PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2008, 09:11 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: IPAQ hw6945 Messenger
Carrier: Cincinnati Bell Wireless

eeyorecrew is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thumbs down push email?

Hi!

I realize this is a pretty general question, but this is also a general forum lol.

Could someone explain push email to me?

My email need is to be able to receive my POP mail on my smartphone. If I understand this push mail thing correctly, can THAT mail be automatically sent to my phone? Is that what push email is?

Thanks for your help!!
Sean
Old 01-08-2008, 11:38 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: XV6700
Carrier: Verizon

TMB_XV6700 is just getting started
Sean,
You can learn more using the Search function at the top of the screen. Also search for "direct push" on google.

As designed, "direct push" email involves syncing your device with a Microsoft Exchange server. The server and the device maintain a continuous (but mostly dormant) data connection over the cell network, and the server sends new emails to the device as they are received.
You don't get direct push with a POP account (although you can simulate it with some 3rd party software). Instead, you get your email in the traditional "pull" method, where your device checks the server mailbox and downloads all the mail that's in it. You can easily automate this by setting up the email account(s) on your device to check for new mail at regular intervals.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:22 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: IPAQ hw6945 Messenger
Carrier: Cincinnati Bell Wireless
Threadstarter

eeyorecrew is a n00b
I'm trying to set up wireless synch right now, so that I can at least wirelessly get my POP mail. However, I'm unable to find my exchange server address that I need.
I've tried:
//SSID/Computer/User, and variations thereof, but with no success.
Can you help me?
Thanks so much for your time ;>)
Old 01-09-2008, 06:51 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Htc Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

rickyboy is a n00b
Push Email

I highly recommend you check out www.mail2web.com .They give you a free 2003 microsoft exchange server and if you prefer to pay.You can use an 07 server.Good with any email account.Just sign up and enjoy.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:09 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: XV6700
Carrier: Verizon

TMB_XV6700 is just getting started
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyorecrew View Post
I'm trying to set up wireless synch right now, so that I can at least wirelessly get my POP mail. However, I'm unable to find my exchange server address that I need.
I've tried:
//SSID/Computer/User, and variations thereof, but with no success.
Can you help me?
Thanks so much for your time ;>)
Sean,
To set up a POP account on your device, start in the Outlook E-mail application (sometimes called Messaging or Inbox). Go to Menu/Tools/New Account and enter your POP email address. The software will then attempt to automatically configure your account, but you may have to click through and manually enter server addresses, user name, and password. You will need to know all these from your desktop setup. At the end, you will be asked to schedule your downloads. Then the mail application will examine the messages in the POP mailbox and download those that are marked as new (i.e. not downloaded already to another computer.)

Comment: Downloading messages from a POP server is NOT "wireless sync" and in fact is the opposite of synchronization. It's a bare-minimum way to get your POP email on your device. The device and whatever other computer(s) you use to check POP email will remain separate and unconnected. Most people who want continuous and seamless communication whether using the device or other computers will opt for [an alternate method, including rickyboy's suggestion.]
A good link for info: http://www.pocketpcmag.com/_archives/feb06/email.aspx

Good luck. Please post back your experience. tmb

Last edited by TMB_XV6700; 01-09-2008 at 11:22 AM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions