PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2007, 06:32 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Incredible
Carrier: Verizon-Alltel

digi is keeping up the good workdigi is keeping up the good workdigi is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
ExtROM cabs coming back after hard reset??

Hey guys, I broke the usb port on my xv6700, and just got my brand new Alltel PPC 6700 today. First thing I did after activating it was flashed to my WM6 ROM that I had cooked for my old phone. After booting, I went in the ExtROM and deleted all the cabs.

I like to install large apps to ExtROM, but when I began installing, my phone locked up. I had to hard reset to get it back running again because with a soft reset it would just hang on the welcome screen.

Anyways, after hard reset, my ExtROM restores itself, time and time again. I manually made all the files not Read-Only, and then manually deleted them several times. It shows them as gone with GSFinder, Resco, and Total Commander.

Anyways, I guess I will flash with a blank ExtROM, but I still just dont know why it would do this. My xv6700 treated the ExtROM like a storage card, it would be unaffected by hard reset.

Who can tell me whats really goin on here? Is this normal behavior? and was my xv6700 not doing what it was supposed to?

Alltel / Verizon
Old 12-20-2007, 07:05 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: XV6700
Carrier: Verizon

TMB_XV6700 is just getting started
What you describe sounds like normal behavior if you unhide but don't unlock the extended rom before making changes to it. I've done that by accident before - made all sorts of changes that appear to work at first but then don't survive a soft reset. The extended rom unlocker is included in the current kitchen - you need to run it after finishing your flashing/hard-reset process. (You only have to do this once, then it's easy to forget later.)
Old 12-20-2007, 07:29 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Incredible
Carrier: Verizon-Alltel
Threadstarter

digi is keeping up the good workdigi is keeping up the good workdigi is keeping up the good work
Ok, perhaps that was the problem. I went ahead and flashed a blank ExtROM, but its good to know what was going on.

I think I had unlocked and deleted my xv6700 ExtROM before I ever flashed it, and I guess here I didn't realize there was a difference in unHIDE and unLOCK.

Only one more thing that I'm trying to figure out on this new one though, my xv6700 had 43.5 mb of storage, and this one only has 39.5 mb. I read something about the bootloader versions changing the partition sizes, and my xv6700 had v 1.02, while this thing has v 2.02. I'm guessing that is the difference, I only wish I could take advantage of that by building a larger ROM or something. meh... oh well

Thanks for the quick reply!
Old 12-21-2007, 12:14 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: XV6700
Carrier: Verizon

TMB_XV6700 is just getting started
I've always had 39.6 MB total storage memory on WM5 and WM6 with Bootloader 2.02. I never realized I was missing out on an extra 4 MB.....

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache