PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2010, 11:55 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Epic
Carrier: Sprint

sureshot007 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Did you switch from WM? What do you think?

So I've been with Windows Mobile since my HTC Apache, and now my TP2 is feeling a bit outdated. With the lack of a comparable WM phone for Sprint on the horizon, I've been considering an Android phone (possibly the Epic). I just want to hear about what people's reactions were when they made the switch from WM to Android. What did you love, what did you hate, what do you miss from WM?

(I didn't try searching for this, I just browsed through the last 6-7 months of threads in this forum and didn't see anything related. Seeing as I wanted something a little more up-to-date, I figured I'd start a new thread. My apologies if this is a topic that has been beaten to death)
Old 12-09-2010, 12:08 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Vibrant galaxy s
Carrier: T-Mobile

argentinito is becoming a great contributor
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I switch from my htc imagio window 6.5 runnin manilla 5.0 or something like that i love it but evo show up so i end contract with verizon n. Go for sprint n man believe android kill window.. now im about to end contract with sprint n go to t-mobile n get the nexus s.. lol me n phone damn it
Old 12-09-2010, 12:27 PM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed
Re: Did you switch from WM? What do you think?

I havent made a full switch yet... but i use XDAndroid daily and play with my gfs Optimus S often as well...

For the most part, I dont see whats not to like about Android for the "average" user... its rather simple, menus arent very fancy, and apps are readily available to find..

For me though, an avid Tweaker and winMO user, i miss being able to do things myself... I miss a Registry and being able to edit it to achieve things...

Everyone claims Android is superior for customization, but you need to ROOT or a 3rd party app just to do some very basic things(ie mp3 ringtones, tether, change the theme)... But let me say this, stock Android is still very, very well-working... we had a small discussion about that in the Podcast last week even...

All-in-all, you may miss reg hacks and some utility apps, but most everything on winMO is on Android, and theres plenty for android not on winMO, to make you forget about ti quickly.... espically if your into Games..

If youve been looking forward to Android, then you probably wont be dissappointed in the least... my gf has never had winMO or anythhing better than a very basic phone.. got her an Optimus and she thinks its the best thing since sliced bread
Old 12-09-2010, 12:31 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

That's what I'm worried about. I hack the crap out of my phone, and I fear that I might miss the ability to do that. However, it's because WM is terrible out of the box that I have to hack my phone to begin with...
Old 12-09-2010, 12:36 PM
The Dyslexic VIP

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

oh and AD's.... I hope you like ads.... people can say whatever they want about them not being in the way, but in the end they really serve no purpose... phones ran just fine all these years, companies flourished financially just fine - without ADs in apps....

Thats by far one of things stopping me from Full Time Android use..
Old 12-09-2010, 12:37 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Ads in the apps? Really?
Old 12-09-2010, 01:34 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

@-bored... u r so wrong man look for theme is so easy u have a lot home launcher on the market ADW launcher, GDE launcher., launcher pro, ahime launcher.. those r launcher that change ur home set up n then go to the market n search for ADW theme n boom thousand of theme, i make ringtones, screenshot

My set up... dude android kill window
Old 12-09-2010, 03:07 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: TP2 & EVO

BenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuff

I made the switch from a Touch Pro 2 to an Evo. The switch resulted in my extreme dislike for the default on-screen keyboard and its Bluefart implementation. Having to turn a device off/on once a day to ensure proper operation of the Bluefart implementation is just plain unacceptable. I purchased a replacement keyboard and yesterday received my Swype invitation, so at least I now have 2 alternatives to the default on-screen keyboard. With that keyboard I can type 2-3 words a minute! Seriously though, it just plain bites. The way it handles multi-tasking is efficiently a joke. But the device is fast. Sure it is. Would I buy another Evo? No.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:50 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenC
I made the switch from a Touch Pro 2 to an Evo. The switch resulted in my extreme dislike for the default on-screen keyboard and its Bluefart implementation. Having to turn a device off/on once a day to ensure proper operation of the Bluefart implementation is just plain unacceptable. I purchased a replacement keyboard and yesterday received my Swype invitation, so at least I now have 2 alternatives to the default on-screen keyboard. With that keyboard I can type 2-3 words a minute! Seriously though, it just plain bites. The way it handles multi-tasking is efficiently a joke. But the device is fast. Sure it is. Would I buy another Evo? No.
Thats happen when u dont research n read i have like 4 kb swype, stock, htc im, n better kb... theres a lot of kb on the market n if u have to pay for it just go to 4share n download it for free

My keyboard

Pimp
Old 12-09-2010, 04:01 PM
The Dyslexic VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by argentinito View Post

@-bored... u r so wrong man look for theme is so easy u have a lot home launcher on the market ADW launcher, GDE launcher., launcher pro, ahime launcher.. those r launcher that change ur home set up n then go to the market n search for ADW theme n boom thousand of theme, i make ringtones, screenshot

My set up... dude android kill window
you kind of further proved my point... themes seem to be attached to Home Launcher apps... ie therefore if you dont have that launcher, cant use theme.. or must go download and/or pay for launcher then can use the theme... its still not a simple as winMO for themes, thanks for helping me show that... even though that not what you were trying to do..

Quote:
Originally Posted by argentinito View Post

Thats happen when u dont research n read i have like 4 kb swype, stock, htc im, n better kb... theres a lot of kb on the market n if u have to pay for it just go to 4share n download it for free

My keyboard

Pimp
please dont recommend stealing PAID apps.. we dont do that here on PPCG.. is it worth not payin $.99, 1.99, or whatever?? thats what makes people want to stop developing

PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion