PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2007, 01:26 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint Diamond(Victor)
Carrier: Sprint

360discgolf is keeping up the good work360discgolf is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Registry editing question

When you remove a program sometimes the reg keys created by the particular program will still exist after removal.

My question for example is this...

If I remove KoolContacts made by Neato. Can I go to HKLM/Software/Neato and simply delete the entire string without effect anything in the OS?
Old 11-15-2007, 02:06 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: XV3850 with full gps (thanks eRice, SCrosler, and bored)
Carrier: Verizon

ajgalbraith98 is a n00b
Generally yes.

That being said, you break it you buy it. The registry is Microsoft's way of helping developers centralize settings. Before it's implentation in Windows 95/NT, INI files were the primary way each program saved it's settings. So the real question is ... since it's a central database of settings..will your deletions effect any other software. If its under HKLM/Software/[Manufacture]/[SoftwareTitle] or HKCU/Software/[Manufacture]/[SoftwareTitle] and you KNOW you have nothing from that manufacturer you can general safely kill it. If your not sure..leave it...since you don't have anything from that manufacturer, nothing will read it either

--ajgalbraith98
Old 11-15-2007, 01:57 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Apache (PPC6700); Titan (Mogul)

luv2chill is keeping up the good workluv2chill is keeping up the good work
Send a message via ICQ to luv2chill Send a message via AIM to luv2chill Send a message via MSN to luv2chill Send a message via Yahoo to luv2chill Send a message via Skype™ to luv2chill
Nice explanation ajgalbraith98!
Old 11-15-2007, 07:28 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

ajgalbraith98,

so if I don't have any other programs running from that manufacturer would it not matter either way if the registry data still was present? That's what i gathered from your last comment.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:38 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: XV3850 with full gps (thanks eRice, SCrosler, and bored)
Carrier: Verizon

ajgalbraith98 is a n00b
Yes and No and well you get the point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360discgolf View Post
ajgalbraith98,

so if I don't have any other programs running from that manufacturer would it not matter either way if the registry data still was present? That's what i gathered from your last comment.
There is fairly little danger in leaving a registry entry there. When and if you re-install an application from the same manufacturer it might even regain its settings. Then again if you uninstalled it because it was buggy, it would be a good idea to "clean up" after the uninstall before you try it again.

That being said I always clean mine up, but Im kinda quirky about organized computers...funny because my office is a mess, but my computers are always exactly how i want them

Also there is ALWAYS the rule of "you break it you buy it..." cutting into the registry is half science, half art...not every programmer follows the rules, not ever company puts their stuff in the right spot, and some hide it on purpose. You can ALWAYS Export the settings before you cut them...of course if you mess up too deep you can't get back to a registry editor to fix it. (having a safemode program helps but even thats not fool-proof)

hope that helps,

--ajgalbraith98
Old 11-15-2007, 09:26 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajgalbraith98 View Post
There is fairly little danger in leaving a registry entry there. When and if you re-install an application from the same manufacturer it might even regain its settings. Then again if you uninstalled it because it was buggy, it would be a good idea to "clean up" after the uninstall before you try it again.

That being said I always clean mine up, but Im kinda quirky about organized computers...funny because my office is a mess, but my computers are always exactly how i want them

Also there is ALWAYS the rule of "you break it you buy it..." cutting into the registry is half science, half art...not every programmer follows the rules, not ever company puts their stuff in the right spot, and some hide it on purpose. You can ALWAYS Export the settings before you cut them...of course if you mess up too deep you can't get back to a registry editor to fix it. (having a safemode program helps but even thats not fool-proof)

hope that helps,

--ajgalbraith98
That helps a lot actually. I'm really trying to gain more knowledge about what I'm doing. Wich I could pick your brain for awhile. One of things I am really trying to figure out right now is how to hack into the Touchflo Scroll settings. I love the way finger scrolling works with PocketPlus 4 and I want the Touchflo to work the same way. I have looked thru the registry, but have no idea way to tweak.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development