PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2008, 06:13 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC PPC6700

echothreezero is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
WM6 ROM with Transcriber

Total n00b here so please be nice!

Have flashed my Apache to the WM6 ROM from Helmi_c for New Zealand telecom and its missing transcriber which I want to use.

I'm yet to get my head around the kitchen process (I've only had the device 3 hours), and until I do I would love a good WM6 ROM that will work on NZ Telecom and have transcriber.

Does such a beast exist?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:34 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

echothreezero is a n00b
Re: WM6 ROM with Transcriber

OK, PPC n00b of 4.5 hours now. Have cooked my first ROM.

All working now I think.

Thanks

Last edited by echothreezero; 03-18-2008 at 09:12 PM.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:55 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Vogue
Carrier: Telecom NZ

blakamin is a n00b

Now go for 6.1

If ya get stuck at anytime, just pm me... I've been cooking roms almost weekly since I got my phone
Old 03-23-2008, 10:01 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2 (T7381 with 3G 850/2100)
Carrier: Telecom New Zealand

Damager is becoming a great contributor

im from nz as well, using helmi's precooked wm6 rom for telecom nz. im using the one that's already built into the rom, the one that converts as your own handwriting into text for your text messages? is that the same thing?

edit: my mate just had a bit of a play with my phone and he says theres no transcriber. I assumed because there's a letter and block recognizer that was the transcriber? so what exactly is the transcriber? been loving the theme customisations and things you can do to this phone. good to see other kiwis on here!

Last edited by Damager; 03-23-2008 at 10:10 PM.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:27 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

echothreezero is a n00b

transcriber allows you to write in your own handwriting anywhere on the screen and converts to text for most applications. (like letter recogniser but accepts entire words with punctuation.)

Take a few mins to learn how to use the kitchen and build your own ROM. Its easy enough. Basically just download and install the kitchen and the extra zip file for the carrier info, and just fire it up and learn as you go.

Trying to find easy to understand tutorials was a mission, but getting stuck in and trying it was easy.

Thanks for the offer blakamin. You may here from me yet.

PS. I love the fact I can surf the web over my home wireless network on my Apache - saves me getting off my arse and diggin out my laptop just to check my webmail or tides or weather or whatever. The question is though - how do I know whether it is accessing the web via wireless or EVDO? I just turn the phone function off to be sure so I don't get a surprise data bill, but will it automatically use wireless when it can and EVDO when it can't?
Old 03-25-2008, 04:29 AM
N00b

blakamin is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by echothreezero View Post
Thanks for the offer blakamin. You may here from me yet.
Anytime!

Quote:
PS. I love the fact I can surf the web over my home wireless network on my Apache - saves me getting off my arse and diggin out my laptop just to check my webmail or tides or weather or whatever. The question is though - how do I know whether it is accessing the web via wireless or EVDO? I just turn the phone function off to be sure so I don't get a surprise data bill, but will it automatically use wireless when it can and EVDO when it can't?
You'll notice your "Ev" box will disappear from the top bar and you'll get an "antenna" looking thing with radiating circles and some arrows when using WiFi.
I've actually disabled my telecom data connection and the stupid password popup that used to show when it tried connecting via telecom. (somehow I also managed to get my phone on to prepaid which is supposed to be impossible)
Old 03-27-2008, 12:30 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

echothreezero is a n00b

How did you get on prepaid? I tried to convince the cust service operator that the phone should be on prepaid but they couldn't do it. So I had to sign up for a 12 month term on Flexi.

OK, so I'm running WM6.1 now and have a couple of queries.

The new kitchen didn't include HTC X-button so I installed manually. The old version on WM6 had a memory status indicator from the title bar menu. The downloaded version only has the settings item.

Also, I foolishly included the HTC large title bar items which I don't like. How do I get rid of them?

Finally, my battery icon doesn't open the power control panel anymore - I use this alot.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:08 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

echothreezero is a n00b

OK figured out the large title bar thing and the power button thing.

Delete the registry key: \HLKM\Services\LargeTitleBar

Soft reset and large title bar is gone and power icon works correctly.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:28 AM
N00b

blakamin is a n00b

Quote:
How did you get on prepaid? I tried to convince the cust service operator that the phone should be on prepaid but they couldn't do it. So I had to sign up for a 12 month term on Flexi.
I transferred my existing number from my sanyo. dialed 0800323232 and quoted the esn. broke my first apache (SD slot stopped working) last week and got another one and transfered again... thats when they told me I couldn't.
I said "yes I can, i've been on prepaid 3 months with my old one!!! just look at the ESN"
so they did =D>
Old 03-27-2008, 04:07 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

echothreezero is a n00b

Bugger - I tried to transfer the number from my Nokia but they wouldn't let me. oh well, having this toy is worth the account payments.

Figured out HTC X button - I needed v2.0, but I installed it and it was buggy as and freezed the Apache 3 or 4 times, so I'm back to 1.51 which actually works.

I don't like the threaded sms inbox in 6.1 - very hard to delete old messages as you have to delete the whole conversation from that peron unless you want to spend hours scrolling and deleting within thee thread so I have turned it off. (registry hack)

They show up threaded with ph calls in PocketCM anyway. Not sure I like PocketCM though - its a little hard to get used to and doesn't show birthday or anniversary info unless you drill down into the underlying contact manager.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache