PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > iPhone > General iPhone Discussions

Notices

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 05:39 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG v10
Carrier: T-mobile

clockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question [Q] Best replacement, cracked AT&T GSM iphone 4 LCD/assembly?

I am new to the iphone, never having owned one previously.

I have had a few friends ask me to take a look at theirs here and there. This week a friend asked if I knew how to replace the broken glass. So I decided to take a look at what that entails.

Well I went through the normal channels, craigslist, ebay, amazon, but again being new, I've not had the years of experience as I have with other devices.
The iphone belonging to a lets say, more finicky / picky crowd. I saw lots of claims of OEM, Original, Authentic, Genuine, which instantly put me at the defensive. Like when someone says "trust me"...

I thought, well let me ask the community.

Where can I get a decent replacement complete LCD assembly, preferably with a genuine retina or perhaps better display, if it exsists, at a reasonable price?
Doesn't necessarily have to A grade, B with some wear, lines would work if more savings can be made. As well as a replacement back.

Color like those metallic, mirror would be nice, but not sure those even have retina display as an option.

I have only seen a few comparisons on Amazon user pictures showing quite a difference in brightness, contrast and quality. But you never know what you get and from which vendor came what on there.

Any suggestions, links, info, reviews to help, would be greatly appreciated.

-CC
Old 01-23-2012, 10:15 AM
Gettin' Freaky With It
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S5/iPad Air 2
Carrier: Big Red

rainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to rainfreak
Re: [Q] Best replacement, cracked AT&T GSM iphone 4 LCD/assembly?

I have bought an iPhone 4 and iPod Touch (latest generation) screen on eBay and both times got exactly what was ordered. I don't think either order was more than about $50 and they usually come with the tools needed to perform the work. Often times they also have a link to a web site where you can see a good tutorial on how to do it.

I will warn you though, it can be much trickier than you think to replace the screen on an iPhone. I know a few people who tried and ultimately sent them out for repair. Sending it out, the only place that I would recommend is brokemyiphone.com. I have never heard of them doing bad work and they often give away free repair work on 9to5mac.com.

You can also take them to a local Apple store to have them done. But if you want to try it yourself, buy the part from eBay and just settle down for some good reading online to get it done. Good luck.

PPCGeeks > iPhone > General iPhone Discussions

Tags
broken screen, iphone 4, lcd screen, replacement parts