PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > CDMA TP2 Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2009, 11:34 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

mrrogers1 is keeping up the good workmrrogers1 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Unhappy Re: RhodiumW CDMA Worldphone HardSPL Unlocker Release

Quote:
Originally Posted by obamaftw08 View Post
its more like donationware moron.
I have to disagree.... I have donated to several projects with the team and donated again for my unlocker and SIM unlocker BUT NO WHERE does it say you have to donate to use the unlocker. It does say PRETTY MUCH EVERYWHERE that donations are appreciated AND it says that the first license for any user is free. It doesn't say ANYWHERE that a donation is required for the HSPL Unlocker.

It's not "more like" anything... it is either freeware or you pay for a license. The gray area we have here is that it's freeware with a licensing process.

Now I have had 2 other people who weren't all that keen to donating just yet (it's their prerogative AND they are new to this unlocking, flashing game) and when I tried to help them, the sequence when like this....

1. Download unlocker
2. Launch exe, get "server unavailable" error 3 times (don't forget the prompt on the error message that says you can donate and get around this particular error)
3. 4th try it connects and says the user has activated a device already, which was false
4. (*this is just for the first user) Send email explaining the issue and wait and wait and wait.
*I just finished trying to help the second user and had this happen so no email or ticket from the support page has been sent yet.

Now I understand CMONEX and OLIPRO have spent countless hours and work on this and the other unlockers we have been graced with, THANK YOU BOTH! but my issue, now that I have seen this same course of events happen to two different people, is that it seems like either the licensing process (admittedly put into place to thwart low down tricksters and schemers from selling on fleaBay and such) is VERY buggy OR it was built this way by design to "encourage" more "donations" for the freeware.

Now, maybe they are swamped with people having issues and just haven't gotten back to them. Maybe the person who is supposed to get back to people about the buggy process is sick, indisposed or something else, but it's a bit discouraging to see this happening with no explanation or official communication from the creators.

I hate to say it but, if it's not freeware, then just charge every person who wants to use it, upfront, and it most likely won't be an issue. If it is freeware (which every bit of communication around it leads most to believe) then there needs to be a better way of resolving issues with the licensing interface. Right now, I think the slow response and weird course of events people see when it fails (maybe I just have bad luck, 2 for 2 as far as failures for people that didn't donate) I think it makes people just not want to donate based on principle. Again, if it's not freeware, just tell everyone, if they don't "expect" it to be free, no one can bit&* and moan about it failing, telling them donate or basically wait who knows how long to get some support.

I'd say it feels like a MIR situation where people are so turned off by the idea, they just wait until something better comes along for less money BUT;

a) The last MIR we all probably dealt with was for our phones and man, that process was painless.
b) There won't be a better or cheaper solution, this IS THE solution...

SO for me, I would personally rather just see them charge for the unlocker and have a solid licensing process in place like other software developers pay for play softward releases, something somewhat like sMMS. I just hate to even see CMONEX and OLIPRO's intentions called into question. This unlocker and their work has ALWAYS been top notch AND that is part of the problem (good problem to have I think), they have been driven to protect that work. I still can't believe some losers were selling their work, that they gave to us all, no strings attached, on fleaBay and effectively f$%^&d it up for the rest of the community.

Well, I'm off to help put in a help ticket on the support page and hopefully we hear back.

Thank you CMONEX and OLIPRO for the Unlocker but please do what you can to clean up the licensing process, it's got issues.

ETA: So I can't remember (way too much in my head) BUT I unlocked basically within hours of the HSPL release and 1. It wasn't a huge deal at all, worked superbly and 2. I don't remember the UI that is now being used. The first time I saw it was with my US carrier SIM Unlocker and then when I tried to help my buddy do his HSPL last week. Not that it matters, but did something change, maybe even the very next day after it was released? Heck, it could be that I just don't remember and that I did donate before unlocking in the first place, but I figured I'd ask.

Last edited by mrrogers1; 11-15-2009 at 01:46 AM. Reason: added ETA
Old 11-15-2009, 12:35 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Telus

Telek is becoming a great contributor
Re: RhodiumW CDMA Worldphone HardSPL Unlocker Release

Just imagine how bad it would have been if they hadn't taken those extra 2 weeks to get the server ready :P
Old 11-15-2009, 01:53 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: htc touch pro 2
Carrier: telus

sta49 is a n00b

where do you see this message? becuase i have been having the same problem as paulbram
Old 11-15-2009, 01:10 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

Siflan is keeping up the good workSiflan is keeping up the good work

So, in trying to unlock my nephew's TP2, I was asked to donated when I got this:

So, I've donated and wonder what happens next?!
Old 11-15-2009, 01:12 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Telus

Telek is becoming a great contributor

What can you tell us about what happened when it failed? Was there any message on the screen, or any other message on the computer? How far did it get in the process?
Old 11-15-2009, 05:01 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

mwrood is keeping up the good workmwrood is keeping up the good workmwrood is keeping up the good work

hello all...ive previously unlocked my touch pro2 but i hard hardware problems from it so verizon sent me a replacement and now i am unable to unlock this device bc it says that ive already unlocked on. i know that this unlocker is not for bulk use but i am only using it on my personal phone. can someone please help me with a second unlocking license...thanks in advance
Old 11-15-2009, 07:01 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Droid X

razorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via Yahoo to razorloves

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwrood View Post
hello all...ive previously unlocked my touch pro2 but i hard hardware problems from it so verizon sent me a replacement and now i am unable to unlock this device bc it says that ive already unlocked on. i know that this unlocker is not for bulk use but i am only using it on my personal phone. can someone please help me with a second unlocking license...thanks in advance
the first paragragh in the first post tells you what to do.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:07 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Droid X

razorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via Yahoo to razorloves

Quote:
Originally Posted by sta49 View Post
phone disconnects from my pc when it goes into the black screen mode then error 260 i think comes up on my pc saying its lost connection with the phone
have you read post #2? there is plenty of troubleshooting steps that will fix the problem you're describing.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:57 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2

muzicman82 is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to muzicman82 Send a message via MSN to muzicman82 Send a message via Yahoo to muzicman82 Send a message via Skype™ to muzicman82

Why am I having to run the unlocker before every ROM flash? I'm using Juicy, and I've had to flash before going to R1, R2, and R3.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:16 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: VZW

Spr0ckEt is keeping up the good workSpr0ckEt is keeping up the good workSpr0ckEt is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to Spr0ckEt Send a message via MSN to Spr0ckEt Send a message via Yahoo to Spr0ckEt

and... htc-unlocks.com is ofline...

Quote:
The page cannot be displayed

The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties...

Cannot find server or DNS Error
Internet Explorer

Phone history: Moto V265 (5), Moto V710 (4), Moto E815 (1), Moto Q (4), Treo 700wx (3), and XV6800 (5), Alltel Touch Pro (5), VZW Touch Pro 2 (2), HTC Incredible (3), HTC Thunderbolt (5), HTC Rezound (5), HTC DNA (4), Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (3)

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > CDMA TP2 Development