PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2009, 06:41 PM
My ROMS On My Site
Pocket PC: Vogue
Carrier: Verizon
Threadstarter

PDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: PDAJ's Clean WM6.5 ROM 4 Apache

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerslayer View Post
PDAPhoneJunkie,

As a new HTC Apache user, I've learned quite a bit from your tutorials and posts. Thanks for putting up such a comprehensive set of resources. As a BlackBerry user, the Windows Mobile world is a new bit; it helps to have plenty of reading material!

Unfortunately, it seems that my phone's software is not compatible with your latest WM6.5 ROM.

My ROM version seems to be at 2.06.00 WWE (from the Start>Settings>System>Device Information screen.

My bootloader seems to be at 2.02 (when I do put the phone in bootloader mode, the bottom numbers read 2.02)

I downloaded your ROM marked 'v1.00-1.02-v2.02' from the PDAJ's Clean WM6.5 ROM 4 Apache thread - I had thought that v2.02 referred to the bootloader. When I attempt to install it (with the usb connections turned off, in bootloader mode), the program ends up first showing up with blank values of the current version information & the update's version. If I click 'Upgrade', it errors out with error 150 (ROM upgrade utility error - "This ROM Upgrade Utility is not designed for your device. Please get the proper ROM Upgrade Utility and try again!").

I'm guessing that 2.02 refers to the ROM version already installed?

I suppose I could downgrade my ROM, but from your guide on troubles after downgrading, I'm a little leery - and why add a potentially unnecessary step to the process? [edit] - I think I mispoke here - you were talking about downgrading the bootloader, not the ROM![/edit]

Any thoughts on the matter? I'm hoping that there is some easy solution that I'm overlooking, but my search of the forums hasn't borne any fruit!

Thanks,
Fr. Maurer
Howdy. There is indeed a simple a solution to your problem, you need to downgrade the drivers in Windows Mobile Device Center, you can find info on that here.

If you enjoy my work or I have helped you out, and you want to send some love my way... it's appreciated but not required.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:03 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: PPC 3700
Carrier: Sprint

computerslayer is a n00b

Well that was simple. Worked like a charm and Windows Mobile 6.5 is up and running!

Thank you!

- Father Maurer
Old 08-09-2009, 01:05 AM
Lurker

computerslayer is a n00b

...maybe I spoke too soon.

Although the ROM upgraded perfectly, I've run into a couple of issues. Most important is that I no longer have access to contacts. Contacts (the program/shortcut) doesn't work. When I attempt to get to my contacts, it starts and then immediately closes. Not sure what thats about.

Additionally, several icons are duplicated in the start menu. In the process of deleting them, I must have deleted the new Internet Explorer icon instead of the old, and am now stuck with the low-resolution icon. Yuck.

When I try to downgrade to the OEM ROM, it crashes out - I suspect this is because of the downgraded drivers. How to I upgrade them so that I can start this all over (downgrade, upgrade and see if it works correctly)?

- Father Maurer

[Update]
I'll try uninstalling & re-installing Windows Mobile Device Center and see what happens - I'll report in with the results
[/update]

Last edited by computerslayer; 08-09-2009 at 01:11 AM. Reason: Update
Old 08-09-2009, 01:55 AM
Lurker

computerslayer is a n00b

The above plan worked out fine.

I also figured out what I did wrong in the first place: a hard reset. I just reset the darn thing normally after upgrading. Apparently that has some fairly detrimental side effects. User error.... sigh. Thank goodness I didn't brick the phone.

Thanks again PDAJ - this upgrade is a huge improvement on the stock version of Windows Mobile (version 5, I think).

- Father Maurer
Old 08-09-2009, 02:10 AM
My ROMS On My Site
Threadstarter

PDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerslayer View Post
The above plan worked out fine.

I also figured out what I did wrong in the first place: a hard reset. I just reset the darn thing normally after upgrading. Apparently that has some fairly detrimental side effects. User error.... sigh. Thank goodness I didn't brick the phone.

Thanks again PDAJ - this upgrade is a huge improvement on the stock version of Windows Mobile (version 5, I think).

- Father Maurer
Yeah a hard reset is needed, maybe I will put that in caps in the first post... BTW, to get the other drivers back, simply go into the same wiindow we changed them in and hit "search for driver updates", it will download them from the web.
Old 08-09-2009, 02:30 AM
Lurker

computerslayer is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDAPhoneJunkie View Post
Yeah a hard reset is needed, maybe I will put that in caps in the first post... BTW, to get the other drivers back, simply go into the same wiindow we changed them in and hit "search for driver updates", it will download them from the web.
In all fairness, the installer itself prompts for a hard reset - I just didn't pay attention very well. I assumed it was a soft reset and when that didn't work, I just did a regular reset. That said, maybe there are more people out there like me who need the extra reminder.

Thats good to know about the updated drivers. Certainly easier than uninstalling & reinstalling Windows Mobile Device Center.

Thanks again,
Fr. Maurer
Old 08-10-2009, 01:52 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: 2 Touch Pro 2, Apache (still working great)
Carrier: ALL SERO, ALL THE TIME with android

EJFudd is a n00b

Any chance you could post some pics on the first thread. This will help people decide if this might be for them. TIA
Old 08-10-2009, 01:57 AM
Lurker

computerslayer is a n00b

What would you like pictures of - the install process or the end result? (Or were you posting for PDAJ?)

Happy to help, if possible. Let me know.

- Father M
Old 08-10-2009, 02:12 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Sprint PPC-6700
Carrier: Verizon (I don't have Sprint anymore)

Winkler099 is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to Winkler099

PDAPhoneJunkie you're incredible !!
Old 08-10-2009, 02:17 AM
My ROMS On My Site
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winkler099 View Post
PDAPhoneJunkie you're incredible !!
Why thank you kind sir, hope you enjoy.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development