PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2007, 08:18 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: ppc6700
Threadstarter

stensonb is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggaeta View Post
I get the same issue every pnec and a while but it seems to resolve itself. i make siure the ppc is on and not locked (S2U2) and that the pc activesync is not on yet. it self starts when i connect. Make sure the connection settings are correct on both PC and PPC. it might be the activesync is set to something other than connect "via usb". sorry i am not much help
Thank you for your advice...I think I'm onto something I didn't notice before...when I go into the "Comm Manager" on the PPC, the activesync and the button above it is greyed out...when I touch them to activate them, they do not respond...the phone, wifi, and speaker buttons do work...

I'm assuming that when I press the greyed out activesync button on the comm manager it should become "active", right? would this prevent any usb connection?
Old 12-15-2007, 09:09 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: verizon xv6700

christinme7890 is a n00b
I would actually flash your rom to the newest ROM or even a custom kitchen (if you have a verizon 6700, go to UTStarcom.com and download the newest rom update). It is possible that whoever had the phone before you had "tinkered" with the OS and thus they have done something wrong.
Install a new ROM (I make sure I do this on any phone that I know hasn't come from a main dealer (verizon or whatever). I got mine from ebay and the second I installed it, I installed a new Rom because I don't trust ebay dealers.

On a second note, make sure that your usb drivers are up to date....also VISTA SUCKS, PERIOD. You probably can't help having vista, but if you can please for the sake of all that is holy and good install XP or LINUX or something not VISTA. Many companies realize that people aren't accepting VISTA and thus don't update their drivers for the OS.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:21 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

stensonb is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by christinme7890 View Post
I would actually flash your rom to the newest ROM or even a custom kitchen (if you have a verizon 6700, go to UTStarcom.com and download the newest rom update). It is possible that whoever had the phone before you had "tinkered" with the OS and thus they have done something wrong.
Install a new ROM (I make sure I do this on any phone that I know hasn't come from a main dealer (verizon or whatever). I got mine from ebay and the second I installed it, I installed a new Rom because I don't trust ebay dealers.

On a second note, make sure that your usb drivers are up to date....also VISTA SUCKS, PERIOD. You probably can't help having vista, but if you can please for the sake of all that is holy and good install XP or LINUX or something not VISTA. Many companies realize that people aren't accepting VISTA and thus don't update their drivers for the OS.
Thanks for your input. Perhaps I'm confused. How do I update the ROM without the ability to use my USB port. This device will not connect via USB.

Can I update the ROM via the minisd card?

I've been a linux user for the last 10 years. My wife uses WinXP on her work laptop...that's the computer I've used to attempt and upload a Helmi's Kitchen ROM...

isn't this a chicken and egg thing?
Old 12-15-2007, 11:53 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Apache (PPC6700); Titan (Mogul)
Carrier: Sprint

luv2chill is keeping up the good workluv2chill is keeping up the good work
Send a message via ICQ to luv2chill Send a message via AIM to luv2chill Send a message via MSN to luv2chill Send a message via Yahoo to luv2chill Send a message via Skype™ to luv2chill
There are multiple pins in the usb connector. My guess is that some of yours aren no longer connected. It happens due to the stress inflicted on the connector when a cable/cradle is plugged in and removed from it so many times. It's happened to me.

I'm really surprised that no one else has suggested that--especially with the knowledge that the USB ports on these things are a weak spot, and with it having been purchased used on ebay. God knows how the previous owner treated it.

If you're handy then open the thing up and resolder the connector. Otherwise get your money back from the seller. If you've already tried two different computers with no success then it's almost definitely a hardware problem.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:14 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: TouchPro Upscaled to 800mhz + REV/B = Fast as hell
Carrier: Nimitz

Raging Idiot is keeping up the good workRaging Idiot is keeping up the good work
Quote:
Originally Posted by stensonb View Post
Thanks for your input. Perhaps I'm confused. How do I update the ROM without the ability to use my USB port. This device will not connect via USB.

Can I update the ROM via the minisd card?

