PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2008, 03:19 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: PPC6700
Carrier: Verizon

Slaithen is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
PPC6700 on Vzw working but roaming...

Over the last couple of days I have managed to convert a Sprint PPC6700 over to use the Verizon network. I'm loving it so far, even though it took me a while to get it to properly install a new ROM.

The quick history is this:

I installed Saridnour Custom 3.5+ pr5 ROM which did the base ROM as well as the OS ROM and I skipped th setup of the ext ROM. I found out too late that this was a sprint ROM. I manually got all the NAM programming working an then called vzw csr for activations to help me finish up some of the details like the sid/nid settings.

This morning I installed Apache_VZW_WM6_CE_5.2.1908_B8 which I believe I got off of this site.

Everything is great now, except one minor little thing. I am ALWAYS in "digital roaming".

When I checked my PST Modem Settings with ##778 in the "Modem Settings" category, the Preferred Serving System is only letting me choose:

Sprint Only
Automatic
Roaming Only

I think I need to reflash the base ROM. But I'm not sure. And can I only flash that part without flashing the OS? Or am I missing something crucial here?

Thanks
Old 02-29-2008, 02:00 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Titan

OffUrRcker is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to OffUrRcker
Re: PPC6700 on Vzw working but roaming...

How did you convince VZW to accept your ESN?
Old 02-29-2008, 08:57 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Slaithen is a n00b

It was easy. First, sound like you know what you are doing. I told the nice woman immediately that I needed an esn change. She asked me what the esn was, I told her, and she said, "Ok, this is an Audiovox 6700?" I said, "Yep." She added it into the system, and viola!

That was the easy part. I just didn't tell her it was a ppc6700.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:43 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Titan

OffUrRcker is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to OffUrRcker

wow... you're sure it's the sprint ppc6700? Because I thought the system would reject a sprint esn. That's pretty tight.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:23 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Slaithen is a n00b

No, the system will only reject ESNs under a certain number 05401....... Or something like that. I don't know the actual number, but my ESN is a high enough number it falls within Verizon's acceptable range.

My luck.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:12 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

frenchie is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaithen View Post
Over the last couple of days I have managed to convert a Sprint PPC6700 over to use the Verizon network. I'm loving it so far, even though it took me a while to get it to properly install a new ROM.

The quick history is this:

I installed Saridnour Custom 3.5+ pr5 ROM which did the base ROM as well as the OS ROM and I skipped th setup of the ext ROM. I found out too late that this was a sprint ROM. I manually got all the NAM programming working an then called vzw csr for activations to help me finish up some of the details like the sid/nid settings.

This morning I installed Apache_VZW_WM6_CE_5.2.1908_B8 which I believe I got off of this site.

Everything is great now, except one minor little thing. I am ALWAYS in "digital roaming".

When I checked my PST Modem Settings with ##778 in the "Modem Settings" category, the Preferred Serving System is only letting me choose:

Sprint Only
Automatic
Roaming Only

I think I need to reflash the base ROM. But I'm not sure. And can I only flash that part without flashing the OS? Or am I missing something crucial here?

Thanks
I know this may sound dumb, but have you tried flashing the OEM 3.3 vzw rom and then upgrading to your custom rom? This might fix your problem. The ROM will also force a radio upgrade which may fix your nam problems as well.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:59 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Slaithen is a n00b

Thanks Frenchie. I have been unable to flash the VZW rom because it gives me a Country ID error. However, after speaking with some friends they gave me some advice on how to use the rom without their custom install program. I think I will try that.

An interesting note however. I went to http://www.corolada.com/prl/ and downloaded the latest "America's Choice" EVDO prl and it seemed to have fixed the roaming problem. It now shows that I am in the preferred system.

I think I will still update the radio rom, because I don't think I have an appropriate one right now.

For now, I would say my problem is solved.

Thanks guys for your help.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:51 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Titan
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

shortbushemi is a n00b

also try dialing *228 and option #2 it will update the phone programming OTA
Old 03-03-2008, 02:20 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Slaithen is a n00b

for some reason *228 doesn't work on my phone. The programming and the prl update fail every time.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:49 AM
BlackBerry Hater
Pocket PC: All Cdma HTC's
Carrier: $0 VZW Emp Demo

Getitnowmarketing should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGetitnowmarketing should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGetitnowmarketing should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGetitnowmarketing should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGetitnowmarketing should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGetitnowmarketing should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGetitnowmarketing should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGetitnowmarketing should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGetitnowmarketing should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGetitnowmarketing should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGetitnowmarketing should be added to the payroll for their contributions

I've converted several from sprint to vzw. Use the helmi wm6 rom pick verizon in all the carriers and you will have to use No Id bootloader to load the rom. However dependant on your bootloader version if its not 1.00 or 1.02 you may have to make the rom with the correct bootloader version then put it in the no id ruu to get around country id error. This is my thread at how to get data working http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=20090. Every one I have converted after writing a vzw prl to it will do a *228. The only hard part of this whole conversion is getting the esn added to the database if it isn't already.

Last edited by Getitnowmarketing; 03-04-2008 at 02:35 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache