PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond > CDMA Diamond Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2008, 01:58 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Telus

leanne is halfway to VIP status based on repleanne is halfway to VIP status based on repleanne is halfway to VIP status based on repleanne is halfway to VIP status based on repleanne is halfway to VIP status based on repleanne is halfway to VIP status based on repleanne is halfway to VIP status based on repleanne is halfway to VIP status based on repleanne is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Juicy vs MSR and Battery Life - Major Differences??

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrooker View Post
I was turning the beam off, but then I started leaving alone when I was trying to fix the battery life (just to try different things).

I tried building my own ROM with the Kitchen (20931) and will see how that goes today. I just need the darn phone to last comfortably throughout the day. Doesn't seem like it should be too much to ask. Earlier Juicy rom's I didn't have this issue. It seemed like the one that added the SDConfig support was where I started having bad battery life.
Just so you know, we've all been having issues with 20931 and Bluetooth......
Old 11-15-2008, 08:22 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Diamond
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

bcrooker is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by leanne View Post
Just so you know, we've all been having issues with 20931 and Bluetooth......
I never use bluetooth, so not a big deal for me. Today seemed to go quite well, about the same as MSR. I have updated my MySettings.cab file to include a number of registry settings as well (ringer, notification selections, etc) so when the phone comes up I am pretty much set.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:40 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: HTC Desire
Carrier: Telus Mobility

MightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation level

So why dont you just stay on MSR? is there any reason for u not to keep the rom and enjoy the long battery life?
Old 11-15-2008, 11:09 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

bcrooker is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymike View Post
So why dont you just stay on MSR? is there any reason for u not to keep the rom and enjoy the long battery life?
That is an option as well - I am an engineer by training, so when I have two things like this with the different behaviors I like to know why.

Both Juicy and MSR are built on the same basic version of the OS (I think) so it just surprised me to see the big difference in battery life. I am actually on vacation right now (Disney World) and was having issues with the battery dying before I left the park, and I wasn't even using the phone for anything other than email.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:10 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: HTC Desire
Carrier: Telus Mobility

MightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation levelMightyMike can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrooker View Post
That is an option as well - I am an engineer by training, so when I have two things like this with the different behaviors I like to know why.

Both Juicy and MSR are built on the same basic version of the OS (I think) so it just surprised me to see the big difference in battery life. I am actually on vacation right now (Disney World) and was having issues with the battery dying before I left the park, and I wasn't even using the phone for anything other than email.

I don't blame you for wanting to know the differences. I am not too sure what differences myself and juicy have in regards to registry edits, although I'm sure they may be very similar, but it may also seem that they are not.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:31 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2 / Blackberry 9700
Carrier: TELUS Mobility

Juicy47 can't get a higher reputation levelJuicy47 can't get a higher reputation levelJuicy47 can't get a higher reputation levelJuicy47 can't get a higher reputation levelJuicy47 can't get a higher reputation levelJuicy47 can't get a higher reputation levelJuicy47 can't get a higher reputation levelJuicy47 can't get a higher reputation levelJuicy47 can't get a higher reputation levelJuicy47 can't get a higher reputation levelJuicy47 can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymike View Post
I don't blame you for wanting to know the differences. I am not too sure what differences myself and juicy have in regards to registry edits, although I'm sure they may be very similar, but it may also seem that they are not.
Doubt there is a single difference in registry.

Think back to your usage on each day. Where you inside a large building or any other areas with spotty coverage for extended periods of time, on the day of poor battery life? This is likely the cause.

As an engineer I'm sure you can appreciate how poor coverage can result in poor battery life, as the handset boosts the signal to achieve an acceptable connection with the nearest tower(s)
Old 11-16-2008, 10:15 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

bcrooker is a n00b

While there may have been times I was in a building with lower signal strength, most of the time we were just walking around. One day we were at Epcot and the only time I ever turned on my phone was when I felt it buzz telling me I had an email. Perhaps it was bad luck. I just know I had two days in a row where the battery progress bar (the large one with 10 segments) was going down 1 bar an hour approximately. I am pretty sure this was with Juicy 3.2.

I was just trying to see if anyone else was having similar experiences. Yesterday my run with a self-cooked 20931 went fairly well, about the same as with MSR.

This post was not to knock Juicy ROM - I know a lot of people are having great battery life from it. It just seemed that I for some reason I wasn't but with MSR I was. Seemed odd.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:07 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: touch diamond
Carrier: sprint

kaos4u2nv is a n00b

I don't know...I'm trying MSR right now since you posted the comment and 3 hours in I am at 70% and I have only used it to set up e-mail, change some settings, and check the weather. I have the same settings as you do with 2 hour email thing. I was using juicy 3.4 before and I can't really see a difference yet. I'll try it for a couple days more and see if I sense anything.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond > CDMA Diamond Development