PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2009, 02:52 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: XV6800

vertigoepidemic is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Broadband/Voice cards

Hello all,

Though this is not exactly a PPC question, I think there are some very knowledgable people on this forum that can help clearify this for me.

I've been looking into getting a Sierra Wireless MC5725V mini PCIe card for a UMPC. The V in the model number is very important because that means it's a dual band (data and Voice) card.

I've been getting very inconsistent answers from Verizon techs as to whether or not they will activate the ESN on their network. Most of the answers were "I'm pretty sure we can," or "I'm not quite sure that's possible." Only one tech has told me that this it is "absolutely impossible" to "add" an ESN to the Verizon network. However, though I am inclined to believe him based on his reasoning, I don't think he quite understood my situation.

The MC5725V card I'm looking at is brand new, factory sealed, never been on any network. Completely unclaimed carrier territory.

So I guess my question is: Has anyone had Verizon add an ESN of an unclaimed device?

I realize that people have had phones from other carriers activated on the Verizon network (with limited success). However, this is a completely blank card.

If the answer is (as I expect) NO, are there any Data & Voice mini PCIe (or even USB) cards that will work with Verizon's network?

Thanks!
- VE
Old 06-22-2009, 03:51 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: XV6800
Threadstarter

vertigoepidemic is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Broadband/Voice cards

I have been poking around and have obtained some more information.

It seems there are Verizon specific MC5725V (and MC5727V) cards, as well as a Sprint specific card and a generic model. GSM models start with 8 rather than 5.

There is a catch though... even if you could obtain a card (roughly $150-200), there is an FCC "rating" (that's my understanding) that needs to be aquired.

However, I think this is specifically an FCC rating for the device it will be put into. Not sure though.

Never the less, the Verizon specific cards will work on the Verizon network... as will the Sprint cards. The GSM modules just require a SIM card if I understand correctly.

Any thoughts?

I'm exploring possible suppliers now.

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion