PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2009, 04:19 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Mogul and Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

crazychef is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcrazychef is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcrazychef is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via MSN to crazychef Send a message via Skype™ to crazychef
Re: Warez Vs. Tethering

str8 from your TOS http://www.telusmobility.com/about/m...t_policy.shtml

5.Use of the serviceYou will use the service in compliance with law and with service rules adopted by TELUS from time to time, including safe driving and health and safety guidelines. You will use the service for customary voice, messaging and wireless Internet data purposes only. You will not use the service for: multi-media streaming; voice over Internet protocol; or any other application which uses excessive network capacity or may otherwise adversely impact other users, that is not made available to you by TELUS. You will not resell the service to any other person. You will not abuse any flat rate or unlimited use service plan offered by TELUS. You will not use the service to operate an e-mail, web, news or other similar service

Its was all there in black and white man..
"Lose?..I Dont Lose!.....I Win.....I Win.....Im a Lawyer, Thats My Job and Thats What I Do" -Keanu Reeves "Devils Advocate"
Old 02-23-2009, 04:37 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: SGH-T959D leaked 'Official' froyo
Carrier: Telus

Rabid_Gypsy knows their stuffRabid_Gypsy knows their stuffRabid_Gypsy knows their stuffRabid_Gypsy knows their stuffRabid_Gypsy knows their stuffRabid_Gypsy knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazychef View Post
str8 from your TOS http://www.telusmobility.com/about/m...t_policy.shtml

5.Use of the serviceYou will use the service in compliance with law and with service rules adopted by TELUS from time to time, including safe driving and health and safety guidelines. You will use the service for customary voice, messaging and wireless Internet data purposes only. You will not use the service for: multi-media streaming; voice over Internet protocol; or any other application which uses excessive network capacity or may otherwise adversely impact other users, that is not made available to you by TELUS. You will not resell the service to any other person. You will not abuse any flat rate or unlimited use service plan offered by TELUS. You will not use the service to operate an e-mail, web, news or other similar service

Its was all there in black and white man..
So...... What are you pointing out? I have not abused anything and I used a service that was provided. Tethering is a feature of my phone, I was sure that it cost extra, but the salesperson told me otherwise. When I tether I use very little bandwidth, much less than what I use in day to day use of my phone. I checked a couple of RV campground websites, because they weren't working proper on my phone, uploaded a mostly text blog and have downloaded a couple dozen torrent files (not the actual ones, just the metadata file) over the past year.

ROM: DarkRoot
Old 02-23-2009, 04:51 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

crazychef is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcrazychef is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcrazychef is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid_Gypsy View Post
So...... What are you pointing out? I have not abused anything and I used a service that was provided. Tethering is a feature of my phone, I was sure that it cost extra, but the salesperson told me otherwise. When I tether I use very little bandwidth, much less than what I use in day to day use of my phone. I checked a couple of RV campground websites, because they weren't working proper on my phone, uploaded a mostly text blog and have downloaded a couple dozen torrent files (not the actual ones, just the metadata file) over the past year.
the usage amount holds no weight, and is rather irrelevant to the topic at hand... your TOS is any carriers Legal and Offical stand on any subject matter.. a salesperson was wrong and you knew it ahead of time.. their website clearly states you need a seperate plan as well, so even though the rep misinformed you, the real details are avaiable to you if you wouldve looked..

winmo 6.+ offers TETHER SUPPORT, not Tether SERVICE( ill throw the link in a sec, and an ANTI-MY ARGUMENT person posted this in his favor, and this proves him wrong as well)....some phones AND WinMO are tether SUPPORTED, that means with your carriers added service, the phone can be used in this fashion... it means CAPABLE OF... doesnt mean INCLUDED...

i dont even know why i am aruging with you.. you openly admitted you knew you were mislead.. so u knew u were stealing services that were suppose to be paid for.. so in fact you mislead the rep(into thinking you didnt know the truth), before he mislead you
Old 02-23-2009, 04:58 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

heres the link http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb158534.aspx but if u dont wanna go, here u are..

Internet Sharing
The current Modem Link application is used to share a cellular connection with a PC/laptop. New NDIS-based radios cannot use the protocol that is used by Modem Link. Therefore, a new application, Internet Sharing, is now available. The following features included:
  • USB tethering or Microsoft Bluetooth stack support.
  • Connection sharing so that a mobile device and a remote device that is connected to the mobile device can share the connection to the Internet.
  • Radio features such as suspend/resume and simultaneous voice and data can be used.
Partner Requirements: The USB interface requires an INF file similar to the one that is used for Modem Link today. This INF file requires a unique ID to differentiate it from the ActiveSync USB connection. This application is an optional packag

the first highlighted part means that the supported tech/software is there, but its not complete on theor end, more is needed from somewhere else..

the second part means your carrier may or may not choose to set up an additional package u may need to use these services... and as weve seen/posted Telus and Sprint REquire this "optional package", as stated in bth cariers TOS

so this is MS, IN THEIR WORDS, stating they support THE CARRIERS RIGHTS, and include this in MS' own software statments..

Last edited by crazychef; 02-23-2009 at 05:02 AM.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:08 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

if some rookie cop told me, i could shoot somebody in my home thats robbing me and get away with.. and i did in fact shoot an intruder, it doesnt matter what the cop told me, it wasnt the right answer.. ill still goto jail..

FYI- MI has very strict laws about this situation and certain critera have to be in play before ur able to shoot an inruder.. but in say TX, where they have the "MAKE MY DAY LAW"-no joke thats what its called. you can shoot an intruder/robber no questions asked as long as their INSIDE the home...

im just showing relevance.. Someone giving you misguided info, that u already knew/or didnt know to be false(but in ur case YOU DID KNOW), doesnt justify, you malicious and intentional abuse of services..
Old 02-23-2009, 05:26 AM
Halfway to VIP Status

Rabid_Gypsy knows their stuffRabid_Gypsy knows their stuffRabid_Gypsy knows their stuffRabid_Gypsy knows their stuffRabid_Gypsy knows their stuffRabid_Gypsy knows their stuff

OK, I see where you are coming from, but 1) If Telus ships the software on the phone and gives you instructions on how to use it, it is not warez. I understand that you may make the argument that ICS was not the program and WModem is, but I used WModem for over a month without a problem doing the same thing. 2) I am of the mind that Telus should be responsible for their dealers actions and if they want to lie to get a sale, then so be it. I think i'll be able sleep knowing that you think I'm a thief and a liar, you are admittedly one and most likely have been or will be the other at some point in time, after all you are on the way to being a lawyer, right?
Old 02-23-2009, 06:14 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

i openly use this yes, and im not asking anyone not to.. my case is for removing current and banning future discussion because in fact its wrong and we are "cracking" software to get it to work in our favor
Old 02-23-2009, 06:29 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Temp TP2 until the 3D

No1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIP
Send a message via MSN to No1ustad

i agree with chef...

we're pretty much providing directions for piggybacking our laptops onto our carriers networks through our phones, and hiding it from 'em. it's not a matter of whether or not a carrier cares cause we're still under the limit, it's a matter of what we're doing.

if i buy One 20 oz coke container w/ unlim refills @ mcdonalds and i have 8 friends with me, and we all just fill up outta that one container and pour it into our own glasses, essentially piggybacking via the 20 oz coke cup, it's still wrong.

iduno, fits the definition of warez to me. although I've purchased pdanet, and use wmwifirouter, this is just about what category it belongs in.

Mogul -> Vogue -> TP -> TP2 -> Snap -> Evo -> 3D
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:37 AM
Halfway to VIP Status

So, does WModem work differently than ics? I haven't used WModem in almost a year, but I thought it was the same interface as ics. Is there a different protocol or something that makes ics undetectable to carriers? I only ask this because if Telus is able to detect it and just going to bill for use, does that not validate the program? If only for Telus subscribers? Not trying to fight, just trying to understand.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:51 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid_Gypsy View Post
So, does WModem work differently than ics? I haven't used WModem in almost a year, but I thought it was the same interface as ics. Is there a different protocol or something that makes ics undetectable to carriers? I only ask this because if Telus is able to detect it and just going to bill for use, does that not validate the program? If only for Telus subscribers? Not trying to fight, just trying to understand.
if telus is charging you, it makes everything ok, thats the point.. paid software, ShareWare, for free..warez
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions