PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2011, 11:07 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: 2032/6700/6800/Arrive/Samsung Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

TexasAggie97 is keeping up the good workTexasAggie97 is keeping up the good workTexasAggie97 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Wink Good CNET Rant on Android

I found this article spot-on based on my loooooong wait (still waiting) for the Gingerbread update on my Epic 4G.

Dear Android: This is your last chance
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:19 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Re: Good CNET Rant on Android

alot of those CBS interactive site articles seem to be attacking android alot lately.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:47 PM
OMJ
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC 10!!!!!

OMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

a good rant? hardly....more like a long winded whiny session.

I like how she blames it all on Android (Google) for her Droid X issues....you can't hold the OS responsible for manufacturer issues.

I find it funny all her bitching about timely updates....please....go get an iPhone, see how many updates you get.....for FREE, oh wait, no you have to buy the next version iPhone for updates.

the only useful bit of info was BUY HTC for the best support!
Old 10-31-2011, 04:07 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Thunderbolt
Carrier: Verizon

Grand Prix is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

You know what I took away from that article, if you're buying android get an HTC or nexus device...
Old 11-02-2011, 09:36 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: 2032/6700/6800/Arrive/Samsung Epic 4G
Threadstarter

TexasAggie97 is keeping up the good workTexasAggie97 is keeping up the good workTexasAggie97 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

Unfortunately, HTC or Nexus is the way to go for updates. Samsung has yet to release Gingerbread for the Epic 4G!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:49 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasAggie97 View Post
Unfortunately, HTC or Nexus is the way to go for updates. Samsung has yet to release Gingerbread for the Epic 4G!
yea it really looks like that's not going to happen. Especially with the GSII now out and ICS about to come out.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:53 PM
#1 troll!
Pocket PC: Moto G5 Plus
Carrier: AT&T aka deathstar

fixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.7; en-us; Incredible 2 Build/GRI40; liquid.vivow.20111101.14572 AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Ill always buy htc from now on. Nexus or not samsung sucks on support and updates.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:53 PM
#1 troll!
Pocket PC: Moto G5 Plus
Carrier: AT&T aka deathstar

fixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.7; en-us; Incredible 2 Build/GRI40; liquid.vivow.20111101.14572 AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12341
alot of those CBS interactive site articles seem to be attacking android alot lately.
And i bet your happy about that.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:30 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Nexus S 4G

Merovingian is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMJ View Post
a good rant? hardly....more like a long winded whiny session.

I like how she blames it all on Android (Google) for her Droid X issues....you can't hold the OS responsible for manufacturer issues.

I find it funny all her bitching about timely updates....please....go get an iPhone, see how many updates you get.....for FREE, oh wait, no you have to buy the next version iPhone for updates.

the only useful bit of info was BUY HTC for the best support!
Don't know if I should take you seriously or assume you drank too much fluoride or not enough... The 3gs from eons ago (in today's tech life span) is still getting updates, yet the Epic from last year gets nothing, and you still found an oppourtunity to throw a dig at Apple..?!

Sent from my Nexus S 4G
Old 11-03-2011, 05:38 AM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Personally I find it hard to take seriously any article that uses Fragmentation and user attack as a bases.

First of all, fragmentation is a myth. It does not exist, so what that each phone is running a different version of Android. Do they even know what the difference is? most people don't. Sure it is nice to have updates, I am not arguing. But the people that care makes up 1% of the users max. And in terms of apps, if you bought a top end device 99% of the apps usually would work for 2 years easily. Most programmers including myself do not use the latest API unless we really have to anyways, its something that comes naturally in development.

And user attacks effect all platforms, you can wall garden a user all you want it won't help, there is a saying:

"If you make something idiot proof, someone out there will go make a better idiot"

I know not everyone is technologically advanced and all, but you have to have at least a certain amount of knowledge.

As long as the carriers have control of everything, I doubt faster updates will come, as proof the Samsung Galaxy S was the first one with gingerbread a month ahead of everyone else. The second fastest was Motorola with the Droid X.

Personally based on trend the fastest phone that will get upgrades is:

1) The phone based on the Nexus
2) Verizon Motorola Droid series
3) HTC (if they did not make the nexus)

in that order..

The problem is most news networks have 0 clue what they are talking about, they assume that the moment an update comes to a Nexus device every other device is outdated. This is not the case, if we were to compare Android with iOS and WP7. Release of a Nexus device is equivalent to when microsoft sends out developer phones and apple launches iOS betas. Yes, Nexus is running a BETA OS!!!! and I find it sad that most people don't realize this.

Now I know most people are going, WTH how can you say thing, who releases BETA software to the public? Well thing is Betas are usually pretty stable and have all features working. If you ever tried FireFox beta for example, I never had any issues using it and prefer it over final.

And look at this statement from Apple:

"Siri is available in Beta only on iPhone 4S and requires Internet access."

And thats exactly what the Nexus device is. You get Final version 3 - 4 months after the Nexus device came out.

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)

PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion

Tags
android, epic, gingerbread, icecream sandwich, samsung