I've been a linux user for the last 10 years. My wife uses WinXP on her work laptop...that's the computer I've used to attempt and upload a Helmi's Kitchen ROM...

isn't this a chicken and egg thing?
No, the lizard comes first.

And sorry bud, you can't update the ROM via the minisd card, but you might be able to take a needle (like I did) and fix the usb pins via micro adjustment.

BTW- you might want to try a couple different versions of active sync.
Ideally you would also have the installation disk that is normally given with this phone.

Also - if it comes down to it - don't rule out the possibility that the seller MIGHT be flexible on a return/exchange.

Otherwise- it's not the end of the world if you can't A-Sync it. Plenty of things you can do with the phone independently. It was considered obsolete 3 months ago anyway. Perhaps you got it for a steal of a deal.
When you were in diapers and wetting the sheets I was out hacking with the ppcgeeks.

Last edited by Raging Idiot; 12-16-2007 at 12:17 AM.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:38 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: PPC 6700
Carrier: Telus

iansinger is a n00b
USB not recognized

When my 6700 running the v6 ROM is pugged into the USB on my XP Prof system via the cradle with Active Sync not running the PC doesnt recognize it either. Its not supposed to. Active Sync has to be running and it has to be checked to connect via USB.

If the 6700 times out and blanks the screen something somewhere on pc? ding dongs and does it again when it is turned back on.

(The above is with the phone, wifi and bluetooth turned off through comm manager)
Old 12-16-2007, 04:16 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Apache 6700

RobertMills is a n00b
I finally found a solution to my problem on another part of ppcgeeks.com

Uninstall WMDC or ActiveSync depending on your OS.

>>Right click "Computer"
>>Click "Manage"
>>Double click "Users and Groups"
>>Click "Groups"
>>Right click "Administrators"
>>Click "Add to group..."
>>Click "Add"
>>Click "Advanced"
>>Click "Find Now"
>>Double click "Local Service"
>>Click "Ok"
>>"NT Authority\Local Service" should show up in the list now
>>Click "Ok"
>>Close Computer Management and reboot.

Go to microsoft and grab the most recent update for either package and install.

Connect device, hopefully it will pick it up. I did this and I was finally able to have my phone recognized and syncing again!

If it doesn't work initally, try and reboot computer and the phone while connected to the computer.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:19 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: verizon xv6700

christinme7890 is a n00b
or you could take it to your service provider and say that the pins are not functioning and he will replace it. I don't know what service you have but If I take my phone to verizon and say something is broke, they will give me a brand new one for $50 and possibly even upgrade the phone model as well...not that I really want that.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:36 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: TouchPro Upscaled to 800mhz + REV/B = Fast as hell
Carrier: Nimitz

Raging Idiot is keeping up the good workRaging Idiot is keeping up the good work
Quote:
Originally Posted by stensonb View Post
Well, thanks for the effort. I feel like I've tried everything. Soft reset. Hard reset. Different cables. Different computers. Different OSes....
It was from that bit of info that led us all a bit off track. Usually when you try multiple computers it tends to rule out the computer setup, other than the activesync software.
Seems like if the phone wasn't working because of the LocalService not being part of the admin group then many other things wouldn't work either. Might as well try hooking up anything else that wasn't working before.

Glad you got it fixed before throwing it against the wall. Actually, I started my first phone related post on a diffirent forum using the title: "About to break it in half"... as the phone looks like it's just asking for it.
Now go help someone else out, but don't become OCD about it like the rest of us.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:24 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

stensonb is a n00b
not fixed yet

well...its not fixed yet.

I went into the Sprint store yesterday and gave them my sob story. I activated the phone and sent if off to their technicians. The technicians say it works 100% and there are no hardware issues. They returned the phone to me, gave me a new usb cable, and told me to contact customer service over the phone in order to troubleshoot the connectivity with my computer.

in the mean time, i'm getting really excited about the possibilities of this phone...movie player, music player, picture albums, contact backups, bluetooth headset interface...all the things i want, except the usb syncing part...

stay tuned for the continuing saga...

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache