PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2009, 09:28 PM
I see you have a PPC.
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Borged Alltel

MrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Slight Rant: Verizon

Ok I'm just gonna keep this sweet and simple. Basically I am ticked that I got taken over by a new carrier whom I was happy with the old one and don't like the new prices or plans.

The history:

Basically back in 07-08 Verizon was working to jones the FCC for permission to buy Alltel from a group of investors. I had been a loyal Alltel customer and not had one bit of problems from them as a carrier and felt like all my needs were taken care of and I could understand why they did the things they did. Sprint back then sucked for coverage and customer service, and Verizon or the GSM carriers didn't have coverage so that wasn't an option for me anyway.

The FCC approved the buyout except for certain markets and it took the better part of a year for it to completely happen. In that time the customer service felt like it went downhill and Alltel branded phones basically stopped coming (there were a few). For example, they were extending contracts for a year if you did an insurance claim through Asurion which they never used to do before. At least the plans were still cheap and reasonable. Then when the buyout was finished this month, the plans were grandfathered in quite well but now you can't change plans very much except for features.

The rant:

Basically I didn't ask to become a customer of another company, nor did I want to deal with another company. Sure, Verizon has a huge and well established network, but they have crappy plans. I mean for a family share plan I can pay at least ten or twenty dollars more for less minutes it seems like. Plus the Smart Phone charge is $30. Come on! Surely Verizon can give us a break and give us incentive to stay.

What are your thoughts?
Old 10-30-2009, 03:53 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

99accordv6 is halfway to VIP status based on rep99accordv6 is halfway to VIP status based on rep99accordv6 is halfway to VIP status based on rep99accordv6 is halfway to VIP status based on rep99accordv6 is halfway to VIP status based on rep99accordv6 is halfway to VIP status based on rep99accordv6 is halfway to VIP status based on rep99accordv6 is halfway to VIP status based on rep99accordv6 is halfway to VIP status based on rep99accordv6 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

I think it will get better over time but i would give customers a choice of staying or leaving the big a if i were them.

I <3 Android
Old 10-30-2009, 07:47 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Motorola Droid
Carrier: Verizon

Bunsen Honeydew is keeping up the good workBunsen Honeydew is keeping up the good work
Re: Slight Rant: Verizon

I am thinking sprint may be the answer for me. A family plan for the wife and I will basically start at $180 at verizon and $130 at sprint with unlimited messaging. Overall, I will be saving a little by switching to sprint from my Alltel.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:43 PM
I see you have a PPC.
Threadstarter

MrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunsen Honeydew View Post
I am thinking sprint may be the answer for me. A family plan for the wife and I will basically start at $180 at verizon and $130 at sprint with unlimited messaging. Overall, I will be saving a little by switching to sprint from my Alltel.
Yeah. +1 here. I don't need the minutes but it's the fact that I lose the ten Friends and Family numbers if I go to the cheaper plan. The only thing that would convince me to stay is if they get the HD2 and Sprint doesn't.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:51 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Alltel RIP

arbdef is just getting started

I think that most Alltel people feel jaded about this. We went from having a company that actually cared about us to being just a number in the system. An overpriced system. I think that the winner in this conversion will be sprint and cricket where it has markets. Verizon needs to drop it's $30 dollar smartphone charge because all phones will be smart phones in the near future. It needs to lower it's prices and bring back chad
Old 11-01-2009, 03:43 PM
I see you have a PPC.
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbdef View Post
I think that most Alltel people feel jaded about this. We went from having a company that actually cared about us to being just a number in the system. An overpriced system. I think that the winner in this conversion will be sprint and cricket where it has markets. Verizon needs to drop it's $30 dollar smartphone charge because all phones will be smart phones in the near future. It needs to lower it's prices and bring back chad
Yeah I would stay with Verizon if they didn't have the $30 charge or the 5GB limit. Sprint has the 5GB limit though too I guess.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:28 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Alltel RIP

arbdef is just getting started

The fact that you have to get a more expensive plan to get the friends and family also adds another negative to the game. Tmobile is starting to look like an option with their $50 unlimited plan. They are slightly better than cricket
Old 11-02-2009, 06:51 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro/Touch Diamond/BlackBerry Tour 9630

basilray knows their stuffbasilray knows their stuffbasilray knows their stuffbasilray knows their stuffbasilray knows their stuffbasilray knows their stuffbasilray knows their stuff
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

If Sprint's coverage is good...then it's ALMOST a no brainer, at least from a economical point-of-view, especially with AnyTime AnyMobile.

Their CS, has gone through some ups-and-downs, but in the 8 years I have had Sprint, I have never had a real problem.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:44 PM
The PPCG CR Guy!
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

Laos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Laos101

S happens, you need to roll with it and milk your new evil corporate giant for all you can, or move to a TRACFONE
Old 11-02-2009, 10:10 PM
Super Senior VIP Member
Pocket PC: Nexus 6p
Carrier: Att StraightTalk

psycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via MSN to psycho_maniac Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_maniac

yeah i didnt like the merge either. thats why i refused to change my plan when getting a newp hone. i want my night and weekends to start at 7 and i want my 11 my cirlce numbers. also i like my 89.99 plan with 6.99 insurance.

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion