PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2008, 07:03 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung
Carrier: VZW

Sarge, USMC is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Weather Applications

These applications that deliver your local weather to your device.....how do they work? Do you have to subscribe to the service? I have an internet connection, and I am unable to get the HTC Home Weather app to show me my local weather, so I took it the buton off the Today screen.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:15 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

spetrillo knows their stuffspetrillo knows their stuffspetrillo knows their stuffspetrillo knows their stuffspetrillo knows their stuffspetrillo knows their stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge, USMC View Post
These applications that deliver your local weather to your device.....how do they work? Do you have to subscribe to the service? I have an internet connection, and I am unable to get the HTC Home Weather app to show me my local weather, so I took it the buton off the Today screen.
What version of the Today plugin are you running. If it is not 2.1 then you will not get custom weather. There is a bug. What you need to do is upgrade to the 2.1 Today plugin, and then download the HTC Home customizer, or HHC. The HHC will allow you to add a custom weather location to your Home plugin.

You dont have to subscribe to any service, and you can set it up so that the plugin automatically keeps the weather updated. The 2.1 plugin is out here also in one of the forums, as is the HHC.

If you need any addtl help give me a yell.

Steve
Old 01-02-2008, 06:24 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: XV6700
Carrier: Verizon

rbinkley is a n00b
Obviously your phone will have to download data, so you won't have to subscribe to any service, but you will be charged data usage from your carrier.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:25 AM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I wrote a mortscript that uses Yahoo's weather web2.0 api. Most of them do something like that, or they scrape weather.com's web pages.

So yep, they'd doing some http data fetching every so often.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:00 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: XV6800
Carrier: VZW

weedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to weedahoe Send a message via MSN to weedahoe Send a message via Yahoo to weedahoe
I use Pocket Weather 1.3.6 and it works great for me. I made a small vid for you so you could see what all it covers. You can update it using a data line or wifi. You can also set it to update at certain times or frequencies and it can provide an animated radar image.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=G65IWJc2QSk
Old 01-02-2008, 02:57 PM
Deep Thinker
Pocket PC: Tin Can
Carrier: Atomic Vibration

gguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbinkley View Post
Obviously your phone will have to download data, so you won't have to subscribe to any service, but you will be charged data usage from your carrier.
You don't have to incur data charges: I regularly connect via WIFI to the internet to get weather updates.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:30 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: mogul

docdoom is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by spetrillo View Post
What version of the Today plugin are you running. If it is not 2.1 then you will not get custom weather. There is a bug. What you need to do is upgrade to the 2.1 Today plugin, and then download the HTC Home customizer, or HHC. The HHC will allow you to add a custom weather location to your Home plugin.

You dont have to subscribe to any service, and you can set it up so that the plugin automatically keeps the weather updated. The 2.1 plugin is out here also in one of the forums, as is the HHC.

If you need any addtl help give me a yell.

Steve
i cant find the 2.1 Today plugin anywhere..do u have a link to help me??

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache