PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   General Windows Mobile Discussions (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Which OS Interests You Most? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=90810)

smoove21 10-11-2009 08:18 PM

So has the temptation got to you yet?

Ok first off I love sprint and pocket pcs..yet I must admit that windows mobile has turned me off. However this isn't a thread to bash them. I enjoyed the freedom and the many ways to customise the OS. The problem was that it would become old and in all honesty, the only things we were changing was the outter shell. At its core windows still is outdated and isn't really finger friendly.Either way I switched to a pre recently and with the hero being released today,the storm 2, bold 2 and even though I dislike apple, I have to give respect to the iphone.... All out or soon to be out on the market, is there anyone that has stuck with windows mobile(phone), that's has thought or is thinking of switching to a new OS? Be honest the temptation has to be there. This thread is solely for discussion as I'm interested in the thoughts and opinions of my peers. So if you've chose to stay or leave windows,please list your reasons why or why not...

spiritcrusher33 10-11-2009 08:24 PM

Re: So has the temptation got to you yet?

Had a pre, done bb, dont care for the iphone..I always come back to windows...for one reason...u can make it your own so easy.. and im used to it.. the funny thing is I prolly only use 30 minutes a month but use bout 3000 text and email. and bout 4 to 6 gigs in data.. thats why im thinking bout switching to verizon for the whitstone..and data and text only plan..

mlin 10-11-2009 08:28 PM

I have a Diamond, Palm Pre and iPhone, the Touch Pro is my wife's. I branched out more out of curiosity than from a disinterest in windows mobile. Personally, I still love the ability to customize and do whatever I want with my Diamond. The Pre is getting there and over at Precentral they have come up with a lot of neat ways to tweak the device. All the apps on the iPhone are cool and it has some really great games and for my use these are the most useful of the iPhone apps. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of time to play games so they rarely get used.

Personally I am most interested in the future of WinMo, and if the Leo comes to Sprint I will certainly use my upgrade for that device. I understand the frustration of many with WinMo, but personally it is still my favorite. Currently I am using my Diamond.

smoove21 10-11-2009 08:35 PM

valid points...its not that I dislike windows,just the state that its in now..I'm waiting to see what happens with windows phone 7. I just hope that the supposed leaked screens of it aren't true because that would mean that the OS could already be outdated.

breakmyfootoff 10-11-2009 10:00 PM

I'm kind of interested in Android, but there's no way I'd go to android till they get away from what seems to be a standard 3.2 inch screen. If they release an android device that has a screen equivalent to the Omnia2 or the HD2 I would definitely have a choice to make.

BenC 10-12-2009 02:32 AM

Any move from me would mean that there has to be Office compatibility.

SporkLover 10-12-2009 10:31 AM

I categorize myself as a WM user tempted by Android. I am waiting for better hardware before attempting the leap.

One thing is for sure.... it's about time viable alternatives are out there and kicking in the Smartphone arena. Competition is good for innovation..... hopefully MS is still good at that.

Noir 10-12-2009 11:00 AM

I had
blackberry storm
iphone
palm pre
and windows mobile
and out of the list, I still put windows mobile on top close to palm pre with a large second place (but it is an impressive device, screen and keyboard sucks bad). I choose windows just for customization - I like being in control, I love the development I love the communities that are out there for windows mobile
In many regards, I see windows like something akin to linux. Sure it can be ugly, but with a ui change, you really begin to see how powerful linux is (when not in black/white land of command prompt)
I think that is my reason for being loyal to windows
It gives me what I want. And now with zenonia, I am a happy dappy camper

fixxxer2012 10-12-2009 05:46 PM

ill be jumping the winmo ship and going to the hero in just a few weeks myself. we shall see if wm7 brings me back or not?

ObsoleteE 10-12-2009 05:52 PM

I never even thought of getting an Android phone, until yesterday when I was messing around with the Hero at Best Buy. After about 10 minutes, I had to have it. I love the app store. Android seems to run a lot smoother than WM, and is a lot smarter about using the phone's memory. Go to the store and mess with one for a bit.

SporkLover 10-12-2009 10:59 PM

I played with a Hero today. It doesnt seem any more responsive than other current gen WM phones I played with

smoove21 10-13-2009 11:34 AM

we need to get more people to this thread..I get the feeling that more and more of us are doubting windows and microsofts ability to innovate.. Please guide more people to this thread.

DavidinCT 10-13-2009 07:19 PM

Well, I started with a PocketPC 1.0 (remember those ?) and have moved up through almost every version from there. I always carried a PDA and cell phone, then moved up to a 6700 to combine them and now a 6800 (I do miss the 4" display from my hx4700).

I will not get a new phone till WM7 phone start coming out, I don't feel there is a reason to change till we get major feature updates in the hardware. Some of the new spec'ed features are what I really want in a phone.

Over the years there has been progress in the version changes, I think the best change so far is in WM 6.5, with finally getting with the program and giving more touch access and not just a stylus.

If 6.5 is a step where we are going then we are going down the right path. I agree with what other people say, system perfomance is going to be huge one as we step down the line. I got a chance to play with the new iPhone for a while and as I was not nuts over the interface, it was really fast, I've never over the years seen a WM device run as fast as it.

If WM7 is scheduled for Spring 2010, then I will be disapointed. You can not re-do a whole OS in 6-8 months, it is sounding like it might be rushed out the door and that would make it a bad thing....

Noir 10-14-2009 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SporkLover (Post 1233213)
I played with a Hero today. It doesnt seem any more responsive than other current gen WM phones I played with

qft!
I prefer 6.5.1 imho

GirlGoneGeek 10-15-2009 12:46 AM

So wideawake and I have been through all the OS's as well. We always stick with our Windows Mobile though.

The Iphone is in my home, only used for games now. It was only activated for a few months......never used for business or personal items

The BB's are in my home, they are used randomly.

Windows mobile is all over my home, in boxes, on shelves and activated on our lines. hehe We love our Windows mobile.

Just throwing my opinion out there. Oh and yeah, if something new came out, we'd probly get it. I do now want the Android OS!!! hehe

smoove21 10-16-2009 12:25 AM

Which OS Interests You Most?

Ok first off I love sprint and pocket pcs..yet I must admit that windows mobile has turned me off. However this isn't a thread to bash them. I enjoyed the freedom and the many ways to customise the OS. The problem was that it would become old and in all honesty, the only things we were changing was the outter shell. At its core windows still is outdated and isn't really finger friendly.Either way I switched to a pre recently and with the hero being released today,the storm 2, bold 2 and even though I dislike apple, I have to give respect to the iphone.... All out or soon to be out on the market, is there anyone that has stuck with windows mobile(phone), that's has thought or is thinking of switching to a new OS? Be honest the temptation has to be there. This thread is solely for discussion as I'm interested in the thoughts and opinions of my peers. So if you've chose to stay or leave windows,please list your reasons why or why not...

mlin 10-16-2009 12:31 AM

Re: Which OS Interests You Most?

Didn't you already post this exact same thread with a different title?

rafyrod 10-16-2009 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlin (Post 1239463)
Didn't you already post this exact same thread with a different title?

yup, i saw it at another thread too..

but here it goes:

is a no brainer, Windows Mobile, I mean Windows Phone....

BenC 10-16-2009 12:45 AM

Anything that provides compatibility with Word, Excel and similar applications.

correct 10-16-2009 01:08 AM

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile Pro Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2

smoove21 10-16-2009 01:34 AM

yes(mostly) but it will get more exposure here (even if its in the wrong thread) though I'm sure it will be moved eventually. Also the title is more understandable as to what the thread is about.. Plus a poll was added. All those that already spoke/voted on this matter I thank you. Hopefully this thread helps those that are new to any of these OS's...in getting a better understanding of them and helps in making a decision as to which OS is right for them..

mlin 10-16-2009 01:52 AM

I am most interested to see what happens with WinMo 7. If that doesn't do so well, I would say Android. I have a Palm Pre, iPhone 3G, and a Diamond. Unfortunately, I don't think the Pre will even get the market share to be substantial; its a shame too because its an awesome device., I just dont think it can beat out Android...

danny6514 10-16-2009 02:21 AM

it would be rather odd if Windows Phone doesn't win this one...

smoove21 10-16-2009 02:32 AM

actually it won't...simply because most of us have or has had windows phones..most have pushed windows as far as it can go in its current state.. More than likely android will win.

Aleki 10-16-2009 02:41 AM

Im slightly biased towards the WM platform, only because its the one I have had the most exposure with. I like the features it comes with out of the box, and the myphone app has become something i'd be hard pressed to give up.

Although with the growing interest for smartphones, WM has alot of catching up to do if it is to compete with android.

oldpueblo 10-16-2009 03:29 AM

I don't get why people say it's outdated. Why is it outdated? Because it hasn't gone through massive overhauls and doesn't look amazingly different than before? Here's a surprise, it's been great all this time. Sure some phones didn't implement it well, sometimes the hardware is funky, but the OS itself has been powerfull and flexible since the beginning. I just don't get "outdated." What can it not do that other phone OS's, some of which are brand new by the way, can't?

Kamokazi 10-16-2009 08:39 AM

Why not Android 2.0 Eclair?

Dragon2 10-16-2009 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldpueblo (Post 1239782)
I don't get why people say it's outdated. Why is it outdated? Because it hasn't gone through massive overhauls and doesn't look amazingly different than before? Here's a surprise, it's been great all this time. Sure some phones didn't implement it well, sometimes the hardware is funky, but the OS itself has been powerfull and flexible since the beginning. I just don't get "outdated." What can it not do that other phone OS's, some of which are brand new by the way, can't?

I dont get it either, aint a OS out that can do as much as Winmo......

Palm pre for that fact, no video camera????

I know thats not OS but damn, what about upload and download, winmo beats them hands down..

can other OS' download rapidshare or any other files.... didnt some just get MMS....lol

Windows Wins hands down, oh no its not new like android, but it will do more....

Noir 10-16-2009 09:59 AM

windows mobile 6.5.1 has been an interest of mine since we began seeing things about the os
but a close second is webos...that's a demon right there!

mobilevader 10-16-2009 10:26 AM

Microsoft often has "breakout" products that simply go above what it has done previosly. Think Win 2k... I think (hope?) win mob 7 is going to be on that level... that is what I'm interested in right now...

All this other stuff is fluff... but out of the list Android has a much better change of "being around" in three years vs. palm. BB is a business device, so it will be around (matter of fact, I also carry a BB daily). Soon as iphone gets off att it will also grow again in popularity. I will note that Android with the google OS is going to be an interesting combination...

Best thing for us Winmob lovers is competition... ms does its best work in the face of adversity (ie win 7 after launching that disaster vista).

migz1134 10-16-2009 10:53 AM

WinMo 7 is my pick

budney 10-16-2009 11:48 AM

Thread moved to proper forum! ;)

NinjaMom 10-16-2009 12:38 PM

Duplicate threads merged.

wmdunn 10-16-2009 02:15 PM

None of the above ... hoping for Windows Mobile 7 to be released sooner rather than later.

MrObvious 10-16-2009 02:25 PM

I voted for Android because the Hero seemed cool when I played with it for like 5 minutes. But overall I think WM 6.5 (.1 for me right now) is a cool OS and with 7 around the corner we shall see it emerge into something cool. Some of the minute changes they are doing in redesigning a few things like the contacts and stuff and the Start Menu are a step in the right direction and if they can get some more UI changes implemented it will be sweet.

spiritcrusher33 10-16-2009 04:36 PM

well my mind has changed..for the moment..i sold my diamond and got a pre..so far im very impressed with all the stuff thats changed since i had one a few months back..my plan is stick with the pre til march when im due for a upgrade.. then see whats out there in sprint land.. but right now taking a much needed break from windows til march..

smoove21 10-16-2009 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kamokazi (Post 1239963)
Why not Android 2.0 Eclair?

as far as I know there hasn't been an official release yet..I thought of including it but I was trying to include only OS's that we(end user) have access to.

MikeElGiga23 10-16-2009 09:20 PM

I went from windows to android and im happy i did. I was getting the feeling of it from when i ran it on my vogue. Its just as custimizable as winmo and also supports rom flashing as well, in a smoother more fluid package. Market is awesome and lots of the apps really get the hardware involved like metal detector, argumented reality browser, barcode scanner, etc. Plus it has everything i needed from winmo in some shape or form and then some. Id make sure id get htc's version for senseui as well as better browser, pics facebook integration, music, email, sms, etc. Etc. etc

Looks like a winner for me

highwayman1224 10-24-2009 02:55 PM

I went from wm to webOS to android. Loving android. I just tried out that metel detector app, & its pretty cool, lol.

bimzrus 10-24-2009 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoove21 (Post 1230432)

I have to agree I love my mogul, touch pro but no because of the OS but the the stuff I could do to it.

I now have a Hero .... and honestly say there is no such thing as a perfect phone. We get caught up in this whole best OS, when in all actuality all we want to do is hack, mod, hack or phones.

As it stands I right now the Hero seems to me to be a bit more restricted than my previous phones but thats due to it being a new os