PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2008, 07:05 PM
Lurker

eugenio is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Boost Mobile?

Hello all, I have been viewing these forums for a while and can say that I am happy to have seen it. Just recently fixed my ppc 6700 from the bootloader menu brick thing. So now im trying to mess with it as much as i can. Today i went to a sign shop to do some work and next to it there was a boost mobile store and i liked their plans, cheap and good coverage. So i was wondering is tehre anyway to change the Sprint PPC 6700 to Boost Mobile. Thanks in Advance.

-Eugenio
Old 03-07-2008, 07:08 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HD2/TouchPro2
Carrier: T-Mo

reeg420 knows their stuffreeg420 knows their stuffreeg420 knows their stuffreeg420 knows their stuffreeg420 knows their stuffreeg420 knows their stuffreeg420 knows their stuff
Re: Boost Mobile?

nope...boost is a different type of network....
Old 03-07-2008, 07:12 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

eugenio is a n00b

Well I talked to the guy and he said that his friend had a Palm Treo that he had Metro PCS with, which is somewhat like the same as Boost. And boost mobile just got the unlimited calling, texting, and web so i dont see why you couldnt make it work for it. But thanks for the answer hopefully someone else can tell me somethin else lol.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:53 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: PPC6700
Carrier: Sprint

tdcrone is a n00b

I can tell you something else, or rather expand the comment a bit.

reeg is correct that until the past few months boost was iDEN-only, i.e. a CDMA 6700 couldn't work. Basically you've got iDEN (old Nextel/new US DoD), CDMA (Sprint,Vz) and GSM (AT,Tmo,Europe and most of Asia). No normal phone will be compatible with more than one of the three (and the owners of the exceptions will know it).

Your Sprint 6700 is CDMA. MetroPCS is all CDMA, as are many of the prepaid providers. Non-big providers are more likely to let you bring your own phone.

Since Boost is just adding CDMA support now it looks like they are limiting people to their vendor phones designed for the Sprint network. IIRC, Boost is a Sprint-owned thing, so they aren't likely to change their minds about that, but then maybe if they have another bad quarter they'll do it anyway.

If you're close to the store, go ask the counter clerk if you can bring your own CDMA phone and get the unlimited plan. If that doesn't work ask if you can buy one of their phones and then do an ESN swap for your old phone. They'll probably have to call support for that one.

Honestly I suspect both answers to be 'no' but you might get lucky. If so, give it a month (mid-April or early May) and see if they answer the same way.

That said, does Boost do mobile data? It looks like no, and that might not be an issue for you if you're always near wifi. Just a thought.

Cheers.
Old 03-08-2008, 03:41 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

eugenio is a n00b

haha. thanks for the answer very clear and to the point. gave me some hope there. and yeah they just started doing the unlimited plan for texting, web and calling. so hopefully they do because it'd be really nice to have the ppc 6700 with them. thanks to all!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache