PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2007, 02:46 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Epic 3G / TP2
Carrier: Sprint / Google Voice
Threadstarter

saridnour is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
AstainHellbring: I'll have to take a look at that. I sync to exchange push mail so my connection is always open. Let me shut that down later today and see what I see.

-saridnour
Old 02-05-2007, 05:40 PM
Elite Team Member
Pocket PC: 6700, 6800, 6900, 6850, Q, i730, Athena tp2 ++++
Carrier: Sprint and ATT

AstainHellbring is a VIPAstainHellbring is a VIPAstainHellbring is a VIPAstainHellbring is a VIPAstainHellbring is a VIPAstainHellbring is a VIPAstainHellbring is a VIPAstainHellbring is a VIPAstainHellbring is a VIPAstainHellbring is a VIPAstainHellbring is a VIP
So far I am having issues with text messages, when I try to pull them up in the messaging app, I am not able to see it the screen flashes but then it stays at the inbox screen
Old 02-05-2007, 06:12 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

saridnour is a n00b
AstainHellbring: This falls under the same cat. as the inbox. This was intended to be used with Flexmail which handels the SMS and Mail aspect. The pOutlook was left as there are still bugs in flexmail in regaurd to alerting.
Also flexmail was not packaged in this release as it is still in Beta (but functional) but I did not want to embed a beta in the rom. when release, I will embedded it and remove more of pOutlook.

Get flecmail r2 and that will fix your issues.

-Saridnour
Old 02-05-2007, 06:30 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: PPC6700
Carrier: Cricket

jschurawlow is a n00b
Send a message via MSN to jschurawlow
saridnour,

Are you able to post one without the trial software as well (eg no trial apps and obviously not your registered versions).

As for example I do already have spb backup and other applications so it'd more or less just be a waste of space to have redundant programs/files in the base ROM.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:37 PM
Elite Team Member
Pocket PC: 6700, 6800, 6900, 6850, Q, i730, Athena tp2 ++++
Carrier: Sprint and ATT

AstainHellbring is a VIPAstainHellbring is a VIPAstainHellbring is a VIPAstainHellbring is a VIPAstainHellbring is a VIPAstainHellbring is a VIPAstainHellbring is a VIPAstainHellbring is a VIPAstainHellbring is a VIPAstainHellbring is a VIPAstainHellbring is a VIP
Sweet thanks for the info about flexmail installed it and now texts are working
Old 02-05-2007, 07:29 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

saridnour is a n00b
jschurawlow: actually it is not a waste of space.
Let me explain, at one point it was my goal to make a slim Rom with the bare minimal. I then found out this was pointless as the Rom takes up the same amount of space regaurdless of what you cut. For instance, If I made a slim rom and you installed spb backup, the same amount of space would be taken if you installed it on this build as the install is using storage space (where the rom is, well the rom space).
My rom nests all files in the windows directory so nothing is copied to storage. So what does this maen for you, well there are two options you can run with:

1- You could extract my rom, copy in your bits and then repack it and be good.
2- you could just copy your registered backup.exe into the windows dir (thus only taking up the exe's size in storage space)(also note copying a file over a rom file will mask whats there. You can del your copy but not the original, but when called, the copied file is used in it's place) and use the embedded suporting files that are already in place, and have a it running as a full version. Same can be done with xcpuscalar.

Now as to the other trial ware. Just turn them off or remove them from startup. You can then replace them with any utilities you want. Again this will use as much space as if you did it on a bare bones rom (the rom is a fixed size). The only way to save space is to embed your apps into a rom like I did and why you don't see a bare bonse rom out there.

-saridnour
Old 02-05-2007, 08:40 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

slypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by saridnour
jschurawlow: actually it is not a waste of space.
Let me explain, at one point it was my goal to make a slim Rom with the bare minimal. I then found out this was pointless as the Rom takes up the same amount of space regaurdless of what you cut. For instance, If I made a slim rom and you installed spb backup, the same amount of space would be taken if you installed it on this build as the install is using storage space (where the rom is, well the rom space).
My rom nests all files in the windows directory so nothing is copied to storage. So what does this maen for you, well there are two options you can run with:

1- You could extract my rom, copy in your bits and then repack it and be good.
2- you could just copy your registered backup.exe into the windows dir (thus only taking up the exe's size in storage space) and use the embedded suporting files that are already in place, and have a it running as a full version. Same can be done with xcpuscalar.

Now as to the other trial ware. Just turn them off or remove them from startup. You can then replace them with any utilities you want. Again this will use as much space as if you did it on a bare bones rom (the rom is a fixed size). The only way to save space is to embed your apps into a rom like I did and why you don't see a bare bonse rom out there.

-saridnour
I like your thinking and appreciate all of your work on this ROM.

One question though, why doesn't poutlook work? Also does flexmail allow for direct push? This is kinda crucial for my job so i can't afford to be without it now. As long as the mail replacement works....i'll install the ROM cause everything else sounds good.

-s

Funniest thread ever!!

Don't just SAY "Thanks" PRESS ... Try it, it only takes a second!
Old 02-05-2007, 09:51 PM
Regular 'Geeker

sfaure03 is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by saridnour
jschurawlow:

-saridnour
True, as we stand now because of some apparent problems with the rom-kitchen. However there are people working on the rom-kitchen, and once we are stable there, "average" user customization of their own rom is the goal. Indeed, it is my hope that most of those currently doing custom roms are keeping careful control and will be able to reproduce their addon's as kitchen options. A lot of good work tweaking the roms has gone on, but each of us has their own list of "gotta haves". The ROM is a perfect place to actualy plug in all you're own customizations.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:30 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

saridnour is a n00b
slypher: I brole pOutlook a whie back and didn't know it. It was when I was removing the msn/IM stuff. I did not know it was broken as I was using flexmail. I have not look at the issue as it is not a problem for me.
Pushmail works just fine in flexmail as it uses the core mail bits that are intact in the build. I use push with flexmail and as long as you don't set it as the default mail app, you can allow pOutlook to alert you of new mail (broken in flex at the moment) and use flex as your mail app.

sfaure03: making a rom "the other way" is easy as long as you don't dig into the registry. You extract the image (almost unzip shall we say) to a dump directory. From there you literaly copy the bits you want in then recompress it. There is one other step of converting the original flashable file but it is really simple. If all you want to do is get your bits in to replace whats there it coud take all of 15 min to do. I know the kitchen is where everyones at, but cook'n on the grill can be better some times

-saridnour
Old 02-07-2007, 04:03 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: PPC6700
Carrier: Cricket

jschurawlow is a n00b
Send a message via MSN to jschurawlow
saridnour,

Does your install register the uninstallers in the program listing? To make it easy to just uninstall the apps not wanted, or would one be needing to go through manually deleting them out? Sorry, should of been more direct in the phrasing of the question.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache