PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2009, 11:43 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 and every single phone verizon had...
Carrier: Verizon

Noir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Taxing in chicago == 75 dollars extra on bill!?

So I was checking my verizon wireless statements and I notice something unusual. My bill (for my plan is 79.99 basic unlimited plan with 450 minutes) and I usually expect a bill around 135 because that is what it has always been. My bill is now a whopping 195 dollars - and why? Chicago taxes!

Is this correct? That state and city charges extra fees for use of service or was I just snowballed from a vzw customer service rep? My contract expires in a few months and I have honestly considered switching to sprint or someone else at this point. My texts go through when I want them to (considering the horror stories I heard from sprint) but my option is sprint. I guess second question is should I switch to sprint? Because my bill is going to be between 175 and 195 due to taxes and its ridiculous!
Old 06-01-2009, 11:47 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Moto Droid, TP, PalmPRE, TP2

aarondeep is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to aarondeep
Re: Taxing in chicago == 75 dollars extra on bill!?

That sounds really strange man, 75$ tax? Call and talk to another service rep, that is total BS. Half of those reps just want to get you off the phone.
With a big increase like that in your bill I would think that you could get out of your contract.

Here is a copy of that agreement: http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/f...rAgreement.jsp
Quote:
Our Rights to Make Changes

Your service is subject to our business policies, practices and procedures, which we can change without notice. UNLESS OTHERWISE PROHIBITED BY LAW, WE CAN ALSO CHANGE PRICES AND ANY OTHER CONDITIONS IN THIS AGREEMENT AT ANY TIME BY SENDING YOU WRITTEN NOTICE PRIOR TO THE BILLING PERIOD IN WHICH THE CHANGES WOULD GO INTO EFFECT. IF YOU CHOOSE TO USE YOUR SERVICE AFTER THAT POINT, YOU'RE ACCEPTING THE CHANGES. IF THE CHANGES HAVE A MATERIAL ADVERSE EFFECT ON YOU, HOWEVER, YOU CAN END THE AFFECTED SERVICE, WITHOUT ANY EARLY TERMINATION FEE, JUST BY CALLING US WITHIN 60 DAYS AFTER WE SEND NOTICE OF THE CHANGE.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:05 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy Note II

Geekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via MSN to Geekcop

I doubt switching will do you any good. If the VZW rep is giving you valid info, then you're going to have that tax no matter who your carrier is.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:12 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: SPRINT

orionsbuckle is halfway to VIP status based on reporionsbuckle is halfway to VIP status based on reporionsbuckle is halfway to VIP status based on reporionsbuckle is halfway to VIP status based on reporionsbuckle is halfway to VIP status based on reporionsbuckle is halfway to VIP status based on reporionsbuckle is halfway to VIP status based on reporionsbuckle is halfway to VIP status based on reporionsbuckle is halfway to VIP status based on reporionsbuckle is halfway to VIP status based on rep

hey yall! i work for sprint and the tax on your bill shouldnt really go over 12% of your total bill.

ive been with sprint for over 2 yrs not and i have no problems with pic mail or text messages not going through. plus you will save money. the same plan you have with sprint is $10 less plus even with taxes your bill should be no more then your monthly bill should be no higher then $80. idk man just check it out hoped i helped!

HTC Mogul>HTC Touch>HTC TP>HTC Snap>Palm Pre>HTC TP2(PUKE)>HTC Hero>HTC Evo
htc... is it in ur blood?
Old 06-01-2009, 03:21 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint

jthomas8946 knows their stuffjthomas8946 knows their stuffjthomas8946 knows their stuffjthomas8946 knows their stuffjthomas8946 knows their stuffjthomas8946 knows their stuff

I know people have listed their horror stories, but I have been with Sprint for 10 years and I am not going anywhere. I have no problems that I didn't create on my own, either by flashing or tweaking. The packages are very cheap. I have 4 phones on the Simply Everything plan with 1500 minutes and my bill is around $175 each month.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:37 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Kaiser 8925
Carrier: T-Mobile

djquick is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via Yahoo to djquick

Yeah, that does seem outrageous. I would call them and complain about it and find out why that charge is so high. I think they might have made a mistake or a computer error or something. I live in Chicago (nw suburbs) and i've been with T-Mobile for years and never heard of that kind of charge (granted I refuse to support Cook County anymore).

Old 06-01-2009, 11:49 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Noir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIP

well
I hate to say it but vzw is right. After their taxes my bill is 104 dollars. That's about it...but then I notice that on most of my bills, excess charges for literally being a resident of chicago IL takes my bill to a whole new level of ridiculousness...

Quote:
I live in Chicago (nw suburbs) and i've been with T-Mobile for years and never heard of that kind of charge (granted I refuse to support Cook County anymore)
thats the problem a lot of the taxes are imposed by chicago alone and not as much Illinois. It kinda perplexes me on what to do though. My plan is over October 27th so Im not sure whether to switch now and do ETF I have no money to invest in a new phone because there's a lot going on
Old 06-02-2009, 02:23 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Kaiser 8925
Carrier: T-Mobile

djquick is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via Yahoo to djquick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
well
I hate to say it but vzw is right. After their taxes my bill is 104 dollars. That's about it...but then I notice that on most of my bills, excess charges for literally being a resident of chicago IL takes my bill to a whole new level of ridiculousness...

thats the problem a lot of the taxes are imposed by chicago alone and not as much Illinois. It kinda perplexes me on what to do though. My plan is over October 27th so Im not sure whether to switch now and do ETF I have no money to invest in a new phone because there's a lot going on

The only thing I suggest is if finances get in the way of switching, just wait it out and then when your contract is over, switch to another carrier. I live on the boarder of lake/cook county so I buy everything in lake county (cigs, gas, food, women) so I don't have to deal with the 12 different cook county tax b.s.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:47 AM
The PPCG CR Guy!
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint

Laos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Laos101

Dont believe everything you hear, There are thousands of Verizon Wireless customers in Chicago, many of them with internet access. I think it would be much more noticeable on the web if Verizon suddenly put a 75$ charge out of contract fee. This is BS and you can either sue in small claims court, or just demand contract termination and go to sprints SERO plan
Old 06-02-2009, 09:54 AM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by laos101 View Post
Dont believe everything you hear, There are thousands of Verizon Wireless customers in Chicago, many of them with internet access. I think it would be much more noticeable on the web if Verizon suddenly put a 75$ charge out of contract fee. This is BS and you can either sue in small claims court, or just demand contract termination and go to sprints SERO plan
copies and pastes bill

Verizon Wireless Surcharges and Other Charges & Credits Verizon Wireless Surcharges - Includes charges to recover or help defray costs of taxes and of governmental charges and fees imposed on us by the government. Other Charges and Credits - includes charges for products and services, and credits owing.
$17.16
Fed Universal Service Charge
Regulatory Charge
Administrative Charge

Taxes, Governmental Surcharges & Fees Includes sales, excise and other taxes and governmental surcharges and fees that we are required by law to bill customers.
$70.32
Chicago City E911 Fee
IL State Sales Tax
IL State Telecom Excise Tax
Cook Cnty Sales Tax
Cook Cnty Rta Sales Tax
Chicago City Sales Tax
Chicago MTT

ahem you were saying? For once it isn't verizon as much as I'd love for it to be verizon...
so I can say okay goodbye douchebags...this is chicago and IL

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion