PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2009, 03:19 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

alex jb is keeping up the good workalex jb is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to alex jb
used TP - good ESN, at risk?

Hi folks,

Yesterday after mutch hassle with the USB port not working for sync, I tried to put my diamond back to shipped ROM to take it to the store and I BRICKED IT

Moving on... I bought my self a TP from e-bay and got the ESN on my account just moments before I bought it.
My question is, should I contact the seller and try to get all trace of the ESN removed from e-bay?
I have heard of scams where people take ESN's from e-bay auctions, activate them on an account without buying the phone, then claim for a replacement the same day, rendering the ESN as bad/fraudulent.

I have the ESN registered to my account now, but I'm still worried about it being out there, should I be?

Looking forward to migrating from the Diamond and having a keyboard
Old 12-03-2009, 07:16 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: SPRINT

DrUnKeN_TiGeR is keeping up the good workDrUnKeN_TiGeR is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to DrUnKeN_TiGeR Send a message via MSN to DrUnKeN_TiGeR Send a message via Yahoo to DrUnKeN_TiGeR
Re: used TP - good ESN, at risk?

i would have had them check the ESN without putting it on ur account try it see what happens

Old 12-04-2009, 05:39 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

fenixjn is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfenixjn is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfenixjn is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfenixjn is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfenixjn is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Well most sellers on ebay will reply to the simple 'Is the ESN clear for activation?' question. If they do not, then that is a big RED flag there. I have bought almost all my phones from ebay and ALWAYS check with the seller about ESN before even bidding on the item, if they reply that it is good and it fails... well I get my money back (paypal claim) and they get a really nasty review from me known as negative feedback. I don't think ebay will allow the seller to edit the page AFTER the sale was completed since they keep it as proof of sale and binding contract support document in case some claim arises.

ROM: DamageControl 3.1.2
Radio: Stock +upgrade (for now)
Old 12-04-2009, 09:54 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixjn View Post
Well most sellers on ebay will reply to the simple 'Is the ESN clear for activation?' question. If they do not, then that is a big RED flag there. I have bought almost all my phones from ebay and ALWAYS check with the seller about ESN before even bidding on the item, if they reply that it is good and it fails... well I get my money back (paypal claim) and they get a really nasty review from me known as negative feedback. I don't think ebay will allow the seller to edit the page AFTER the sale was completed since they keep it as proof of sale and binding contract support document in case some claim arises.
Never thought about the proof of sale angle.
Guess they won't change the listing then.

I went to the sprint store and asked them 'hypothetically' if I were to buy a used phone and activate the good ESN on my account before the actual unit was shipped to me, was there a risk that someone else could see that ESN (like if it was listed in an e-bay auction ) and try to do something unscrupulous with it...
The guy was not 100% sure but seemed quite confident that now the ESNis activated on my account, even though I have not received or programmed the phone yet, that there is no risk other than someone straight cloning the ESN.

I find there is a great variation in Sprint store rep's knowlege though, maybe he's right, who knows.

Old 12-05-2009, 02:18 AM
Retired Moderator
Pocket PC: NULL
Carrier: NULL

[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex jb View Post

The guy was not 100% sure but seemed quite confident that now the ESNis activated on my account, even though I have not received or programmed the phone yet, that there is no risk other than someone straight cloning the ESN.
I agree with the Sprint rep. That ESN can't be activated on someone else's account because now it's tied to your phone number. The only other way would be by cloning
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:41 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Thanks

Just a mtterof UPS deliveing it now, it's sat in a wearhouse in Chicago since last night and not gone out for deliery this morning.

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion