PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2009, 10:39 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

ranmasaotome510 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question 3G Plan Questions

So i recently was on T-Mobiles site purposely seeking for a cheap plan.

My intention during plan custimizaition was to get a cheap plan, a free phone, and to just take the SIM for use on something else.

So i concocted a plan of 300 minutes (29.99), with "Unlimited Web + Unlimited Messages for phones" (19.99) *what A Steal!*. Of which comes to a total of $49.97 Monthly

Now heres the part were i start asking questions. While i know its feasibly possible to just use any carriers SIM on any unlocked GSM Device, what i want to make sure of is that this plan with the "Unlimited Web + Unlimited Messages for phones" would work on just about any Unlocked GSM Device.

The reason for my paranoia, is because of my attention to the "For Phones" on the data plans detail. Am i going to be limited on web browsing, and/or are they using some proxy to route data to only websites? is it strictly cellphone browser limited? My point is... Can i use this "data plan" on any 3G Capable GSM Phone and/or device? And not be bogged/limited to only special "service requirements"?

Please someone ease my confusion

Last edited by ranmasaotome510; 06-12-2009 at 08:33 PM.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:34 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

gbm85 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargbm85 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargbm85 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargbm85 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: 3G Plan Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranmasaotome510 View Post
So i recently was on T-Mobiles site purposely seeking for a cheap plan.

My intention during plan custimizaition was to get a cheap plan, a free phone, and to just take the SIM for use on something else.

So i concocted a plan of 300 minutes (29.99), with "Unlimited Web + Unlimited Messages for phones" (19.99) *what A Steal!*. Of which comes to a total of $49.97 Monthly

Now heres the part were i start asking questions. While i know its feasibly possible to just use any carriers SIM on any unlocked GSM Device, what i want to make sure of is that this plan with the "Unlimited Web + Unlimited Messages for phones" would work on just about any Unlocked GSM Device.

The reason for my paranoia, is because of my attention to the "For Phones" on the data plans detail. Am i going to be limited on web browsing, and/or are they using some proxy to route data to only websites? is it strictly cellphone browser limited? My point is... Can i use this "data plan" on any 3G Capable GSM Phone and/or device? And not be bogged/limited to only special "service requirements"?

Please someone ease my confusion
Yes you can use the web plan with an unlocked PDA and it will work. You may have to tweak some settings, but it will work. You better hope to the gods that T-Mobile never catches you, because they'll terminate your service in a second if they find out you're using the $20 web/msg plan on a PDA that is normally $35 for the same plan.

You WILL NOT, however, be able to use 3G with an unlocked phone. T-Mobile uses a 3G frequency that is extremely rare, if not entirely unique. Your best bet is to buy a used T-Mobile phone AND MAKE SURE IT IS A T-MOBILE USA PHONE WITH 3G. No other phone will work.

The Google phones are the only non-TMo branded phones that work on T-Mobile 3G, and that's only because they essentially are T-Mobile phones without the logo.

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion