually aquires a signal in under a minute, start GPS software, buckle up, adjust seats, insert favorite CD and it should have your current location on the screen ready to go. There were other GPS terms that people threw around a lot "NMEA, GGA, GSA, GSV, (and, the, or, yes, no)" and it met what I read as a standard set of requirements in all of those areas. Basically it was "as good as any other one" but the part that stood out to me was the auto power feature which gives it more that 360 hours of standby time, or 30 hours of nonstop "You are here" info. It allows you to turn it on and just forget about it until you need it. Once you start you GPS program it will awake from its sleep mode and start looking for a signal.

It was a snap to use with my 6600 but connecting was a little less intuitive using the 67 (after pairing, I created an outgoing port and connected it to the i-Blue, used the regedit to show the GPS panel and set the hardware to COM 6 and software to none *had it on 4 previously, but after a hard reset I left it at none and it works fine* and then had the GPS software, iGuidance, look to COM 6)...piece of cake. After all that though, you just need to start your software and it takes care of itself. When it comes to mapping software, that is a strictly personal choice issue I believe. I prefer iGuidance, although I like TomTom as a close second. Others feel the other way around, or even like Mapopolis better. But most all agree the MS Streets and Trips is to be overlooked to to lack of voice prompts...but if you are buying software, $30 for MS software may be worth the silence.

So if you have a GPS and like it, dislike it, or have questions, pipe in and lets see what others have to say.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:40 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Diamond

ajk511 is keeping up the good workajk511 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to ajk511 Send a message via MSN to ajk511
i just ordered the GlobalSat BT-338 with iguidence last night. its sposed to be here right now ( $25 overnight express shipping my butt) but semsons being wierd and hasnt even sent me the tracking number yet. ill let you know when it gets here. all the post i read about it on pdaphonehome.com seemed promising so im excited
Old 08-16-2006, 05:44 PM
Founder & Owner
Pocket PC: iPhone XS Max

Wideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWideawake should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to Wideawake
I have been debating if I need one, haven't made up my mind tho...
~mike

Old 08-17-2006, 09:09 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch pro

wingzero is a n00b
I don't have one yet but been thinking real hard do I need one or not.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:24 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Ok for those debating on if you really need one or not, very few people actually "need" one. Unless you drive truck or something then chances are high that GPS will never land on your need list. But look at it on the "would I be better off with it", or "can I afford a toy that will make life a bit more fun". Case in point. I usually turn it on when I go places and mark spots as favorites when I get there. That way I have a list of places I normally go... not needed, but kinda cool. One day my fiance (wife in 3 days!!) and I went to a friends wedding in BFE. Tossed the address in the phone, and let the GPS guide the way. Even auto rerouted when I had to leave the highway due to construction. We are going to the Smokey Mountains for our honeymoon...again, not needed, but the GPS is a huge peace of mind device. Plus it has Points-Of-Interest (POI) that will make great stopping places just to check out if we so choose. Would I pay $80 for directions to a wedding, or to be told how to get to Tennessee? Heck no, mapquest or google maps are free. But the pure fun of knowing that you cant get lost EVER... yeah $80 is very worth it. Who knows, you may even learn a few shortcuts to places you go all of the time. Also, most software comes with either traffic reports, weather reports or both.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:48 AM
Halfway to VIP Status

wingzero is a n00b
Well, there's no question that you would definitely be better off with it than without. No doubt that this is a cool gadget and the ppc's best companion. If I get it, I'll have to do some explaning to the wife..lol.
Hey, congradulation on your BIG DAY.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:17 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Diamond

ajk511 is keeping up the good workajk511 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to ajk511 Send a message via MSN to ajk511
NO DONT DO IT!!!!!!! SHE'S GONNA STEAL YOUR SOUL!!!
lol jk. congrats on the big day man!!
Old 08-17-2006, 12:49 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

She already stole my heart, and I sold my soul to get her to say yes! Thanks all, but anyway...go buy a GPS!
Old 08-17-2006, 01:38 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

wingzero is a n00b
Man, you would be an excellent sale rep.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:42 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Lol, well at least I would finally have one good quality. Maybe I should look into reselling them, I may be able to work out a discount for people then.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache