PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2007, 02:16 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: HTC Harrier, HTC Apache, HTC Titan, HTC Vogue....
Carrier: Sprint

colonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hang tight. When I get home I will post a screen shot showing exactly how stuff should look. Remember, you can't have word wrap on. I had to open Notepad with nothing in it, turn off word wrap, then "Open" the reg text. Add the REGEDIT4 and save as Unicode first. It should basically look like this:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\......]
@="string value"

[HKEY_LOCAL....................]
"DLL"="whatever.dll"

Remember to pay attention to spacing and syntax. When you run the txt-to-hv utility, if it shows an error, it will list the key where the error is. I always save my default.txt and user.txt in two places since those utilities take the one you have in the HV Tools folder. So, if I have an error when converting to .hv, I erase the .hv and boot file that were created. I can then go back to my saved txt file and correct the issue, save in the HV tools folder and somewhere else and then attempt to convert back to .hv again.
Old 01-27-2007, 04:59 PM
Retired Staff

colonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuff
Okay, here is the .NET CF2.0 "module". This one is pretty simple. Using the process in this thread, just paste the files into the dump folder and add the registry entries to either .hv file.
Attached Files
File Type: zip netcfsp1_856.zip (2.11 MB, 51 views) Click for barcode!
Old 01-28-2007, 02:41 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Mogul 6800

sd_matto is a n00b
System files that can be UPX'd?

Hello-

Great work by Mike (for the tools), and by Helmi, Mike and Colonel (for the new 3.3 based ROMs).

Helmi's ROM (and the Colonel's, which has two extra copies of a 680K file, one in \windows and the other \windows\pem\) can be easily fixed via the custom tools following instructions on here. In addition, the smartdialer hack can be similarly fixed.

As I was working my way through this custom ROM exercise, I thought about UPX and system files. At first, I tried a blanket UPX of EVERYTHING; did not go over well. So, I was wondering about people's experience with UPXing ROM files, and, specifically, what ROM files can be safely UPXd. Your thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-28-2007, 04:33 PM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
The rom itself is compressed (apparently) so UPXing on top of that might not always be a win - according to the long long long rom kitchen thread at least.

The only reason to UPX stuff in rom is to make enough space to fit more stuff into rom. At least in the Rom Kitchen you can see when you go over the limit, and if you do you need to pull out something to get back under the limit.
Old 01-28-2007, 04:40 PM
Retired Staff

Exactly schettj, that is the way I understand it as well. Many people believe that removing programs from the rom will give them ample amounts of Storage and Program memory. The fact is, though, that its just not true (that I have seen anyway). My .nba files are always 63.2 MB regardless of what I put in them. Actually, my dump folder is 94MB right now so that shows the compression that is taking place.

If you have been helped by me or would like to support developers like Olipro, helmi_c, and others please feel free to Donate

ALWAYS FLASH BACK TO YOUR CARRIER'S OFFICIAL ROM BEFORE TAKING YOUR PHONE IN FOR SERVICE OF ANY KIND

Old 01-28-2007, 04:52 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Apache (PPC6700); Titan (Mogul)

luv2chill is keeping up the good workluv2chill is keeping up the good work
Send a message via ICQ to luv2chill Send a message via AIM to luv2chill Send a message via MSN to luv2chill Send a message via Yahoo to luv2chill Send a message via Skype™ to luv2chill
I haven't gotten much into the UPX thing yet (it's on my list!) but I believe one of the side effects of UPX compression is quicker load times (because the speed bottleneck is in reading the file from flash rom). So since a UPX'ed file is smaller in size, it can be copied from the flash rom to memory faster and will therefore speed up its load time.

So even if it doesn't directly give you more storage memory it may still be worth trying to UPX some stuff if it means that stuff loads faster. Also, as you've said it allows you to pre-install more stuff in the ROM so that you don't have to use your storage memory for it.

Only problem is that it seems that UPX'ing the wrong files can cause all kinds of gremlins, so there's a ton of trial and error involved. A wiki page with summaries of which files can be successfully UPX'ed and which ones can't would be a good way to go (maybe one already exists somewhere?).
Old 01-28-2007, 07:09 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Treo 800w

kwyatt is a n00b
how would i go about upxing some system files using either this or the rom kitchen method, also what system files are ok to upx?
Old 01-28-2007, 09:19 PM
Lurker

crencom is a n00b
I cannot get past a certain point with this process. I can dump the .nba file. I edit what I want on the dump folder. Then when I run the process to restore the edited Dump folder to a .nba, it doesn't seem to build the .nba file. I assume the new .nba would appear in Folder 2, but it is.nt there, just the original .nba. Anyone have any ideas.

scott
Old 01-28-2007, 10:00 PM
Retired Staff

That is your .nba. The app just patches it with your new stuff. Just copy it to folder 1 and encode.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:55 PM
Retired Staff

Here are the registry entries for the Mark All As Read cab. I have not had a chance to package anything else at this point. For this, though, all you need is the entries and the files from the cab.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Apps\SwartB SmartDeviceCab1]
"Instl"=dword:00000001
"InstallDir"="\\Program Files\\SmartDeviceCab1"
"InstlDir"="\\Program Files\\SmartDeviceCab1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shell\Extens ions]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shell\Extens ions\ContextMenus]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shell\Extens ions\ContextMenus\Inbox]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shell\Extens ions\ContextMenus\Inbox\List_View_Context]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shell\Extens ions\ContextMenus\Inbox\List_View_Context\{6F3A2AA 2-D88D-4e3d-85C1-D5B403EAD4EF}]
@="Inbox Context Menu Extension"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shell\Extens ions\ContextMenus\Inbox\List_View]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shell\Extens ions\ContextMenus\Inbox\List_View\{47018836-A919-42f7-84AF-89257BA458BA}]
@="Inbox Softkey Menu Extension"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{6F3A2AA2-D88D-4e3d-85C1-D5B403EAD4EF}]
@="Inbox Context Menu Extension"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{6F3A2AA2-D88D-4e3d-85C1-D5B403EAD4EF}\InprocServer32]
@="\\Program Files\\SmartDeviceCab1\\InboxMenuExtensibility.dll "

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{47018836-A919-42f7-84AF-89257BA458BA}]
@="Inbox Softkey Menu Extension"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{47018836-A919-42f7-84AF-89257BA458BA}\InprocServer32]
@="\\Program Files\\SmartDeviceCab1\\InboxMenuExtensibility.dll "

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\AppInstall\SwartB SmartDeviceCab1]
"InstallDir"="\\Program Files\\SmartDeviceCab1"
"Role"=dword:00000018