PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2008, 10:38 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

nortorp is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsidian440 View Post
I want to say thanks to everyone who worked on the wm6 upgrade and the kitchen, I really appreciate your work in bringing this update to those of us who love our phones but our carriers don't.

That said, I'm having trouble getting my direct push to work again with my exchange server. We are using 2007 with a self-signed ssl cert. On wm5 I was able to use the registry changes along with importing the cert manually to make it work. With my new upgrade I am now getting the message "server cert is wrong". I was unable to find any real answer searching google and these forums. I have tried to manually import the cert and doing the registry change but I'm still running into the same problem.

To be more specific, without the registry change, I get a message stating the server is the wrong name, with the registry it just tells me the certificate is wrong. I have checked all date/time settings on both my server and my phone, both match exactly. I have full access to the exchange server and phone. Any ideas ? Are there any new registry tweaks that can be done ?
Or is this just a case of having a self-signed cert and I should buckled down and buy a real one ?
I can confirm this problem. Prior to this update, I was able to connect to my exchange server, now it says "The security certificate on the server is not valid". I believe my work uses exchange 2003.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:52 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: XV6700
Carrier: Verizon

rspppcgeeks is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarDestroyer View Post
Yes, it is just another method of getting the cert installed. I've used the .cab version successfully on every version of Windows Mobile I've had on my phone (including the original Sprint ROM and updated official Sprint ROM) with the exception of the latest (1117) kitchen. I can't personally vouch that it works in that kitchen as I now use the OEM method (I started using that in the 1108 kitchen).

Though I guess if the cert if properly installed as a trusted cert in Windows Mobile, then this may not be the solution. Have you tried accessing your exchange server using Pocket IE? Active Sync and Pocket IE are supposed to use the same APIs for accessing the server so if you can't access it from IE w/out SSL errors, it won't work in Active Sync.
It makes a big difference whether the cert gets installed into the Root store or the Intermediate store. We were doing some testing at work and discovered that the only way we could get a silf-signed cert into the actual root store is to use the cab install method. Other attempts all resulted in the self-signed cert getting placed into the intermediate store. Didn't make sense to me at the time, but that's what we found.

So if you didn't use the cab install method, make sure you try it.
Old 03-16-2008, 02:20 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: PPC-6700 - WM6.1

bwonish is a n00b
Re: Apache WM6 Kitchen CE OS 5.2.1908 (Build 18508.0.7.0) 071117_1 Bugs/Patches

Direct Push - server certificate is wrong --

To confirm this bug: One of the biggest problems i initially had with upgrading to WM6 was that my email and contacts wouldn't connect with my company's exchange server or that direct push wouldn't connect. The problem is described as follows:

"That said, I'm having trouble getting my direct push to work again with my exchange server. We are using 2007 with a self-signed ssl cert. On wm5 I was able to use the registry changes along with importing the cert manually to make it work. With my new upgrade I am now getting the message "server cert is wrong". I was unable to find any real answer searching google and these forums. I have tried to manually import the cert and doing the registry change but I'm still running into the same problem.

To be more specific, without the registry change, I get a message stating the server is the wrong name, with the registry it just tells me the certificate is wrong. I have checked all date/time settings on both my server and my phone, both match exactly. I have full access to the exchange server and phone. Any ideas ? Are there any new registry tweaks that can be done ?"

I was able to fix this problem by importing a cert manually, without any tweaks, but it had to be done in the following way for mine to work (i will write this in the most basic explanation i can, so that hopefully everyone can follow):

1. Open Internet Explorer : Obtaining the certificate had to be through internet explorer, it wouldn't work through firefox or other browsers.
2. Go to your exchange.___.com email server for your company.
3. There should be a certificate symbol at the bottom right corner of your screen (the yellow/gold padlock). Double click it
4. click on the details tab.
5. Click on the "Copy to File..." button.
6. The Certificate Export Wizard should show up (or does for me). click next
7. I used the first format option DER, then click next.
8. give the certificate a name, save it to your computer
9. using activesync, just copy it over to the phone and from the phone, double click on it.

Most of this should be pretty straight forward, but when i first had this problem, i had problems getting a certificate that would work. My IT administrator sent me the official one off the server, but it wouldn't work. using the steps above, it works perfectly. I didn't have to use any registry changes at all, just finding the correct certificate fixed all the problems.

Hope this helps. Feel free to add any comments to this post or clean it up.
Old 03-22-2008, 05:44 PM
raybudd

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Re: Apache WM6 Kitchen CE OS 5.2.1908 (Build 18508.0.7.0) 071117_1 Bugs/Patches

I may be doing something wrong...wm6.1 rom and picmail. I can receive but I cannot send! Please help!

raybudd

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development