PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > Legacy HTC Android Devices > Google Nexus One
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2010, 11:50 AM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead
Carrier: T-Mobile
Threadstarter

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid
Re: T-Mobile Nexus One Insurance

no sorry I still have another question on this, I assure you I am not doing anything shady here.

If I buy a nexus from a friend, can I still get tmobile to insure it or only if it is straight from Google? I might could save some $ that way, but I would really rather insure it cuz for $5 a month it's a good deal. Some tmobile rep told me that it has to be bought from google direct or they would not insure it, but I know sometimes different reps give you different stories, and I am used to the Sprint insurance plan where they pretty much cover any ESN you are currently holding, these GSM insurance deals seem a lot more strict.

Anyone able to shed some light on this (someone like mindfrost who has been dealing with GSM for a while and knows how it works)?
Old 03-29-2010, 12:05 PM
Bay Area Boss
Pocket PC: Nexus One

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to p-slim

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangekid View Post
no sorry I still have another question on this, I assure you I am not doing anything shady here.

If I buy a nexus from a friend, can I still get tmobile to insure it or only if it is straight from Google? I might could save some $ that way, but I would really rather insure it cuz for $5 a month it's a good deal. Some tmobile rep told me that it has to be bought from google direct or they would not insure it, but I know sometimes different reps give you different stories, and I am used to the Sprint insurance plan where they pretty much cover any ESN you are currently holding, these GSM insurance deals seem a lot more strict.

Anyone able to shed some light on this (someone like mindfrost who has been dealing with GSM for a while and knows how it works)?
it is basically the same as sprint every esn can be covered, if you buy my old nexus one you're insurance will carry over, but if the imei has been marked stolen their is no way for tmobile to disable the phone but that imei will never be allowed to have insurance on it again. With sprint if you find your lost phone you can activate it again by calling sprint, with tmobile since there is no way to disable the phone anyone who finds it can use it but can never have insurance on it again. tmobile will say only if its bought from google but they have no way of knowing where the phone came from unless that imei is tied to someone elses account or if its marked lost or stolen.
Google is the next skynet
Old 03-29-2010, 12:08 PM
Threadstarter

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-slim View Post
it is basically the same as sprint every esn can be covered, if you buy my old nexus one you're insurance will carry over, but if the imei has been marked stolen their is no way for tmobile to disable the phone but that imei will never be allowed to have insurance on it again. With sprint if you find your lost phone you can activate it again by calling sprint, with tmobile since there is no way to disable the phone anyone who finds it can use it but can never have insurance on it again. tmobile will say only if its bought from google but they have no way of knowing where the phone came from unless that imei is tied to someone elses account or if its marked lost or stolen.
well the rep said that apparently they can tell if you put insurance on it more than 2 weeks after it was bought from google and then they won't cover it. Was he just blowing smoke up my ass?

Last edited by orangekid; 03-29-2010 at 12:09 PM. Reason: didn't make any sense :S
Old 03-29-2010, 12:14 PM
Bay Area Boss

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
well the rep said that apparently they can tell if you put insurance on it more than 2 weeks after it was bought from google and then they won't cover it. Was he just blowing smoke up my ass?
i'm not too familiar with tmobile yet because i've had sprint for almost 10 years but i would assume he is because what if i bought the phone a month ago and never activated it, how would they know when i bought it? Also the phone comes from Google not Tmobile, T-mobile has no clue when i bought the phone. I'm positive tmobile has no clue when i buy it from google the only thing you have to make sure is that if it was insured by your friend can you insure it again. Your friend will have to tell tmobile he has a new imei he wants insured when he gets his new phone, that SHOULD release the imei and you should be able to insure it aftwards but i'm not positive. But as for the 2 week thing, he is lying.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:17 PM
Threadstarter

Quote:
i'm not too familiar with tmobile yet because i've had sprint for almost 10 years but i would assume he is because what if i bought the phone a month ago and never activated it, how would they know when i bought it? Also the phone comes from Google not Tmobile, T-mobile has no clue when i bought the phone. I'm positive tmobile has no clue when i buy it from google the only thing you have to make sure is that if it was insured by your friend can you insure it again. Your friend will have to tell tmobile he has a new imei he wants insured when he gets his new phone, that SHOULD release the imei and you should be able to insure it aftwards but i'm not positive. But as for the 2 week thing, he is lying.
well the rep said he doesn't even need the IMEI to insure the phone, which floored me. He said he could just "add the insurance" and they can tell what phone I'm rocking by my SIM card.

My worry is that if they can tell that that IMEI WAS used for 2 weeks by my friend, and they have it on record somehow, then when I actually go to CLAIM something (like if i drop it in water, etc...) they will say "well we show someone used it for 4 weeks then you used it so technically you can't get another for the $130 deductible"

what do you think?
Old 03-29-2010, 12:29 PM
Bay Area Boss

Quote:
well the rep said he doesn't even need the IMEI to insure the phone, which floored me. He said he could just "add the insurance" and they can tell what phone I'm rocking by my SIM card.

My worry is that if they can tell that that IMEI WAS used for 2 weeks by my friend, and they have it on record somehow, then when I actually go to CLAIM something (like if i drop it in water, etc...) they will say "well we show someone used it for 4 weeks then you used it so technically you can't get another for the $130 deductible"

what do you think?
This is why I said call them because yes they can tell by you just popping it in but I don't trust that method, also T-Mobile gives you the yay or nay on if its covered or not. Once you pop your sim into the phone call them and they will confirm they have the new imei then you're all official with no worries.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:30 PM
Threadstarter

Quote:
This is why I said callem because yes they can tell by you just popping it in but I don't trust that method, also T-Mobile gives you the yay or nay on if its covered or not. Once you pop your sim into the phone call them and they will confirm they have the new imei then you're all official with no worries.

yeah that's the most simple and smartest way to do it, thanks.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:38 PM
Bay Area Boss

Quote:
yeah that's the most simple and smartest way to do it, thanks.
As you know the sim card is where all your info is stored not the actual device, when you purchase your sim have them add insurance on at the time they're setting your plan up, the doesn't need to be present, so when you get the phone you'll already have an active sim card. Then call once you pop it in Later.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:39 PM
Threadstarter

Quote:
As you know the sim card is where all your info is stored not the actual device, when you purchase your sim have them add insurance on at the time they're setting your plan up, the doesn't need to be present, so when you get the phone you'll already have an active sim card. Then call once you pop it in Later.
im already on tmobile with a sim, but Im using an iphone so the insurance thing has never been an issue since its not a tmobile phone anyways.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:50 PM
Bay Area Boss

Quote:
im already on tmobile with a sim, but Im using an iphone so the insurance thing has never been an issue since its not a tmobile phone anyways.
That's different, since you're an existing customer can you just add insurance anytime? I did mine at the time I activated my sim, its always had it on there.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > Legacy HTC Android Devices > Google Nexus One