PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2010, 05:20 AM
Master Kimosabi
Pocket PC: HTC s620<Touch Pro<Touch Pro2<Hero<EVO
Carrier: The 10 years ago Network

aman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Anyone happy with wm7 reviews?

I read a few reviews on the new beta OS and I must say I'm glad with jumping ship. To me with all the negatives on the uber beta, seems like the new one is functionally (though looks better) worse than 6.5. Thoughts?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Old 07-21-2010, 09:49 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia
Carrier: Verizon

aximtreo is just getting started
Re: Anyone happy with wm7 reviews?

I will agree that it looks different than 6.5. It has to; otherwise MS would be wasting their time developing it. I read all the reviews I could find and I like what I see. I presently have the Droid and am due an upgrade in Nov. Depending on what I see and hear between now and then, I may hold out for one of the new WM7 phones.

I pay a few extra bucks upfront to get 1 year contracts just so I can dabble in new stuff quicker.

Remember, when Droid hit the streets, there was much clamor about it being so new!!
Old 07-21-2010, 11:41 AM
Old Dirty Jamaican
Pocket PC: Motorola Photon
Carrier: Sprint

Wesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributions

I am still up in the air about it, not going to make any judgment on it till I have it in my hands and get to use it for a while. it's got pro's and con's like everything else and when we get to see everything on it than I will pass judgment.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:09 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

Tim Smith is keeping up the good workTim Smith is keeping up the good work

You people do realize that operating systems can and will be updated, right? It's not like you buy this phone and will be stuck with it and it's missing features forever. Copy and paste, multitasking, etc... will be added. I'd bet sooner than most people expect. I wouldn't fault anyone for waiting a year but if you're eligible for a new phone and like the UI and what it has going for it now (despite missing some things) then I see no reason not to get it.

I love what I've seen so far and will preorder it as soon as a phone I like is available for it.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:43 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro

derfnoslen is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Smith View Post
You people do realize that operating systems can and will be updated, right? It's not like you buy this phone and will be stuck with it and it's missing features forever. Copy and paste, multitasking, etc... will be added. I'd bet sooner than most people expect. I wouldn't fault anyone for waiting a year but if you're eligible for a new phone and like the UI and what it has going for it now (despite missing some things) then I see no reason not to get it.

I love what I've seen so far and will preorder it as soon as a phone I like is available for it.
I like the Windows 7 Phone UI, I'm just so damaged from using WM phones. So far the big cons are no copy & paste, no youtube app or anyway to play videos (MAJOR CON), no HTML5 support. The only thing it has going for it is Zune, Office, and E-mail features. No twitter intergration at this point. Even though there can be updates, we all know how long it took for 6.5 to come out on some devices, and I remember reading a report on this site that it would take MS 5 years to get W7 where it should be. Also, I don't think anymore than two updates are going to come out before your device is old and you need to get a new one with Windows 7.5 or whatever lol. Also they are planning on launching this holiday season.... where are the apps? MS better get it's butt in gear because if it doesn't at LEAST have as many apps as the Palm Pre had the game is OVER.

I really love MS for Zune and Office... but I went to Android. I would go back just for Zune alone and the UI which really makes sense. But with Google coming out with a music service with 3.0 Gingerbread... who knows that may happen. If you can get a pass like "Zune pass" then I'm staying with Android. I've already bought apps and they have way more than MS could hope to have coming out the gate.

I agree with the other poster who said they are going to wait until November-December to see what is going to happen. Anyone who has an upgrade.. I recommend to save it until this Holiday season. With 3.0, Windows 7, and 2.0Ghz processors due out God knows the current phones (EVO,EPIC) may be on the side of the road somewhere.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:37 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

Tim Smith is keeping up the good workTim Smith is keeping up the good work

Youtube app will come. No way to play videos? Ummm Zune hub? The twitter integration is Twitter's fault, wmpoweruser.com has an article about it somewhere in the first couple of pages of their stories. Microsoft is working with Twitter to get it back into Live. These first series of phones the consumers will get will get at least one major update adding larger missing features. There's no way Microsoft waits on either copy and paste or multitasking that long. They need to add one of those two by Q1 2011 and I think they will. Where are the apps? Are you serious? There are blogs full of new app postings. They are out there and as the phone launch nears they'll start showing up more and more and more. The apps will be just fine. Over 100,000 people downloaded the SDK, so there is nothing to worry about. Even if only 1/10th of those people develop and release.

You do realize Android sucked at first right? It didn't come out with thousands of apps and running flawlessly (still doesn't run flawlessly). It took a while to get where it's at.

In October when the phone comes out we will know about any bad ass phones coming in the months following it so people can gauge their interest then. Also that "bad ass phone" you get in December will be topped by another in January or February anyway. So if you see something you like out and there's nothing specifically that you like more coming in the near future then I see no reason to wait because otherwise you'll be waiting forever. There will always be a "better" phone out than what you have. That's how the market is right now.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:59 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic
Carrier: Sprint SERO

2 Bunny is keeping up the good work2 Bunny is keeping up the good work2 Bunny is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to 2 Bunny Send a message via Skype™ to 2 Bunny
Smile WINDOWS MOBILE Reply

I think what we should be holding our breath over is weather or not Windows Mobile (Normal, I.E. 6.1) can be brought back to these so called "Windows Mobile 7" Devices. We've all given up on WM7, haven't we?

- 2 Bunny
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:20 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Smith View Post
Youtube app will come. No way to play videos? Ummm Zune hub? The twitter integration is Twitter's fault, wmpoweruser.com has an article about it somewhere in the first couple of pages of their stories. Microsoft is working with Twitter to get it back into Live. These first series of phones the consumers will get will get at least one major update adding larger missing features. There's no way Microsoft waits on either copy and paste or multitasking that long. They need to add one of those two by Q1 2011 and I think they will. Where are the apps? Are you serious? There are blogs full of new app postings. They are out there and as the phone launch nears they'll start showing up more and more and more. The apps will be just fine. Over 100,000 people downloaded the SDK, so there is nothing to worry about. Even if only 1/10th of those people develop and release.

You do realize Android sucked at first right? It didn't come out with thousands of apps and running flawlessly (still doesn't run flawlessly). It took a while to get where it's at.

In October when the phone comes out we will know about any bad ass phones coming in the months following it so people can gauge their interest then. Also that "bad ass phone" you get in December will be topped by another in January or February anyway. So if you see something you like out and there's nothing specifically that you like more coming in the near future then I see no reason to wait because otherwise you'll be waiting forever. There will always be a "better" phone out than what you have. That's how the market is right now.
I don't think it will matter if MS blames Twitter or even if it's Twitter's fault. They just need to fix it or they are going down.

The Zune hub? Really? I want YouTube, and millions of other people do. If they don't have YouTube they are going down. But I agree with you, I think it will come, there is no way they would leave it out.

If you read Engadget's post about the Windows 7 Phone review they state that MS was having problems getting copy and paste in for the final release (now I think MS can do it, I mean they are Microsoft for crying out loud) and they also were iffy about multi-tasking. (again, I think MS can do it) But they better kick butt or it's over. Now I've read places that say the UI is so well thought out that copy and paste may not be needed. I still want it though, I do like the UI's simple method though.

A lot of people download the SDK, until MS states how many apps they will have at launch, no one has any idea if it will even be close to what Android or Apple has. That said, I wanted to add that Microsoft has the power of XBOX behind them... that is kick @$$!!!! That alone could have people jumping ship like Google and Apple were the Titantic.

I get that Windows 7 is new and that Android sucked out of the gate too, BUT Windows should've fixed this mess a long time ago because they were out before anyone. Now they are the last to the game, who wants to give up a solid experience with Apple or Google to go with a new OS (Every major tech blog raves about Froyo in terms of being stable, so I think those days are over) I mean, I understand that it's new but it doesn't matter. MS will have to bring it or they are going down.

The reason I say wait until later this year is because even though the market is moving at a fast pace, we are turning the bend with alot of trends. Android states after 3.0 they do not plan to update there OS as much as they have in the past (meaning no 1.5, 1.6, 2.0, 2.1, 2.2 etc). They have reached a point where they will be sailing pretty smooth. 4g is expected to be released to more markets, with Verizon backing LTE later this year as well. Every phone you buy will be outdated by a newer phone but the point I'm trying to make is that at least it won't be outdated in a few months, like current android phones like the Droid, Hero, something like that. Because of Android making new versions every few months those devices no longer make the bill. With 3.0 and now Windows 7 I'd wait until late this year to choose.

That said I'm not an Google fanboy or Apple fanboy. I really like Microsoft actually lol. But I'll go with whatever works best.

Bottom line, I think the coin is in the air as to what the fate of MS will be. I really, REALLY, hope that MS pulls this thing off. Windows 7 looks amazing! I really like the idea of hubs, I like that MS is putting a tighter handle on hardware specs and software specs. I think they can do it.

Last edited by derfnoslen; 07-23-2010 at 03:36 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:57 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Tim Smith, one more thing. I heard that MS would not allow user-accessible memory cards? Is that true, I forget where I read it or I'd post a link. It stated that the phone can have microSD card etc as long as they are not user accessible? I'm asking because with Zune etc, I am going to need some space.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:50 PM
Old Dirty Jamaican
Pocket PC: Motorola Photon

Wesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWesley762 should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by derfnoslen View Post
Tim Smith, one more thing. I heard that MS would not allow user-accessible memory cards? Is that true, I forget where I read it or I'd post a link. It stated that the phone can have microSD card etc as long as they are not user accessible? I'm asking because with Zune etc, I am going to need some space.
I am sure it will only take a few weeks of being out on the market where people are hacking them to be able to add larger SD cards.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions