PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   General iPhone Discussions (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Why does everyone hate the iphone? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=76395)

denisk 09-30-2009 08:04 PM

Re: Why does everyone hate the iphone?

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaPeeps (Post 1198967)
Sorry if that last post sounded arrogant or snooty....didnt mean it to. Its just early in the morning :)

Counter-point: Can't install mac osx on normal computers.
Has nothing to do with iPhone, but another reason to not buy Apple. (but then again iPhone runs mac os)

And im pretty sure windows wont do the same thing by restricting stuff...One company offers you whatever device you want, the other only has their own devices, and you can only use their devices... Im pretty sure Apple will always end up being the that wants all the $$$ to themselves.

drift365 09-30-2009 09:11 PM

Microsoft is still a business and wants to keep as much of the profits as possible. you CAN install mac OS X on any pc with an intel processor! I installed it on my family desktop in a virtual machine and it worked.

MordyT 10-01-2009 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denisk (Post 1193917)
Why I dont like the iPhone:
-The company is named after a fruit, so having their products means your a fruit too haha. Also, fruits rot.

BEST. POST. EVER. LOL
anyways, I am buying an iPhone cause i heard Apple invented this really cool thing...you can send a picture message. Thank God Apple came along in 2009 and invented that. I wonder if they will invent tethering next. I will buy that model ASAP!

mlin 10-01-2009 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drift365 (Post 1205553)
Microsoft is still a business and wants to keep as much of the profits as possible. you CAN install mac OS X on any pc with an intel processor! I installed it on my family desktop in a virtual machine and it worked.

To get a fully functional primary install of OS X on a PC is damn near impossible and takes a lot of hacking and time. Virtual machines aren't quite the same but its a descent substitute.

On another note, Apple is a proprietary company whose focus is on hardware. Thats the reason OS X is rather inexpensive when compared to Windows. Apple knows you need their machines to run their OS so they don't care if you get it for 40 bucks.

Their focuses are entirely different from Microsoft's. One thing that greatly benefits the iPhone is the same thing that has really hampered WinMo and that is proprietership. With so many devices running WinMo with little to no minimum standards, consistency and stability is garbage. Also, only having a single device makes developing and releasing updates a breeze. The same thing is happening with the Palm Pre, updates galore! MS knows this and their restrictions and requirements for WInMo 7 will help, we'll see how much.

Quite honestly, I think the iPhone is a sweet device and there are basically three reasons why I don't own 1.
1) I'm not a big fan of Apple
2) Though I've never owned one, I have spent a fair amount of times with iPhones. While they are quite stable, fast, and gimmicky, I get a little bored with them. Just not the device for me I suppose.
3)AT&T is way too expensive. My wife and I would have to pay at least $80 more a month for AT&T over our total Sprint cost including insurance for both devices. That would be for a plan not quite comparable to what we have at Sprint. Also, AT&T kinda sucks...

My 2 cents; kinda long, my bad.

Shaska 10-05-2009 03:00 PM

To me, I see the iPhone as the worlds smartest dumbphone... The key feature (IMHO) that makes a smart phone, smart, is the end user's ability to change and customize things the way he or she wants with minimal effort. This is not the iPhone out of the box. Granted, You can jailbreak to change a theme, But really, Who likes voiding their warranties just to change a theme... Apple has a problem with never wanting people to muck up their ideas of perfection. but the thing they forget is that they THEMSELVES mucked up someome else's idea of perfection too when they started building the first apple PC.

The ability to tweak, customize, change, and NOT void your warranty by doing it. Is the key requirement for a phone to get "Smartphone" status in my books.

(Look at phones for sale today and see what I mean. Just about every dumbphone can change its wallpaper, But how many can change entire themes, or allow custom created ones to be installed. Can't say I've seen many.)

Mr. X 10-05-2009 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlin (Post 1206132)
To get a fully functional primary install of OS X on a PC is damn near impossible and takes a lot of hacking and time.

I have 100% functional 10.5 install on my Dell Laptop. and it didn't take no time at all.

mlin 10-05-2009 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juggalo_X (Post 1215391)
I have 100% functional 10.5 install on my Dell Laptop. and it didn't take no time at all.

You did this without applying any patches? Everything worked immediately following install? Which Dell do you have and which processor?

drift365 10-05-2009 04:18 PM

Normally you dont need a patch to install OS X. Im getting a 5 year old dell that will be able to run leopard with minimal problems. You just need to make sure that you have an intel based processor otherwise you WILL need that patch.

Shaska: when customizing a winmo phone you still need to download and install things to get it to work. jailbreaking is just one more download.

Genjinaro 10-05-2009 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drift365 (Post 1215530)
Shaska: when customizing a winmo phone you still need to download and install things to get it to work. jailbreaking is just one more download.

Of course, Windows Mobile can go as far as bending the firmware & OS. Jailbraking on the iPhone is pretty much just loosening up restrictions. Not nearly as extensive as what goes on with Windows Mobile customizations.

Mr. X 10-05-2009 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlin (Post 1215410)
You did this without applying any patches? Everything worked immediately following install? Which Dell do you have and which processor?

I have an XPS m1710, i installed my OSX, then i rant a Driver/kernel update pkg for my laptop model, and re-registered the kext files and rebooted and bam it was done. it took 15 min after install was done. Got a C2D 2.6gHZ, 4 GIG 800 ddr2, 250 gb hdd, and a Nvidia 7950GTX in it. Bluetooth and wifi work, sound, sleep, Quartz extreme and Quartz GL all work. it works flawless. i found some users with the same laptop on a forum i found on google and they had already packaged everything i needed.