PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2009, 12:10 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro(VZN)
Carrier: Verizon

russianmafioso is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Sprint 4G Data

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negrito View Post
Exactly!
Not really, they're selling you something as 4G when it in reality is not even close. Considering the fact that 3.5G GSM Standards like HSPA are JUST as fast if not FASTER.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:10 PM
MIA
Pocket PC: All HTC CDMA PPC
Carrier: Alltel

conflipper can't get a higher reputation levelconflipper can't get a higher reputation levelconflipper can't get a higher reputation levelconflipper can't get a higher reputation levelconflipper can't get a higher reputation levelconflipper can't get a higher reputation levelconflipper can't get a higher reputation levelconflipper can't get a higher reputation levelconflipper can't get a higher reputation levelconflipper can't get a higher reputation levelconflipper can't get a higher reputation level

look at the life of each one. HSPA has been around how long? WiMax how long? you are looking at something that has matured into a great speeds, to something that hasnt even hit mainstream at this time. So it "might" be faster in some areas, but at the same time, look at this question again, once WiMax has had time to grow.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:45 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

MiltonPro knows their stuffMiltonPro knows their stuffMiltonPro knows their stuffMiltonPro knows their stuffMiltonPro knows their stuffMiltonPro knows their stuffMiltonPro knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to MiltonPro Send a message via MSN to MiltonPro

Its all a marketing strategy. Sprint wants to claim as the first carrier to roll-out 4G technology(12MB is the max, yes HSDPA is at 14MB) But infact LTE has not finished.

Once its done. Yes, 100mb d/l speeds, yahdi,yahda, yahda. Both Verizon(CDMA) and AT&T(GSMA) will share the same network for the first time ever. Options to get i-phones and Bolds over to CDMA. Excluding Sprint for now, they are keeping their options open:

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2009/0...open-with-lte/

Its like Sprint now: "Largest and most dependable 3G network in America"

Ahh.... no not really, only largest in square footage for coverage. Verizon has the upper hand in subscribers and depedability..

Cities to get 4G next aside from B-more in 2009

Atlanta/Honolulu/Charlotte/Las Vegas/Chicago/Philadelphia/Dallas/Portland/Fort Worth/Seattle

Sprint also expects to launch service in multiple markets in 2010 including Boston, Houston, New York, San Francisco and Washington, D.C.

Its all Marketing. Dan is a smart, smart man. Whose to blame him...

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news...-interest.aspx

Last edited by MiltonPro; 04-14-2009 at 01:05 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:07 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Vogue

mikelsbid is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiltonPro View Post
Its all a marketing strategy.

Its like Sprint now: "Largest and most dependable 3G network in America"

Ahh.... no not really, only largest in square footage for coverage. Verizon has the upper hand in subscribers and depedability..
You lost me with the square footage remark. Should we not regard coverage area as the extent of size of the network? Knowing I will not need to roam to another provider is important for some is it not? Knowing I can get 3g speeds oustside of the highest populated areas is important to some.

I am not disagreeing with you it is marketing, but to me the actual landscape is the real feature someone should market, not how many users are on the network. I like being able to roll down the highway and still get 3G speeds, while my friend leaves the city limits with his Iphone and has no 3G. Extreme case I know.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:21 PM
Regular 'Geeker

MiltonPro knows their stuffMiltonPro knows their stuffMiltonPro knows their stuffMiltonPro knows their stuffMiltonPro knows their stuffMiltonPro knows their stuffMiltonPro knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelsbid View Post
You lost me with the square footage remark. Should we not regard coverage area as the extent of size of the network? Knowing I will not need to roam to another provider is important for some is it not? Knowing I can get 3g speeds oustside of the highest populated areas is important to some.

I am not disagreeing with you it is marketing, but to me the actual landscape is the real feature someone should market, not how many users are on the network. I like being able to roll down the highway and still get 3G speeds, while my friend leaves the city limits with his Iphone and has no 3G. Extreme case I know.
Good point, believe me I am a fan of Sprint for years. But the truth is that while more Verizon satellites hover over larger/more poulated cities. Sprint is spending time covering areas in Montana, South and North Dakota ect....
So yes, the few costumers there will enjoy 3G just like you and I. But I still dont get service in alot basements, metro stations(DC area),ect....
So you tell me whats more important for you.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:31 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Vogue

mikelsbid is just getting started

Great point, our hope is each customer knows what they get with each.
My tie in to 4G, I imagine the same will hold true for the the future 4G networks. Each provider has their benefits, myself I am a sprint fanboy. I like the netowrk, like the feautres, and happen to live in Chicago so I am also excited for the 4G rollout (this year) , I won't speculate as to when the LTE netowrks roll out here as that is like guessing when Verizon will bring FIOS to your town! No one knows. Or When ATT will offer you full Uverse coverage.

I should not make it sound like Sprint is crystal clear on their deployments, or VZ and ATT are not, but as a Chicagoland customer that is my current vantage point! I would assume people all around the US have different views.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:44 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Sadly, but true. I am the same way in my area. Great service and EVDO just about everywhere I go. Not the same for others, elsewhere.

Waiting on 4G myself, I little diappointed it rolled out in Baltimore MD, but will skip Wash. DC for the cities to get it this year. We are only 30 miles apart. oh well..
Old 04-14-2009, 01:58 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Hero

sorge is becoming a great contributor

Like it was said before, HSPA is a completely matured technology, WiMax is new. There are already upgrades to the Wimax (standard or technology or whatever you'd call it) that would increase speeds a whole lot. And you'll have fall back on their Rev. A network, it sounds like a winner for me.

Wimax also have the prospect to offer Boardband internet over a large, less populated area with slower speeds. I think its something like 31 miles with slower speeds over distance, and with the right equipment people who only had dialup could get decent speeds.

You also can't compare Italy to the United States, its just like mass transit systems, in a small country you can have everything interconnected rather easily, but the US is huge.

Last edited by sorge; 04-14-2009 at 02:05 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:24 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Palm Pre

johndeere92 is keeping up the good workjohndeere92 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via MSN to johndeere92

Quote:
Originally Posted by russianmafioso View Post
Right now Verizon is running test trials in certain markets... and ATT is building their network as we speak. The real problem is, you can all talk about how WiMax has launched as a 4G technology, but its not being pushed at 4G speeds and its only available in Balitmore... Which is not even in the top 10 biggest cities in the nation(its actually #20).

Not to mention that it will only be used by ONE carried, Sprint and its being sold under the name Xohm?? Not to mention the fact that We all know WiMax is clearly slower than real 4G(LTE), which everyone else will be using.

Well, the thing is... right now WiMax doesnt go that fast. Its fast, but its nothing close to what LTE is going to be pushing. To give you an idea, ATT will be pushing LTE through their set top boxes for homes. So people can get Uverse-like quality through LTE. LTE's speeds have been proven to be ridiculously fast but the real question will remain what speed will carriers put on it?
But think about why Sprint's EVDO Rev A is so much faster than AT&Ts 3G, or at least it is where I live. It's because Sprint has a much smaller user base than AT&T and Verizon. So even though your so called "real" 4G (LTE) will be potentially faster, the actually speeds will be slower with more users sucking up the bandwidth.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:30 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Fuze
Carrier: AT&T

Hafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiltonPro View Post
Sadly, but true. I am the same way in my area. Great service and EVDO just about everywhere I go. Not the same for others, elsewhere.

Waiting on 4G myself, I little diappointed it rolled out in Baltimore MD, but will skip Wash. DC for the cities to get it this year. We are only 30 miles apart. oh well..
You're a Redskins fan, you should be used to disappointment by now!

Having problems finding what you're looking for? Here are some tips on how to search the site more effectively.

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion